Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else who owns the new 2017 Fusion Sport is having a rattling noise in the passenger compartment, in the rear, somewhere above/behind the rear seats? I have removed everything from the trunk, and everything from inside the car, including sun glasses in the upper compartment, but the problem persists. I only hear it when the road is rough or I'm on the concrete highway going over the expansion joints in the road. I can't pinpoint the problem and it's driving me crazy. I've had my girlfriend drive while I sat in the back trying to locate the problem. I've tried tightening everything, touching everything and nothing. Still the rattle. I'm almost tempted to get a stethoscope and placing it on the headliner to see if the problem is a loose clip or something above.

Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haven't really paid attention due to the fact I always have my radio on, but I will pay closer attention and see if I can hear it mine. Keep us updated on what you find!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If I set my volume above about 12 with any song with decent amount of bass in it I will start getting a rattle in the same area, somewhere in the back. If I leave the volume down a little bit, it will eventually go away until I turn up the volume again. I haven't had the time to start trying to figure out what it is though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine bought a Caddy.

He was hearing a rattling noise from the back of his car and like you
went through the whole back end and could not find it.

He took it into the dealers and it baffled them too, so they ended up
taking the panels off and inside one of them they found an empty
coke bottle with a note in it stating "when you find this, you have
found your rattle".

Of course it p***ed him off, but after awhile they were all laughing
about it.

On a serious side, hope you find the problem, nothing like buying a
new car and having it make any kind of noise on you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a similar sound on rough pavement that I finally located coming from just behind my sunroof in the headliner. If I press up on the headliner while going over rough pavement, I can make the sound go away. I also noticed that the sound is greatly diminished with the sunshade closed. My guess is that the sunshade is moving around in its tracks and causing the rattle, but I'm not sure. I am going to have this looked at next time I'm in for service. I don't hear it that often but on the right road it can be annoying.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I have two rattles. The minor rattle from the sunshade that Frizz described, which goes away if I slide the sunshade about 2 inches from completely open, and the rear rattle you describe. With music with good bass, not necessarily loud, something in the back rattles. Sounds like the parcel shelf or something, but I can't replicate it myself. I was thinking maybe it is the whole shelf could be rattling from the bass, so I was going to try stuffing a small microfiber towel or something underneath from inside the trunk at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a rattle that seems to start around 60mph and gets worse the faster I go. The rattle seems to be come from near the mid section of the drivers door or lower. I can't pin point it at all and seems to be affected by the speed of the car. Which means it gets louder as I go faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the rattle but just pressed on the headliner and haven't had it since. However my driver's seat is very noisy. It creaks and rattles, haven't looked into it, hopefully this weekend. Seat also feels loose so we shall see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Regarding the driver's seat: I have the same issue and did some research a while back. This was reported by many Fusion owners and one solution seems to work, at least for a while: Try getting out of the car and cranking the seat all the way up as far as it will go, and then return it to your preferred position. I tried this and I didn't get the squeak/ creak for several weeks. It has since crept back in so I'm going to try another suggestion I found where the guy used some silicon spray down towards the front of the seat track. I will post here if that seems to work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Regarding the driver's seat: I have the same issue and did some research a while back. This was reported by many Fusion owners and one solution seems to work, at least for a while: Try getting out of the car and cranking the seat all the way up as far as it will go, and then return it to your preferred position. I tried this and I didn't get the squeak/ creak for several weeks. It has since crept back in so I'm going to try another suggestion I found where the guy used some silicon spray down towards the front of the seat track. I will post here if that seems to work.
Thanks, I'm going to give that a try. This has been driving me crazy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SOLVED!!! It was the rear belt buckle.... read on...

SOLVED!!! Turns out it was the rear passenger side belt buckle. Because of the inflatable belts , the buckle is bigger and when it slides down and gets wedged in between the seat cushion and the hard plastic molding next to the door, it transfers the bumps of the road into the buckle. And it rattles. SOLUTION: slide the buckle up on the belt and rest it on the seat a bit so it doesn't fall down in between.
No more rattle!!

Although feeding the "trunk monkey" was also a good idea! LOL

Thanks everyone!!!

R.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
SOLVED!!! Turns out it was the rear passenger side belt buckle. Because of the inflatable belts , the buckle is bigger and when it slides down and gets wedged in between the seat cushion and the hard plastic molding next to the door, it transfers the bumps of the road into the buckle. And it rattles. SOLUTION: slide the buckle up on the belt and rest it on the seat a bit so it doesn't fall down in between.
No more rattle!!

Although feeding the "trunk monkey" was also a good idea! LOL

Thanks everyone!!!

R.
Thats not where my rattle is coming from, but hopefully a few people get there's fixed this way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a rattle that is coming from the rear parcel shelf. Only happens with music that has heavy bass, I tried putting a small chunk of weatherstrip to wedge it...didn't work though.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a rattle that is coming from the rear parcel shelf. Only happens with music that has heavy bass, I tried putting a small chunk of weatherstrip to wedge it...didn't work though.
same issue for me as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a rattle that seems to start around 60mph and gets worse the faster I go. The rattle seems to be come from near the mid section of the drivers door or lower. I can't pin point it at all and seems to be affected by the speed of the car. Which means it gets louder as I go faster.
I have the same exact issue. Have you figured anything out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try securing the fuel funnel located in the spare tire well?

I had the same rattle noted in this thread. It seemed to be coming for the same right side / rear seat / rear wheel area and was noticeable each time I made a right turn into my driveway (over a curb) .. initially I though it was a loose shock absorber or a suspension joint that was missing a bushing which all checked out OK...

I noticed the same right rear seatbelt buckle noise too which seemed to be source of this noise as well however, the noise did not disappear upon the adjustment applied to the buckle when not in use.

Furthering my search revealed the factory supplied fuel funnel located in the spare tire storage well in the trunk,... it was sitting loose and free to move with mild jostling. I noticed when I picked it up and dropped it into the wheel well that the noise was similar to that when I drove over rough pavement or into the driveway.

I have since secured the funnel and the noise I have noticed described in this thread has not occurred again... at least for me. Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I live in DFW and it rarely gets below 40 degrees. When it does, I get all sorts of plastic rattles. The dealer won't deal with them. Hope your rattles can be addressed. cockerdogs

1 - 20 of 38 Posts