Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So to preface, I purchased my car in Indiana, which doesn't require a front plate. I live in Missouri, which DOES require a front plate. For the past year, I've had zero issues with not running a front plate - not even a second glance from local cops as I pass by them.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. I was on my way into work, about 3 blocks from my house, when I come across a local township officer coming the opposite direction at an intersection. We both met at the intersection at the same time, and both proceeded at the same time. I look in my rear view after passing him, and he's flipping around. At this point, I'm not thinking anything about my front plate as it's completely off my mind after a year of no issues... I had been doing about 3 or 4 MPH over the posted limit, and it's a small town, so I thought maybe it was the speed. He pulls me over, comes up and asks if the car belongs to me, and if the plate on the car belongs to the vehicle. I'm thinking "why the **** wouldn't the plate belong to the vehicle it's on?"... I reply yes to both questions, and he goes back to run my info. When he returns, he says they've been having issues lately with people only running a rear plate, and using the plate destined for the front of the vehicle to put on another vehicle that's not actually registered (which of course is completely illegal). He said everything checked out, and he's only giving a warning to people with everything that checks out - cool for me. I proceed to work, and start taking a look at some of the options for front-mount license plates, without using the factory intercooler-blocking piece of shenanigans. I find the "Big Mike's Performance Parts' STO N SHO" kit on eBay thanks to a link here, but didn't end up ordering it.

Fast forward about a week and a half later, my Fiance and I are on the way back to Missouri from Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas with friends... On the way back, we've passed quite a few police vehicles (an unusually-high number for the area and time of month) without a second thought, cruising right at or just above the posted limit, and a bit slower than most of the traffic on the road. I pass a Missouri State Trooper in a Charger going the opposite way, look back in my rear view, and see him pulling off the side of the 2-lane highway to fiip a b****... Mother******. There was another car behind me that he throws his lights on for, so I think maybe I'm good. Nope - the officer threw his lights on to get that car out of the way to get up to me. He pulls me over (my Fiance and I both in the car with luggage in the back seat from the trip), comes up and says that the state of Missouri requires a front plate, asking why I didn't have one. I explained to the trooper that I had purchased the car in Indiana, which didn't have a front plate, and didn't have a place to mount my front plate. He says it would be a good idea to pick up a bracket from the dealership, otherwise the ticket for no front plate runs around $90. He checks my license, and asks for insurance, which I have through my insurance app on my phone, and wouldn't you know it, I have no cell service where he pulled me over. He suggests I take a screenshot of my info in case I get pulled over in an area without service again, and goes to run my license. About 5 minutes later he comes back up to the car and tells me to get a plate holder or I'll probably get pulled over again. I told him about the "sport" model being a semi-special vehicle that will probably require a bracket to be ordered, and asked if putting the plate in my windshield would suffice until it came in. He said it would NOT suffice, but that it would be a good idea to order it quickly just in case I did get pulled over again. He too let me off with a warning, but said that if he sees me again without a front plate it would be a ticket... He followed that up with "but you're not from around here, so I don't expect to see ya again" with a wink.

All-in-all, it could have easily been two tickets in that short of a period of time, and I'm thankful to both of the officers that they didn't write me a ticket. Seems a bit strange to me that after almost EXACTLY a year of owning the car (purchased August 8, 2016) and never having a front plate, all of the sudden I'm getting pulled over twice in less than half a month. I guess it's the "flavor of the month" for Missouri police... Anyway, after getting back home from my trip today, I went ahead and ordered Big Mike's front-plate kit on ebay so I don't have to drill any holes in my bumper. Hopefully I don't get pulled over again before it comes in!

For those interested, here's the eBay link...

2017 Ford Fusion Sport - Removable Front License Plate Bracket

I'll post some pictures after I get it installed!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well hopefully I don't jinx myself, but I haven't gotten bothered about my front plate not being there yet, and I have seen quite a few cops. Hopefully it continues that way.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you have collision avoidance there is a radar unit behind the plastic shield in the lower grill. The solution is to mount on the passenger side.
All of the Fusions i have seen in CO have the front plate mounted dead center, under the grill. That is the dealer install location and I assume what Ford specifies. But the comment on radar behind that somewhere makes me wonder. Anyone else hear about this being an issue on Sports with collision avoidance?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The radar sensor is offset to the drivers side and not obstructed by the factory plate holder.

I hate that the plate has to be mounted on my vehicle in this province, but the tickets come fast and furious if you don't mount it and drive a nice vehicle. It seems the crap boxes with missing bumpers and broken windshields are exempt from law enforcement of equipment compliance.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Registered
899 Posts
I will try and get a pick of the holder with the plate on it this afternoon. I have also moved it over to the driver's side because it was scraping leaving the kids daycare center and it blocks less of the inter cooler. (I don't have the radar ACC or the braking)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of the Fusions i have seen in CO have the front plate mounted dead center, under the grill. That is the dealer install location and I assume what Ford specifies. But the comment on radar behind that somewhere makes me wonder. Anyone else hear about this being an issue on Sports with collision avoidance?
It's only with the quick-release front plate holder. I'll probably put mine driver's side as I DON'T have the adaptive cruise / collision avoidance.

I will try and get a pick of the holder with the plate on it this afternoon. I have also moved it over to the driver's side because it was scraping leaving the kids daycare center and it blocks less of the inter cooler. (I don't have the radar ACC or the braking)
Not sure if there's supposed to be a pic there, but I just see a gray dot with a line through it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
End of month?

Generally speaking, I find in NY certain things that aren't enforced "normally" in the middle of the month, are more enforced at the end of month to fill quotas.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is why I'm glad that I live in michigan and don't have to deal with that ****. Lucky break for you though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the big mikes bracket on my car. See my post here: http://www.fusionsportforums.com/fo.../6145-license-plate-bracket-2.html#post106753

Downside - it blocks the IC a bit.. in warmer weather it will not be friendly but if you are not really getting on it you will be fine.

If mounted on the drivers side you will get idiot lights every time you drive if you have the parking sensors. I have collision and adaptive cruse so passenger was the only way to go for me.

Reactions: JaredC01

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine will be on the driver's side to block as little of the IC as possible. No adaptive cruise, and as far as parking sensors goes, they're the same on both sides, why would it be worse on the drivers side? Curious to know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It will just always read as an obstruction in front of the car.

But that could have been because of the Adaptive cruise and collision detection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I try not to speak badly about the law enforcement officers anywhere, the have chosen a terrible field for employment and most often are enforcing based on direction and hopefully only enforcing the laws (as moronic and capricious as they may be) that exist in their respective jurisdiction. Enforcement discretion is another double-edged sword..... I love that the individual police officer may be able to assess the overall circumstances and decide enforcement is not appropriate; but I hate that very same discretion in other circumstances (self-serving, yes).... I find the various nit-picky laws ridiculous and I find the variation of those laws through the states of the "United States" to be beyond frustrating. Two examples first-hand:

1. I lived in CT in the 80's.... sometime mid to late 80's the state went from two plate to one plate. A few years later they went back to two plates..... I had to transfer the "grandfathered" from one to another trying to keep the single plate on my car.

2. Currently live in NC. A couple of years ago the state passed a law (paraphrase) that no part of the license plate could be obscured..... Good bye any plate frame. If you are on this forum, I'd guess that your plate has some finishing touch. Tongue in cheek- "Charlotte Police Report 20% Drop in Violent Crime since New Plate Regulation".......

I know this is a bit of a rant, but at some point there has to be some sense to all this BS. I don't have the answer but be active in trying to promote change.
Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have my front license plate mounted drilled through the front bumper. This is the way it was at the dealership. I'd have done it that way regardless because in Illinois any chance they get to make money off of someone they will. I got a ticket on my old ride for not having a front plate because it fell off on the road somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
End of month?

Generally speaking, I find in NY certain things that aren't enforced "normally" in the middle of the month, are more enforced at the end of month to fill quotas.
Quotas are illegal.

Do you think they have pulled you over because of all of the Fusions that had marijuanas in them?
Possible, but unlikely.

I try not to speak badly about the law enforcement officers anywhere, the[y] have chosen a terrible field for employment...
Mark
I hear one of the moderators is a cop, and he approves this message.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update... I got the bracket in, it's just been rainy in the midwest so I haven't taken any pics of it yet. It does NOT affect the parking sensors, just the adaptive cruise (which I don't have). I have mine on the driver's side to lower the blocking of the intercooler section. No issues, and it's literally 2 minutes to install, including attaching the license plate to the frame. I'll see about some pics today!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts