Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Nearing a year with my FFS, and during that time it felt fairly fuel efficient. That was until gas started getting near $4 a gallon for premium here in Utah and I started looking closer. My MPG meter seems to be at least 3-5 MPG under actual consistently, and recently, no matter how easily I drive I can't seem to beat more than 15-17 MPG.

My car is nearing 40k miles, but that still feels a bit early to me for the sparkplugs, not to mention it still feels nice and only occasionally idles rougher when really cold in the morning.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Shots in the dark
1. Winter fuel formula may be causing an issue.
2. Check Air Filter
3. You said you haven't noticed any power issues, so I assume you are not having intake valve issues, but might be worth a check, if you have a bore scope.
4. Tire pressure check.

On a side note, there is a post in here about resetting/adjusting your MPG monitor. I did mine a year our so back. My
readings are within 2 tenths, now.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shots in the dark
1. Winter fuel formula may be causing an issue.
2. Check Air Filter
3. You said you haven't noticed any power issues, so I assume you are not having intake valve issues, but might be worth a check, if you have a bore scope.
4. Tire pressure check.

On a side note, there is a post in here about resetting/adjusting your MPG monitor. I did mine a year our so back. My
readings are within 2 tenths, now.
I know my MPG meter is off for sure, so I'll reset that. But yeah I'm just confused since others tend to get at least 18-19 MPG here when driving nicely. Maybe since I live in Utah and it's becoming winter?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Here is the post about MPG Adjust. See @metroplex post starting at #14 and read down from there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not being judgy, but back when I first got the car I was only averaging 15mpg. Directly related to my right foot and WOT.

Nowadays, I'm averaging around 22mpg. Bit more chilled in traffic and finding faster acceleration responses around 3/4 pedal rather than WOT.

Measured the consumption on some trips recently. Got 44mpg running at 60mph on cruise (15 mile run). Got 30mpg at 80mph on cruise (2x250mile journeys, same mileage). Fairly flat roads and minimal traffic.

Right foot makes a huge difference.

The car mileage has gotten better though, as it has gotten a bit older - maybe 2-3 mpg better over 4 years and 43k miles.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not being judgy, but back when I first got the car I was only averaging 15mpg. Directly related to my right foot and WOT.

Nowadays, I'm averaging around 22mpg. Bit more chilled in traffic and finding faster acceleration responses around 3/4 pedal rather than WOT.

Measured the consumption on some trips recently. Got 44mpg running at 60mph on cruise (15 mile run). Got 30mpg at 80mph on cruise (2x250mile journeys, same mileage). Fairly flat roads and minimal traffic.

The car mileage has gotten better though, as it has gotten a bit older - maybe 2-3 mpg better over 4 years and 43k miles.
Agreed. I am pretty light on the throttle tho from what I can tell.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Bro this is hella funny, cause this was def my problem ... But I wasn'tnt complaining 😏

·
Registered
419 Posts
Agreed. I am pretty light on the throttle tho from what I can tell.
Its somewhat relative. You'll use more gas in sport too.

A big difference for me also is leaving a bigger gap in heavy traffic so I'm off the brake more. The freeway I travel on is in the top 5 most congested in NA i believe. Leaving a couple extra car lengths means I can coast a big more. Yeah means other cars can cut in more but I've chilled more over that. Stopping and starting sucks gas big time on this heavy car.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hey Fozzy,
What's WOT? I'm also getting 14-15mpg in city driving only (I floored it every now and then though). I refilled my tank the other day to test out something; regular driving with no flooring (so difficult) to see how much I'm actually getting :D

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
73 Posts
Hey Fozzy,
What's WOT? I'm also getting 14-15mpg in city driving only (I floored it every now and then though). I refilled my tank the other day to test out something; regular driving with no flooring (so difficult) to see how much I'm actually getting :D
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Exactly what you stated "I floored it every now and then though", don't worry I'm guilty too...... LOL

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've been about 19 to 20 around town, but I don't put it to the wood a lot either unless I'm doing some logging and need a few good hard pulls from a stop. If I do anything long on the freeway I can get 26 27 pretty easy, but got to keep it around 70.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've been about 19 to 20 around town, but I don't put it to the wood a lot either unless I'm doing some logging and need a few good hard pulls from a stop. If I do anything long on the freeway I can get 26 27 pretty easy, but got to keep it around 70.
Yeah I imagine when you're putting out ~500 lb/ft you probably don't have to push it hard ;). Your max power is, like some others on here, just awesome.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's kinda scary after looking a bare 2.7 block, LOL. I was looking at one on eBay, and thought, damn that thing is holding 500 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What I typically do is put it in Sport but shift with the paddles. When in sport it retains each gear longer for better acceleration BUT we all know gas mileage is directly related to engine speed (and that right foot). So, if I’m not trying to haul ass, I just use the paddles and shift up quicker for less revs and, hopefully, a little better mileage. I use Sport primarily for the better suspension reactions and cornering.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its somewhat relative. You'll use more gas in sport too.

A big difference for me also is leaving a bigger gap in heavy traffic so I'm off the brake more. The freeway I travel on is in the top 5 most congested in NA i believe. Leaving a couple extra car lengths means I can coast a big more. Yeah means other cars can cut in more but I've chilled more over that. Stopping and starting sucks gas big time on this heavy car.
I actually get better mileage around town in S mode. 20.1 vs 18.6 using the same 93 octane from my local quick fill. I recently went from State College Pa to Washington DC......cruise control set to 79 mph got 25.1. On the way back I got Exxon 93 octane and was set to 80....I passed another FFS and we played in traffic for 10-15 miles at 100ish....got 27.3 mpg. All in S mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Things to note...
I don't live in Utah, but the fuel quality where I live has dropped dramatically for regular grade (that I put in my daily driver RSX). My MPG has dropped 3mpg with the same style of driving/same routes. It is possible that your station has gotten lower quality fuel, or fuel with a higher alcohol content than normal. I have not filled back up yet, but I am going to a different station than the one near my house to see if MPG improves. So, if you have not tried a different station, or different brand, maybe give that a shot.

I didn't notice you mentioning mileage on the car. Check your spark plugs, air filter, and because direct injection, intake manifold buildup. How many miles on your current oil? I've noticed on multiple cars that as I approach 3-4000 miles my MPG drops, tells me it's about time for an oil change without looking at the sticker I put in the car after I change it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Don't forget the winter mixes of fuels may be playing into this. Winter fuel mixes are not as mpg friendly as the summer mixes.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone, since my last post I have been really babying the car and finally got to 17MPG! (It was reported as 20MPG by the car but...)

I basically just drove like a real grandma and did pretty okay. Fuel mixing might be hurting me, but I always make sure to use Chevron gas which from what I understand is high quality.

Car is at 40k and I changed the oil like... 2k ago? I do worry alot about valve buildup as I haven't installed a catch can yet (really should get on that). Sparks I was planning to do at 50k but if I notice much more poor idling I may do it earlier. I did observe several misfires through ForScan on its monitoring software.

I'll keep y'all posted. I'm gonna try and see if I can even get close to 20MPG actual. My route is about half city and half highway so I should be getting 20MPG with my babying I think.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can get 19 20 pretty easy around town here at 670 alt, but with winter gas, I'm gonna bet that will change. Think I<m on my last tank of 93 anyways for the year, go back to a de tuned 87 oct tune till spring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts