Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It really is a shocking sensation.

I remember the first time I came off a highway doing my first trip over a 100 miles. I had been driving at 75 for a while and felt like I wasn't even moving at 45
I used to have a 2006 ‘Vette. I was about an hour into a 12 hour drive and hit a really long bridge section. No cars behind and no cars in front. Had been waiting for such a moment. Hit 145. Car had more in it. I didn’t. Worst 11 hours of my life after that, creeping along at 75-80mph...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm quite certain that we have the following gear ratios:

1 - 4.484
2 - 2.872
3 - 1.842
4 - 1.414
5 - 1
6 - 0.742
Final - 3.16

6000rpm in 5th would then be 149mph with another gear still left to go (6th goes past 200mph), so these cars are definitely not gear limited in any way. When it shifts into 6th at redline, the revs drop to ~4500, which is peak torque, so I reckon it's capable of 160mph+. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

1 - 4.484
2 - 2.872
3 - 1.842
4 - 1.414
5 - 1
6 - 0.742
Final - 3.16

6000rpm in 5th would then be 149mph with another gear still left to go (6th goes past 200mph), so these cars are definitely not gear limited in any way. When it shifts into 6th at redline, the revs drop to ~4500, which is peak torque, so I reckon it's capable of 160mph+. Just my 2c.
Okay that makes a lot more sense than some things I've read. My thinking has always been "probably 165 or so" (untuned except removing the governors) but I don't really know. I think you're probably right though @LeVeL .

·
Registered
164 Posts

1 - 4.484
2 - 2.872
3 - 1.842
4 - 1.414
5 - 1
6 - 0.742
Final - 3.16

In my '14 with 2.0t, it shifted down to 5th at about 110, so top speed wasn't reached in 6th gear. I know, different engine but something to keep in mind. Never did a top speed run in my Sport.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In my '14 with 2.0t, it shifted down to 5th at about 110, so top speed wasn't reached in 6th gear. I know, different engine but something to keep in mind. Never did a top speed run in my Sport.
Part of the problem is that wind resistance (aerodynamics) becomes a real issue at high speeds well over 100 mph, and obviously especially once you're approaching 150. That, and the leverage by the time you hit sixth is really working against you. But the 2.0, even though it's twin-scroll and a very nice motor in its own right, isn't a twin-turbo 2.7 V6, so I imagine it might have downshifted for lack of torque. I also know that if you hammer it at almost any speed it's got a tendency to downshift in general, but I don't know how the logic is affected at very high speeds with regard to that. It would be interesting to see that though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Top speed comes down to power, aerodynamics, and gearing. These cars have plenty of power, I'm guessing the coefficient of drag is fairly low, and the gearing is plentiful (as I discussed earlier). Compare it to some Euro luxo-barges from the last 20-30 years and you see that the Sport certainly has the "creds" to run with the best of them. If those cars could do 155+ back then, why wouldn't the FFS hit similar speeds?

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
281 Posts
Top speed comes down to power, aerodynamics, and gearing. These cars have plenty of power, I'm guessing the coefficient of drag is fairly low, and the gearing is plentiful (as I discussed earlier). Compare it to some Euro luxo-barges from the last 20-30 years and you see that the Sport certainly has the "creds" to run with the best of them. If those cars could do 155+ back then, why wouldn't the FFS hit similar speeds?
Most sources I could find list the Fusion at 0.27 - 0.275 of a drag coefficient. Not too shabby at all. These are definitely 160+ capable of unlocked, tuned prolly even further. Talked to a few Europeans who love the Mondeo and are very disappointed the Sport never made it over, I would have loved to see our Sports ripping the Autobahn and embarrassing Germans in their territory.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most sources I could find list the Fusion at 0.27 - 0.275 of a drag coefficient.
Let's use that.

And let's take a rudimentary approach to estimating frontal area by simply taking the car's height (52.8") and multiplying it by the width (72.9", according to Edmunds). Convert to square feet... 26.73sqft.

Play around with that here: Calculate HP For Speed

And we get a 186mph car. Theoretically. And without taking gearing into account. So this has been useless but still fun.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
281 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Let's use that.

And let's take a rudimentary approach to estimating frontal area by simply taking the car's height (52.8") and multiplying it by the width (72.9", according to Edmunds). Convert to square feet... 26.73sqft.

Play around with that here: Calculate HP For Speed

And we get a 186mph car. Theoretically. And without taking gearing into account. So this has been useless but still fun.
Interesting that that number is exactly the MPH max in the PCM, if you go in and adjust it. In other words, that's the highest value you can plug into the PCM. That also corresponds to 250 KPH I think, which makes sense with the car sharing a lot of European roots.

EDIT: As @LeVeL points out below, the right number is actually 300 KPH.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Now we just gotta find a big stretch of road and disable the governor somehow..
Disabling the governor is easy. Any tuner can do that. You can do it yourself even if you get HP Tuners. SCT may be able to as well but I've never used SCT so I wouldn't know, but whoever is tuning your car (your or whoever) can do that. Just keep in mind there's more than one, there are a lot of limiters for various things so it's always a question of what "the next one" is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting that that number is exactly the MPH max in the PCM, if you go in and adjust it. In other words, that's the highest value you can plug into the PCM. That also corresponds to 250 KPH I think, which makes sense with the car sharing a lot of European roots.
186mph = 300kph
155mph = 250kph

·
Registered
635 Posts
Now we just gotta find a big stretch of road and disable the governor somehow..
Not only disable the governor, but the State Police, Sheriff, mayor, and local cops!

Reactions: Skipe and Engineer

·
Registered
635 Posts
@Shawnski I'm not sure offhand where the settings for those are but if you can give me the PIDs I'm sure HP Tuners has a way to turn those off. It has settings for everything else. 😉
LOL!! You’d be a billionaire if you could pull that off!!
Is it weird to fantasize about being the subject of a Blues Brothers-style massive police chase while on a mission from God? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I read a story years ago about a 67 mustang had a 428 SCJ dual quads, geared for top speed. It was purpose built for the Canonball run, said it was capable of over 180 I think top end. I wish I could find the magazine it was in, really cool story.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
275 Posts
When was it built? 180mph in a 67 car is impressive no matter what (aero suuuucked back then) but it would be way more impressive if they did it back in the 60s or 70s. @Skipe

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When was it built? 180mph in a 67 car is impressive no matter what (aero suuuucked back then) but it would be way more impressive if they did it back in the 60s or 70s. @Skipe
NASCAR was doing 180 @ Daytona in 67 and that was far from a straight line run.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts