Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of an audiophile, and I would love to crank up some of my favorite tunes after the test drive to get an idea how the Sony system performs. Have any of you guys done that? I'd probably want to adjust all the audio settings to tweak it to my liking, is that out of the ordinary but acceptable? Also, have any of you matted the accelerator on your test drive?

BTW - This is far my first test drive, just curious to hear what you all have done and what you think.

Reactions: Cobra427

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Even though the dealership sucked that I visited, they allowed me to test drive it by myself. I did several WOT runs in sport and manual mode, but I never cranked the tunes up since I wanted to hear the motor.
Good luck and don't get hooked lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though the dealership sucked that I visited, they allowed me to test drive it by myself. I did several WOT runs in sport and manual mode, but I never cranked the tunes up since I wanted to hear the motor.
Good luck and don't get hooked lol.
I live in NJ, and before that, Brooklyn NY. I can tell you I have NEVER been allowed to test drive a vehicle by myself, at least not a new car. I don't want to listen the stereo until after the test drive, because like you, I want to listen the motor and/or fake NASCAR audio enhancement. :D

Reactions: Rice

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike E.. I live in South Jersey and went to Kindle Ford in Cape May Court House and they let my wife and I test drive the Sport that they had by ourselves. They said take all the time that you need. I guess they figured that two old people weren't going abuse the vehicle!! (LOL)

Reactions: RYSFZN

·
Registered
481 Posts
I live in NJ, and before that, Brooklyn NY. I can tell you I have NEVER been allowed to test drive a vehicle by myself, at least not a new car. I don't want to listen the stereo until after the test drive, because like you, I want to listen the motor and/or fake NASCAR audio enhancement. :D
Same here only time someone let me take the car out when i was looking to buy a used 2000 Mustang GT. The salesmen said sure no problem take it home show who you have to show and come back, when he made the photocopy of my license he didn't see i was only around 20 at the time lol. He called me in a panic to bring the car back.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
624 Posts
One thing to note on the stereo, mine came with it in stereo mode. Now I haven't messed to much with stereo mode, but to me it sounded much better in surround sound. Very easy to make adjustments, there is surprisingly a physical button labeled sound that takes you right to the sound adjustment screen.

Especially if the car you test drive isn't the one your going to buy(sorry potential buyer), WOT as many times as you can. If the salesman comes with you he/she can close their eyes if they need to. What are they going to do? I once scared the heck out of this 20-22 y/o salesman while test driving a Focus ST. He didn't even know how to drive a stick, so if he didn't want to walk back to the dealership he had to let me drive. It is still much better if they let you go alone though.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I've been on a few solo test drives, but even when I'm not solo, I've never been told how to drive. Most of the salesman actually appreciate the fact that they get to have a little fun. I took Omaha's first 5.0 mustang on it's first test drive and had the sales guy giggling. I also usually get the stereo bumping a bit when we get back to the dealer lot. Again, never been told not to.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Being that I am a single guy, and usually test driving more expensive sportier cars, I almost never get to go alone.

But even when they are with me, the only comment I have ever gotten was "we are not responsible for speeding tickets." I scared a salesman when I took out a Challenger SRT8. Had it up to about 120 mph. I have driven an Evo pretty hard with the salesman next to me, STI as well. 2008 Corvette which I fishtailed on the freeway at 70 mph

The only sportier car that I have gotten to drive by myself was a used 2005 Mustang GT.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that I am a single guy, and usually test driving more expensive sportier cars, I almost never get to go alone.

But even when they are with me, the only comment I have ever gotten was "we are not responsible for speeding tickets." I scared a salesman when I took out a Challenger SRT8. Had it up to about 120 mph. I have driven an Evo pretty hard with the salesman next to me, STI as well. 2008 Corvette which I fishtailed on the freeway at 70 mph

The only sportier car that I have gotten to drive by myself was a used 2005 Mustang GT.
Birdie, you made me laugh bud. What, single guys can't be trusted? Are they more likely to wreck on a test drive?;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure where you are in NJ, but if you feel like driving up to Hackensack, I'll let you drive a FFS like you stole it. My hearing is compromised from 35 years of drumming, so no amount of loud volume from the Sony radio will bother me, either. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure where you are in NJ, but if you feel like driving up to Hackensack, I'll let you drive a FFS like you stole it. My hearing is compromised from 35 years of drumming, so no amount of loud volume from the Sony radio will bother me, either. :)
Ha! That's awesome! I'm in Manalapan NJ. That's a very generous offer. I would feel bad driving someone else's car that way. What kind of music? Rock, jazz, blue? None of the above?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Birdie, you made me laugh bud. What, single guys can't be trusted? Are they more likely to wreck on a test drive?;)
Well I should have also added young to that part. Being that I am only 29 now, and tested several of these cars at young to mid 20's I think shares a lot in that.

For me to even test drive the Evo, the dealership made me go through a credit check before hand because they got a lot of younger people who just wanted to drive the crap out of the car and then not even be able to actually buy it. And I believe there have been plenty of instances of young guys totaling cars on test drives due to driving them like young guys tend to drive cars. Thankfully, I have the ability to pass credit checks and can show proof of income to afford any of the vehicles I even try to test drive, so I always get to drive them, I just never get to drive them alone.

But yes, single guys are rarely trusted :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cranking the music up shouldn't be a problem. When I bought my 2014 titanium, the salesman suggested a few tweaks to the settings that he liked in his Fusion.

Test drives have been a mixed bag. First time I dealt with this salesman, he copied my driver's license and went along for a ride in the Hybrid where he suggested a route that provided a decent cross section of roads. Then he told me he had some paperwork to do and handed me the keys to an ecoboost car and said to take my time.

This time he handed the keys, threw a tag on the car and said have fun and be sure to get on it a little because it sounds good and then went inside to meet with someone else. ;)

At 23/24, took a used Carger R/T for a test drive without a salesman present, just a copy of my license. But took a Stratus for a drive in NJ where the salesman insisted on going along and directed me on a route that never got me out of 3rd gear shifting around 2500 rpm...and badly lowballed me on my trade...needless to say I didn't buy.

Reactions: Mike E

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ha! That's awesome! I'm in Manalapan NJ. That's a very generous offer. I would feel bad driving someone else's car that way. What kind of music? Rock, jazz, blue? None of the above?
Well, while I wouldn't mind you driving mine (trust me, you couldn't drive mine any harder than I do!), what I meant to say was my dealership has quite a few Sports in stock. That's not a sales pitch; I just enjoy...spirited...test drives. Most people, ironically enough for north Jersey, drive like grandmas, even though I keep telling them to punch it.

To answer your question...mostly prog rock (I'm not getting rich doing it, so I might as well do what I want!) for the last ten years. Although before that I did have a long stint in a Led Zeppelin tribute band that was quite fun.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Never used to go alone but last time I test drove the sport also drove a 2016 5.0 which really was nice just me and my 16 yo son edging me on to smoke the tires at every stop sign. Can't disappoint the son. Lol. Also realized that I can't drive a stick on a daily basis. Kills me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never used to go alone but last time I test drove the sport also drove a 2016 5.0 which really was nice just me and my 16 yo son edging me on to smoke the tires at every stop sign. Can't disappoint the son. Lol. Also realized that I can't drive a stick on a daily basis. Kills me.
I'm not really tired of driving a stick, I'm tired of no one else in my family knowing how to drive a stick. I started teaching my wife, and she was good, but lost interest. My sons don't care, which surprises me, but that's where I'm at. If/when I get the FS, at least if we go to a restaurant and I want to drink, someone else can drive because it's an automatic

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I test drove two, identically Fusion Sports at different dealers and had salesmen ride along both times. I took some fast highway on-ramps and did a mix of driving with both. The previous two cars I purchased were given to me for a "24 hour test drive". The salesmen copied my license and insurance information and told me to bring the car back the next day.

Reactions: Mike E

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if it's me, maybe I look untrustworthy, but I've never had an opportunity to test drive a vehicle by myself, w/o a salesperson present. Honestly, that would be ideal, because even if they didn't say anything, I'd feel funny taking a corner hard. I can mat the gas, but taking a corner with tires squealing, not sure if I could do that. I'm 53, so I don't look like a young punk, and old punk maybe, but not a young one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would never buy a car from a dealership that forces their salespeople on me during a test drive. I want to focus on my potential purchase, not make small talk with someone on a test drive. Just MHO

But I always treat the car restfully, since I'm not the owner. I ordered my FFS, so the one I tested I did WOT a few times, you help but want to do that in these cars!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts