Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still need a new engine in my FFS and am contemplating replacing it myself.
So far everything I’ve read in the repair manual is within my skills but I don’t have access to a lift to drop the engine out the bottom.

I spoke with James who’s swapping out Marcelinos 2.7 for a 3.0 and he has the whole front clip off the car and is planning on pulling it out the top/front.

Anybody on here have any experience or feedback regarding the logistics of pulling this thing out the top?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I called my friend at ford and he said it can be pulled out the top calls for 22 hours labor lol but the book says drop it out the bottom

Reactions: Hootushead

·
Registered
645 Posts
3.0's are hard to find, found one over in South Bend Indiana for 2200, but no turbos. Not that its deal for me since I have them, but for a guy doing a swap it is.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still debating 3.0 vs 2.7 due time/money. Blowing up my engine has put significant stress and financial strain on my family. Actually feel pretty selfish for knowing if the engine blew I didn’t have enough $$$ to replace it easily. I just didn’t think it would go out.

Anyway, with what I’ve seen I can get a used lower mile 2.7 engine/turbos online for around $2500 and 3.0 for $2800 but I would have to pay for tuning just to get it running and the tuning could take awhile.

The responsible side of me (what little their is) says to just get the car back to stock as cheap and quick as possible.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Still debating 3.0 vs 2.7 due time/money. Blowing up my engine has put significant stress and financial strain on my family. Actually feel pretty selfish for knowing if the engine blew I didn’t have enough $$$ to replace it easily. I just didn’t think it would go out.

Anyway, with what I’ve seen I can get a used lower mile 2.7 engine/turbos online for around $2500 and 3.0 for $2800 but I would have to pay for tuning just to get it running and the tuning could take awhile.

The responsible side of me (what little their is) says to just get the car back to stock as cheap and quick as possible.
I totally get it. If it's your daily driver it changes how you have to look at things. I need my car too, it's why I'm not as adventurous as a lot of you are. 😔

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
imo I would do the 3.0 swap and save up to get the tuning done later if your plan was to keep the FFS

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
imo I would do the 3.0 swap and save up to get the tuning done later if your plan was to keep the FFS
I think the problem is that until he tunes the PCM it may not even run at all. Or run really rough. But there are folks here who can provide a stock tune for a 3.0 with HP Tuners if that's an option.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Speed density is the big issue, on top of the turbos, but there not really to bad if you have a 3.0 file to work with.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
192 Posts
So, I could load a stock 3.0tune and it would 100% work?

View attachment 28196
One afternoons progress.
So, I could load a stock 3.0tune and it would 100% work?

View attachment 28196
One afternoons progress.
I understand by putting a 3.0 engine in you are upgrading your performance potential. I think you will end up with a more reliable car if you replace the 2.7 with a 2.7 as it was designed for. But you seem to be push the envelope type of guy and have a lot of knowledge and ability to do whatever you want with your car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand by putting a 3.0 engine in you are upgrading your performance potential. I think you will end up with a more reliable car if you replace the 2.7 with a 2.7 as it was designed for. But you seem to be push the envelope type of guy and have a lot of knowledge and ability to do whatever you want with your car.
I’m with you… I’m 99% sure I’ll go with a low mile 2.7 just to maintain drivability and hopefully reliability. With the $$$ I now have in this car I’m gonna have to drive it a looong time to make it worth it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I’m with you… I’m 99% sure I’ll go with a low mile 2.7 just to maintain drivability and hopefully reliability. With the $$$ I now have in this car I’m gonna have to drive it a looong time to make it worth it.
I don't see any reason a stock 3.0 tune wouldn't work if you dropped a 3.0 in. The problem is your examples of people doing that are really limited, so you'd be blazing the trail, which probably isn't what you want if you are looking for a daily driver you can reliably get running fast. I'd actually be less concerned about a stock tune working (I am almost certain it would) than about any other unexpected issues (connectors, hoses, random parts) you'd need to buy along the way to get it to go in, prolonging the time you're down. But on the other hand, you'd have more power out of the gate so maybe wouldn't push it as hard. Although I'm willing to bet the you'll be pretty careful with the car now anyway compared to the first time around, just based on your need for a daily driver (and I understand because I have these same needs for mine).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Going to a 3.0 wont have any effect on reliability long as your tuning is good and your not pushing it to hard. Far as the 2.7 letting loose goes, your the first I,ve heard to have a failure with it in any platform. The motor will drop in with very minimal changes to do so, your gonna add a oil cooler and that's really it, the rest is the same on the outside, it,s the inside that different. Longer stroke and bigger bore is all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I’m sorry you’re going through all this Hootushead. It’s really too bad your budget is tight, because regardless of the engine choice, having your car so disassembled and the engine out would be an ideal time to have the turbos upgraded/rebuilt and install aftermarket charge pipes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's too bad the used car market is simply nutty these days. Back in the day I would have said its time to get a cheap beater and build a beastly car.

Thanks for sharing the picture, its cool seeing the car dismantled. Now I can see why the front downpipe is such a pain to remove!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Any updates is the motor out ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts