Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be from too much torque...haha Thought I would share so everyone can watch for this...First indication I noticed a small oil leak under the center of the car so lifted it up and saw ptu fluid leaking at the pass side ptu seal. Pulled the pass side axle out and pulled the seal out and then saw the damaged bushing. So replaced the bushing and seal with updated part number surprisingly the replacement bushing was nylon like the original. I was hoping it would be make of brass but unfortunately no. Hopefully it won't fail again and will be keeping an eye on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That's a premature failure for sure. I know Ford has several TSBs on this is issue and I'm sure one will be out the AWD sport. Curious as to why they can't get a permanent fix.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Must be from too much torque...haha Thought I would share so everyone can watch for this...First indication I noticed a small oil leak under the center of the car so lifted it up and saw ptu fluid leaking at the pass side ptu seal. Pulled the pass side axle out and pulled the seal out and then saw the damaged bushing. So replaced the bushing and seal with updated part number surprisingly the replacement bushing was nylon like the original. I was hoping it would be make of brass but unfortunately no. Hopefully it won't fail again and will be keeping an eye on it.
Wow. That really looks terrible for the age I am amazed. But will keep a eye out. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Power Transfer Unit"

Basically the thing that controls the AWD, that the half-shaft connects into.
Thanks, I thought that was what it was but wasn't sure.
I will keep an eye out for this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just quick question. What were the symptoms - noise, vibration, etc. ?? I sometimes here what sounds like a paper shredder just in front of the GSM knob but only when I'm turning right going over speed bump at work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just quick question. What were the symptoms - noise, vibration, etc. ?? I sometimes here what sounds like a paper shredder just in front of the GSM knob but only when I'm turning right going over speed bump at work.
Symptom was a leak on the pass side PTU seal. No other noises or issues just the leak.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took mine in this morning at 3,640 miles for a slow leak of some black fluid centrally located on the garage floor under the car. The invoice says "Replaced passenger side halfshaft seal and bushing as per ssm." but the service advisor told me they didn't have to replace the bushing when I asked on the phone before picking it up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dropped it off at the dealer just before 8:00am this morning and they were supposed to call me back with a diagnosis. I told them about the PTU seal and that I was almost positive that was the problem. I called them at 1:30pm because I had not heard anything. The service advisor said they were waiting on the seal and it wouldn't be finished until tomorrow. I told them I did not have alternate transportation arranged because they were supposed to call me with the diagnosis. They were all out of rentals and I was unable to get a rental through a local Enterprise location so I stressed the urgency of the situation. The parts driver magically showed up with the seal and my car was finished shortly after 4:00pm.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dropped mine of this morning with a confirmed minor oil pan leak and a suspected PTU seal leak. Got called this afternoon that the PTU is leaking as I suspected, but the parts are a few days away, so Monday afternoon would be the earliest I would have the car back.

Driving a stripper 2009 Focus as a loaner really makes one appreciate the better amenities of the Fusion Sport. Poor thing has no power, heat nor traction in this current climate. Going down to -10°F with a 30MPH wind makes for bitter driving.

I asked them to verify the bushing and replace it as needed, but honestly who knows if they will follow that query. I am going to drop off some Amsoil Sever Gear 75W-140 I have and see if they will fill the PTU back up with it, it meets or exceeds Fords requirements for the PTU fill. I was interested seeing that the volume of our PTU fill is quite a bit less than that from my Ford Flex or the Taurus SHO. Kinda worried about the service life of a supposed lifetime fill.

Figure I will change it out every 40K miles or so as cheap insurance. I did change the Flex's fluid out on a similar schedule and it was decent looking at 84K miles versus the black crap I found from the initial factory fill.

·
Registered
320 Posts
To bad the whole PTU needed to be replaced. They did the bushing and seal on mine. After 800 miles no leaks, so I am hoping it is fine now. I did have them fill it up with Amsoil Sever Gear 75W-140. The service manual is wrong with the fluid quantities, states 350ml when it actually takes close to 900ml to fill from dry. The severe gear held up for 90K miles in my Flex and still looked reasonable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once you are past the warranty it's over $2,000 to replace. The PTU, power takeoff unit sends power to the rear end, so it's driven all the time. It appears that they haven't upgraded it since my 2010 Fusion Sport. I had to replace mine just after the time portion of the warranty expired. I guess I'll have to have them change the oil in the unit on a regular basis. That's a shame that they haven't done anything about that problem because they've known about it for quite awhile. I may have to get rid of mine earlier than I would like if this proves to be a common problem.

Ken

·
Registered
320 Posts
If it is anything like the leak on my Flex and now this Fusion, I never had any oil markings on the floor or driveway. It likes to fall on an exhaust part and burns off once warm. If you crawl underneath you can see wetness along the margins between the metal parts. The gear oil in the PTU is fairly viscous until warm.
No the burning smell was faint, unlike the smell from my oil pan leak which was terribly obvious once warmed up.

I plan on changing the oil more often in the Fusion due to the increased demands with the extra power we have over my Flex. I know the factory says life time fill, and they have wisely upgraded the factory fill to a 75W140 synthetic, however I truly feel it will still be toasted out before 50k miles if one is spirited in their driving.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I noticed some small dime to nickel sized spots on the garage floor. I called Waldorf Ford in MD and they are hooking me up with an enterprise since they don't have a loaner program. Heading there in a few hours for the drop off. I'll give a review once they find out what is causing it. Hopefully it's only the bushing and not entire PTU.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts