Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I can tell you that the pre-collision warning system is a breath of fresh air. I feel that it should be a standard safety item on all new cars. It has saved me a handful of times already.

So, this system comes with ped detection... has anyone had an experience where this was engaged? I'm a little nervous to ask my wife to stand out in the road and let me drive my car at her..."Honey, I swear... it will stop"

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's probably good to have just in case. Can definitely see advantages in poor visibility or night driving, especially when some tard tries to jaywalk or there is a deer standing in the road if the radar can detect beyond visual range. Although your driving should obviously adapt depending on conditions.

Honestly though it's just another feature to make people even more complacent and pay less attention, because they're relying on things other than being alert and actually skilled enough to drive. Can't remember the last time I was even remotely close to having a collision, and almost never even need to apply brakes with much force.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Pre-collision/Pedestrian detection warned me of a deer on the road before I saw it. This was during the day so I can only imagine the advantage this would give you during low light conditions. We have a lot of deer here, usually see at least one each time i am driving.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Car and Driver did a test with a couple of the pedestrian detection systems-for a straight standing person I think they all worked well. They got confused a bit with variations, though. Also, I think one of them includes a heads up display with passive infrared so you can see the little blob of deer waiting to jump out in front of you!

There's an interesting argument that, like antilock brakes when they were first implemented, folks may be more distracted than helped by the technology. It hasn't made a difference in traffic death/accident statistics yet even where it's been more widely implemented than here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I view it as having one more layer of safety net, and it may keep me out of a horrible situation, especially making right hand turns in downtown environs. i wouldn't depend on it though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've activated the pre-collision warning a couple of times, and the autonomous braking once. On that occasion, i was turning left and there was a bus screening me from the street I was turning into. As I rounded the corner, there was a car stopped alongside the bus in the lane I was turning into (for no apparent reason). My car braked to a stop (hard enough to activate the ABS -- there was a little gravel on the street) and put a message on the left display screen. It remained stopped until I pressed the accelerator. The feature is part of ACC, but is always active.

I'm not sure if pedestrian detection works at night. I think it relies mostly on the camera.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm with you here. These safety systems are nice to have as a backup but NOT to be totally relied upon on a daily basis. There is no substitute for driving defensively and paying attention to the road..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts