Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Fusion Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my FFS this last weekend after drooling over them for months. I grew up loving cars and at the ripe age of 31 this is what would be considered my first performance car. I've always loved the sounds BOVs make but I've never owned a turbocharged car before.

My question for those of you who have a BOV of any brand on their FFS is this. Does it go off constantly with daily driving? Or is it pretty quite with normal driving?

I'd really like to put one on my car but I don't want to be annoyed by it if it's going off constantly and/or have it bug my wife and kids when they're in the car.

Bonus question: Which BOV/adapter do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
The stock bov works perfectly if it's the sound your after then just get the GFB adapter with vent to atmosphere option and you will have the whoosh sound your looking for any rpm over 2500ish should make the whoosh sound steeda also makes the adapter

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Fusion Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock bov works perfectly if it's the sound your after then just get the GFB adapter with vent to atmosphere option and you will have the whoosh sound your looking for any rpm over 2500ish should make the whoosh sound steeda also makes the adapter
The sound is what I'm after. I know it doesn't actually add any performance.

I'm just wondering if it will be going off constantly with normal driving. I want the sound but I feel like if it's going odd every time I accelerate even lightly it would get annoying.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Yes anything over 5ish psi boost it will make the noise and the more boost the more noise lol

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Get the steeda bov adapter it is only 59 bucks so if you dont like it you did not lose to much

Reactions: DrKoooolAid

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a Boomba adaptor with a Turbosmart valve on mine, It's not loud. With the windows up, you'll never hear it unless your in it hard and drop the throatal

·
Registered
331 Posts
Or you could just disconnect the recirculating hose from the diverter and plug where it connected to the intake pipe. That’ll let you hear how it sounds without have to buy anything.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
That is some good advise Hootushead , the easiest things are free lol

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
134 Posts
#1 Don't buy a Boomba or Steeda adapter - they aren't blow off valves...they are just a $60 paper weights with a hole cut in the metal to release air to allow you to hear the sound...they serve 0 purpose other than releasing air/pressure (air/pressure that shouldn't be released BTW) - they actually have been known to cause issues because they don't allow the pressure to build properly causing lag/delays/throttle response issues.

#2 The GFB diverter is just an upgraded version of the stock diverter & requires you to take parts from the stock diverter & swap them to the GFB for it to function...which for the cost you pay for thd GFB...makes no sense to me but 🤷‍♂️

#3 Turbosmart is the only company I'm aware that makes a real electronic BOV for our cars - your can buy a plumb back option or a VTA option.

Whatever you do...don't buy the adapter and don't do the stupid chair foot mod referenced above either....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why exactly do you have the adapter with the Turbosmart??
I start out with the Boomba and I did'nt pay much for it, then I decided to buy a Turbosmart because they handle high boost better than the stock one will. I know the Boomba is really not a good thing, and I,m gonna pull it at some point so it's back to being bypassed into the intake. Biggest reason I had it was so I could hear it open when I was chasing an issue without having to look at my data as I,m driving. Other than that it needs to come back off, it's colder than hell here right now, so it's gonna have to wait.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Get the steeda bov adapter it is only 59 bucks so if you dont like it you did not lose to much
FYI this doesn't work with 2019. I tried to get it to work finally talked to steeda and they said the 2019 had a larger diameter so it didn't match up. I bought the 50/50 turbosmart dual port (50% recirc/ 50%bov)

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
You can do the chair foot to try it out, but if you like it, go with another method for the long term. The chair feet aren't made for hot/cold cycling, and the chair foot will dry rot within a couple years and could fail.

For the record, i had the chair foot in my old Sport for three years. It looked pretty bad when I removed it at the end of the lease, but nobody ever complained. It wasn't hard to keep it quiet if I wanted to, but I rarely wanted to. In fact, I'm pretty sure the vta killed my fuel mileage because I was on and off the throttle so much just to hear it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have the Turbosmart recirculating diverter, basically replicates the stock bypass/diverter function but made by Turbosmart. I recommend just keeping it stock. Not that the TS is bad, but I didn't really feel any benefit.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I installed the chair foot method today just to try it and surprisingly it is very quiet only noticed it over 4000 rpms and for 4 bucks why not lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok, I,ve gotta be the guy. What the hell is the " chair foot method " ? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remove the short hose going between the blow off valve and turbo air inlet hose on the firewall side of the engine. Put a chair foot over the fitting on the turbo air inlet hose so that you don't suck debris into the turbo. Leave the blow off valve fitting open to vent into the engine compartment.

Chair foot at Menards

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ok, I,ve gotta be the guy. What the hell is the " chair foot method " ? lol
There diverter valve vents back into the rear intake duct through a hose connecting the two. You can disconnect the hose that runs between them from the intake duct side and then plug that opening in the intake duct. Then the diverter will vent to atmosphere, giving you the BOV sound.

There are “chair feet” that fit over where that hose connected that people usually secure with a hose clamp. However, a rubber chair foot isn’t designed for the environment under a hood and can degrade quickly, possibly failing and getting sucked into the intake.

I personally used a hose adapter to attach one side of my RX catch can there instead of just plugging it off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
LOL, ok. I had a Boomba adaptor on mine, key word had. Pulled it back off the other day, and went back to it venting back to the intake. I have a Turbosmart BOV that works great, and having the adaptor was more of a tool for dialing in the valve, you can't hear it venting if it's not going to atmosphere so I ran the adaptor. far as the port on the intake tube goes, you could use just about anything that was rated for a hot environment. I've got a few tubes off the 1.5 eco's that still have the hose on them from cars I scrapped over the years. One thing I was always gonna do on my 13 was plumb ina hose to bypass it back to the intake track before the turbo, but never did. Since I have a ATP 2867R on it, I don't have a OEM type bypass, so I ended up with a Tiel type valve on the hot side pipe just ahead of the I/C. So if you were to look down behind the cooling between it and the engine you would see the top of the valve where the set screw is for adjusting it. Made dialing it in easy since all I needed was a allen socket on a long extension. One thing you could do with ours is go to a vacumm type valve versus the electric. All would do is wire the solenoid valve off the wires for the oem valve, but not sue why anyone would want to go that route other than maybe because they went with Tiel type valve in a aftermarket pipe. There's a lot of ways to work the whole bypass valve thing, but honestly I think what we have from the factory works good, if a guy wants the " whoosh " factor, more power to him. Though there is no real gain performance wise doing it, and if anything you might loose some, but I have yet to really feel any difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts