Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just seeking input from people who purchased this car from a dealer, and/or other "not so common" cars in their lifetime...

I'm talking in a general aspect, and I understand it varies from dealer to dealer, but... How much is a dealer less likely to haggle pricing with you on a custom built order as opposed to a car sitting on the lot?

For instance (with saving money in mind vs features I'd like), I would like the Fusion Sport with JUST the 401A package and cooled seats, but that's going to be almost impossible to come by unless custom ordering. After searching inventory around my area within a 50 mile radius, most come with Navigation (waste of $$$ for me), Driver Assist (I'm 50/50, don't need half the things it comes with), inflatable seatbelts, sunroof etc.

My logic is I might end up paying just as much for a 401A custom ordered, as I would pay for a 401A + cooled seats + sunroof on the lot.

Or am I totally/partially incorrect? I've never purchased a new car before, so just trying to get an idea of what I'm walking into.

Like I said, I understand pricing and packages ranges from dealer to dealer, however I'd like to know if I'm definitely not going to get a 401A + cooled seat packaged car for the price I'm seeing on edmunds/truecar and such, since they don't really exist unless custom ordered.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I got mine, Ruby red, 401A and cooled seats, and the car was at 33K. But I did some haggling on the price. The reality is, the quicker the car is off their lot, the better off they are. So a car that a dealer pays 30K for, can sell for less if it is sold the first week it is there. If that same car has sat their for three months, the money tied up into that car is now the 30K plus "interest" so they have to make a little more money on the car to truly make money. So being that you ordered a car, they can move it within a few days and make money quicker (and in turn its more money in their profit column) vs if it sits for a while.

So the answer really is, find a good dealer, make some deals with them, and go from there. And its better if you have two dealers fighting.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, 2 dealers fighting is good. But even better if it is from a different brand completely in my opinion. That way they can't compare apples to apples, yet they don't want you to go buy brand "X".

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ordered mine through Costco program. The dealer ordered exactly what I wanted with no up charges even though they hadn't hit the showroom floors yet. Not as many rebates available at the time but with the Costco pricing and rebates got $3600 worth of options for just under MSRP.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on the dealer. I got mine, Ruby red, 401A and cooled seats, and the car was at 33K. But I did some haggling on the price. The reality is, the quicker the car is off their lot, the better off they are. So a car that a dealer pays 30K for, can sell for less if it is sold the first week it is there. If that same car has sat their for three months, the money tied up into that car is now the 30K plus "interest" so they have to make a little more money on the car to truly make money. So being that you ordered a car, they can move it within a few days and make money quicker (and in turn its more money in their profit column) vs if it sits for a while.

So the answer really is, find a good dealer, make some deals with them, and go from there. And its better if you have two dealers fighting.
Great write up. Thanks for the info! I would have originally thought the opposite. Car sits on lot for too long, they'd want to drop price to get rid of it. Didn't know it was the other way around!

Yes, 2 dealers fighting is good. But even better if it is from a different brand completely in my opinion. That way they can't compare apples to apples, yet they don't want you to go buy brand "X".
Good point as well. Though, kind of hard to compare a Fusion Sport to a car from another brand :p Not many other AWD sedans out there with this power for under 35k (cant think of any actually)

Ordered mine through Costco program. The dealer ordered exactly what I wanted with no up charges even though they hadn't hit the showroom floors yet. Not as many rebates available at the time but with the Costco pricing and rebates got $3600 worth of options for just under MSRP.
Costco program huh? I have to look into that as I am a Costco member. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
405 Posts
Talk to your dealer, I was in the same boat as you, except I didnt want any extras. I just wanted a base model fusion sport because I like those gauges better, well the vast majority of fusion sports have all kinds of extras on it, the dealer ended up searching other dealers and found one for me. Just because you cant find it on auto trader doesnt mean the car doesnt exist, it just means its not listed and a lot of dealership inventory isnt listed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for the info! I would have originally thought the opposite. Car sits on lot for too long, they'd want to drop price to get rid of it. Didn't know it was the other way around!
It can be the other way around after the vehicle has been on the lot for a LONG time. Like once the new model years start coming out, then it becomes a situation of why would someone pay full price for an older model even though its still new compared to the new model year. So that is when they start making deals. It will also help them to open a spot on the lot for a new vehicle. So there is a point where the longer it sits the more money they need to recoup their costs, but then another point that eventually hits that does not allow them to keep asking the higher amount for the vehicle.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I just wanted 401a and cooled seats and everything nearby was loaded to $38-40K. I also had to have lightning blue, so that made it just that much harder.

The one blue car within 150 miles on Ford's website was loaded up to $40k and my dealer couldn't get close to the $33K my car (I ordered) ended up costing.

So, from personal experience, I would say order and get EXACTLY what you want.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm not dealer loyal, so I go where the best deal can be given (order or lot). I have found that dealers tend to have more urgency in moving vehicles on the lot.

I had 3 dealers working for me to get me the car I wanted... They were all sourcing it from another local dealer. Little did they all know, I found that out and went straight to the source dealer. I got my employee pricing, plus rebates, and a little extra kicker for dealing directly with them. The sales manager also gave me some vouchers for 5 oil changes.

Unfortunately there isn't much wiggle room when you are throwing out an employee number. I did my best to haggle up front prior to the number. If you aren't dealer loyal, find exactly what you want, or have your dealer get exactly what you want. My last dealer got a car from the other side of the state from a different dealer. It was basically like special order without the wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts