Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I took Pappy Dads Sleeper Taxi cartoon and whipped up a quick prototype…it’s 17F degrees here so I couldn’t keep the face together very well. I need to get some transfer film.

@Pappy Dad's sleeper taxi - is that image copyrighted?
Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
@Wojtas that solid larger piece of the lower grille on the Driver’s side is the Radar for the Cruise Control. It’s been a pain in the neck to all of us, but likely you won’t be able to expand the grill to the entire width of that portion of the bumper. That sensor watches the car in front and also activated your pre-collision system.

Just about any of the intercooler threads on here you’ll find plenty of griping about its location.

I’m just happy they hid it. The Honda accord’s is square in the middle of the intercooler/grille and looks ridiculous, like the designers forgot about it or something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Great job and I want one ! The sheep can be our mascot !
I agree! I had the same in my mind.

This small window is a perfect place for decal. I even thought about place it as an rear emblem, but it might look quite funny

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I like it but bit will be very hard to see on tinted windows.
Let me work on it a bit and I’ll make one that’s just a thin white outline so that it’s black inside. That will be much harder to hand-cut.

Reactions: Gregg1LE

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
Let me work on it a bit and I’ll make one that’s just a thin white outline so that it’s black inside. That will be much harder to hand-cut.
Thank you for your work on this.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Wow...good story & nice work!...well done!
THX! - it is still in the development process.
Yesterday I took it for Stage I. They will start working on it on Tuesday. Cannot wait to see the progress not only on the paper but on the roads either :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
@Wojtas that solid larger piece of the lower grille on the Driver’s side is the Radar for the Cruise Control. It’s been a pain in the neck to all of us, but likely you won’t be able to expand the grill to the entire width of that portion of the bumper. That sensor watches the car in front and also activated your pre-collision system.

Just about any of the intercooler threads on here you’ll find plenty of griping about its location.

I’m just happy they hid it. The Honda accord’s is square in the middle of the intercooler/grille and looks ridiculous, like the designers forgot about it or something.
Dustin, thank you for clarification. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it should not be a problem if I replace the stock to custom one. Is there an option that radar will be not working properly? What is the difference to have this stock plastic than other plastic? Sorry maybe i did not get something ;) If I can only manage this centre space it will look awkward.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Grille

What I would like to do, is to remove the stock lower center grill
Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Car

and replace with this custom ABS plastic after proper adjustments:
Grille Automotive tire Mesh Carbon Automotive lighting

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Each of us likes something different :)

IMHO center location of radar always looks awesome
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

BTW. is there anything under this plastic in lower grill on the passenger site in our cars?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I made a quick unprofessional version of sticker 😁
Light Black Font Art Circle

In meantime, I will try to work on it as a vector shape to have it in best sharp quality.

@Gregg1LE - this one should be much more visible on tinted window

·
Registered
927 Posts
I intentionally ordered my car without the radar cruise control. The attached pics show how the snorkels and shielding are arranged behind the nose piece. As you can see, it’s asymmetrical to accommodate the radar unit on the drivers side. This reduces the amount of intercooler surface exposed to direct airflow. The lower grille area catches and holds a lot of debris (leaves, stones, etc.) My thought is that Ford does not want debris and road salt getting into that radar area or stones damaging it, and effectively blocked it off with the shrouds, snorkel, and cover. It’s not difficult to remove the lower snorkel portion and open up the lower grille. There are many on this forum who’ve got the adaptive cruise with larger intercoolers who will know better, but if your road and driving conditions are anything like the Great Lakes region of the U.S.A., then you’ll probably want to enclose or protect that radar unit when you open up the grille. I ended up putting in an aluminum mesh behind the plastic to protect my intercooler from more damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
What a great job! :love: The symmetrical shape of lower center grill looks much, much better!

I ended up putting in an aluminum mesh behind the plastic to protect my intercooler from more damage.
good point - I think, I will do the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Very nice I like that lower grill

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
@Wojtas, the solid plastic on the lower grill just protects the radar. You could put the new grill in, but you would then see the radar behind the grill and the radar would be subject to being hit by road debris. There is a thread or threads on here where some moved their radar. But, if you move it to another location it will require re-calibration.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@Wojtas, the solid plastic on the lower grill just protects the radar. You could put the new grill in, but you would then see the radar behind the grill and the radar would be subject to being hit by road debris.
Thank you Guys for all information regarding the lower grill. It is not a big cost for doing it. I'll do some fittings and if it will looks nice I will share with you the final effect.

In that case, the protection of the radar is much more important than the appearance of the grill.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts