Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one has done an oil change on their PTU yet, so I took some pictures when I did mine. My car is almost a year old and at 14K miles. I plan to change the oil every year even though I won't keep the car as long as it's power train warranty. The next owner can thank me.
I suggest breaking loose the fill plug first as it is in pretty tight. I had to use my 18" breaker bar to get it. If you can't get it loose, you don't want to find out AFTER you drain the oil. The car needs to be high enough to get under it and level. The fill plug is accessed through the passenger side wheel well, so that wheel needs to come off. The plug takes a T50 Torx.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new oil looks much nicer. I put 16ozs. in which is slightly more than listed capacity(15.8) but none overflowed. I used vinyl tubing snaked down to the fill plug from above.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the dealer swap mine out to Amsoil Sever Gear 75w140 just past the 700 mile mark as they were in there fixing a leaking seal. I too will plan a more routine swap, every 30k or so as I consider it cheap insurance on a somewhat weak design.

·
Registered
868 Posts
So, I'm new to Fordlandia with this car but why are we changing what I thought Ford considered a "lifetime" fluid? I'll have this car for 5 years and probably about 135k miles. I have the Ford prepaid maintenance package through 100k miles. Should I ask them to do this at some point? TIA!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice details and clear pictures.

The next time to change it how about another picture of the drain plug and the oil.
I'm curious as what type of sludge Ford put in there - since Ford does not manufacture oil product.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I first encountered this PTU design on my 2009 Ford Flex and it has a few weaknesses, namely lack of cooling and a gear design that puts a fair bit of stress on the mating surfaces, not to mention plastic bushings. I think in many instances the system would survive light to moderate driving for the warranty period without issue, but if you tow like I did in my Flex or put a fair bit of power through the system like the Fusion Sport, the system required a bit of routine maintenance.

I know that Ford now specs a synthetic and heavier weight oil then what was on my Flex's original factory fill. They replaced mine due to a seal leak a year into ownership in 2010 with the updated lubricant. Because I towed at times, I elected to replace the oil around every 30k miles and found that it was still in decent shape but definitely showed some signs of heat stress. I figure that my Sport will do well to have similar maintenance performed as the part is still packaged tightly within the drive-train and lacks sufficient cooling, in my opinion. Mine was leaking right from purchase and has now had the seal replaced and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 put in it. I just feel better about doing this out of a preponderance of caution. There are a fair number of stories of what the factory oil looks like after 60k+ miles, and it isn't great.

I plan on keeping this car for 8 - 10 years and given I drive 15K+ a year, need it to last with minimal issues. My Flex's drivetrain was going strong when I traded her in at 8 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Hope you don't mind but this guy does a great job explaining the PTU, possible issue and we need to service them every 30K or sooner.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The next time to change it how about another picture of the drain plug and the oil.

I was thinking that exact thing. I'm also curious what it'll look like next time. I think this oil is of better quality and there should be less sludge since the gears are broken in now. We'll see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The PTU on my 15 Explorer Sport had a cooler. You had to pull the cat, then PTU temperature sensor to fill it. So I take it, ours doesn't have the cooled PTU?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The PTU on my 15 Explorer Sport had a cooler. You had to pull the cat, then PTU temperature sensor to fill it. So I take it, ours doesn't have the cooled PTU?
Yes there are coolant lines going to it. If you look in the picture showing the drain plug they are those two hoses that have the braided covering.

·
Registered
333 Posts
And "PTU" stands for? (never mind, got it, "Power Transfer Unit", whatever that is...)

I have the first oil change scheduled for next month (they scheduled it before I drove the car off the lot, lol), and was wondering if this should be done at the same time? I'm thinking if they're going to change the engine oil, might as well change any other drivetrain related fluid, like diffs, while they're at it...

1 - 20 of 176 Posts