Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who's removed the speed governors actually tried pushing the car to see where it runs out of breath? Both:

1. Without a tune (other than lifting the governors) and
2. With a tune?

I'm just curious if anyone's done this. On a safe closed racing course, of course. Not suggesting otherwise.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
twin force fusion has done the 1/2 mile at 140 and ran out of gear , only one I can think of

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twin force fusion has done the 1/2 mile at 140 and ran out of gear , only one I can think of
If that's actually the case, that would suggest that removing the top speed governor serves no purpose because the car over-revs past 140 anyhow. So the standard limit at 138 mph would actually make sense in that case. That's a little disappointing, but at least it's a good reason for the top speed to be set at what it is, I guess. I've been way off then. I always kind of thought these cars could hit probably 165 before they ran out of breath. But the low gearing gets them I guess.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If that's actually the case, that would suggest that removing the top speed governor serves no purpose because the car over-revs past 140 anyhow. So the standard limit at 138 mph would actually make sense in that case. That's a little disappointing, but at least it's a good reason for the top speed to be set at what it is, I guess. I've been way off then. I always kind of thought these cars could hit probably 165 before they ran out of breath. But the low gearing gets them I guess.
Hi Engineer. I recall reading somewhere that the terminal velocity (limited by horsepower, aerodynamics and gearing) of an ungoverned, stock tune Fusion Sport would be ~155 mph.

It would take well over 1 mile plus to reach it. And you would not want to be doing it, if of sound mind. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I,ve done about 135, was plenty fast enough for me, and still was pulling like a freight train too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I,ve done about 135, was plenty fast enough for me, and still was pulling like a freight train too.
Yikes! It looks like you have the best color Sport - so certainly possible. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Whaaaat? Come on, you know what the best color is. The best color ;)

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've done 140+ in mine, I recall it going to 143/145 given it took me about half a mile on a very long highway stretch. It's freaky once you let off

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done 140+ in mine, I recall it going to 143/145 given it took me about half a mile on a very long highway stretch. It's freaky once you let off
What does it do? Lurch and slow down really fast or something? I know the PCM/TCM generally try to keep the gears engaged when you're not applying any gas because in situations like that it can shut off the engine and not burn any fuel at all, but I imagine at that speed it might create enough drag to slow the car really quickly if you're not giving it any gas. Just guessing though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What does it do? Lurch and slow down really fast or something? I know the PCM/TCM generally try to keep the gears engaged when you're not applying any gas because in situations like that it can shut off the engine and not burn any fuel at all, but I imagine at that speed it might create enough drag to slow the car really quickly if you're not giving it any gas. Just guessing though.
It's the amount of drag on the car, and knowing that you're going double highway speeds. Realization usually hits you harder than the actual drag.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
281 Posts
Drag is crazy at those speeds. One of the reasons reaching 300MPH was an issue for so long with a "regular" vehicle. You can add more power but then you're just using it to move more air out of the way, not even mentioning the amount of fuel you're guzzling, the tires you're chewing through, and the distances involved to reach that speed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I figure if my '92 SHO could do 160mph with only a chip tune, larger MAF, and true dual exhaust, this could easily beat that without the speed governor.

·
Registered
618 Posts
They were only 220 HP, but back then that was big horse power. Hell a 5.0 was only 225 back then, a stock 2.0 eco makes 240 245 depending on year and car it's in. 300 is easy with the right mods and good tuning.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
They were only 220 HP, but back then that was big horse power. Hell a 5.0 was only 225 back then, a stock 2.0 eco makes 240 245 depending on year and car it's in. 300 is easy with the right mods and good tuning.
Engines have come a long way. The 5.4 V8 in my Expedition only makes 260HP, which is much less than the 2.7L which is literally half its displacement and twice as efficient.

·
Registered
634 Posts
That reminds me of the sensation you get after you’ve been driving 90-95 mph for an extended distance like 10-20 miles then exit the highway onto a two lane and have to drive 45-55 mph which feels like you’re creeping through a mall parking lot!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
That reminds me of the sensation you get after you’ve been driving 90-95 mph for an extended distance like 10-20 miles then exit the highway onto a two lane and have to drive 45-55 mph which feels like you’re creeping through a mall parking lot!
It really is a shocking sensation.

I remember the first time I came off a highway doing my first trip over a 100 miles. I had been driving at 75 for a while and felt like I wasn't even moving at 45

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I remember my '92 SHO was putting down about 265 fwhp, not too shabby. I use to love whipping BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and other high end 4 doors in it. I even took a few 2 drs as well...:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah, mine too 136 4.2k rpms so Id guess 150 - 160. 5th and 6th gear could have been changed though to cruise faster Im sure. I know they keep the gears short to keep the engine temp up but its sickening that im at 2500rps at 80....kills my mileage

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, mine too 136 4.2k rpms so Id guess 150 - 160. 5th and 6th gear could have been changed though to cruise faster Im sure. I know they keep the gears short to keep the engine temp up but its sickening that im at 2500rps at 80....kills my mileage
I never really thought about that. I always figured it was just a leverage thing, that they wanted the extra leverage the lower gearing gets you, and were willing to sacrifice top-end to get more acceleration that way. Never really thought about increasing engine temps being a goal there. Makes you wonder about all the folks who put cooler thermostats in, and how the engine is going up and down and up and down in temp, expanding, contracting, expanding, contracting....... Probably better to just let it stay a little warmer.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Heat cycles are good, seasons the block, LOL :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts