Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I post this in the wrong section, I just joined and have no idea how to do this.
2017 Fusion Sport AWD 2.7L, 152,000km (About 90,000miles)
About 1 month ago I started getting these little blip messages upon startup saying "Lane assist not available" but it would go away almost immediately and lane assist would work so I thought it was a quirk.
Just last week I started the car and it read out a host of messages "Hill assist not available, Service Advance Trac, Pre-Collision assist not available, lane assist not available, Power assist steering not available"
I hooked up my OBD scanner but it didn't pull up any codes. I went through the fuses and they're all good so I pulled the entire fuse box out and cleaned all the terminals beneath the box, and the negative ground, cleaned battery terminals but the codes still come up.
I've looked it up on the web and quite a few people with other trim levels of the Fusion seem to have this problem but no one is responding when I ask them what it turned out to be.
Has anyone else experienced this, and what did it turn out to be?
I'm going to check the voltage on the alternator tonight but aside from that I'm kinda stumped
Thanks in advance guys/gals

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry if I post this in the wrong section, I just joined and have no idea how to do this.
2017 Fusion Sport AWD 2.7L, 152,000km (About 90,000miles)
About 1 month ago I started getting these little blip messages upon startup saying "Lane assist not available" but it would go away almost immediately and lane assist would work so I thought it was a quirk.
Just last week I started the car and it read out a host of messages "Hill assist not available, Service Advance Trac, Pre-Collision assist not available, lane assist not available, Power assist steering not available"
I hooked up my OBD scanner but it didn't pull up any codes. I went through the fuses and they're all good so I pulled the entire fuse box out and cleaned all the terminals beneath the box, and the negative ground, cleaned battery terminals but the codes still come up.
I've looked it up on the web and quite a few people with other trim levels of the Fusion seem to have this problem but no one is responding when I ask them what it turned out to be.
Has anyone else experienced this, and what did it turn out to be?
I'm going to check the voltage on the alternator tonight but aside from that I'm kinda stumped
Thanks in advance guys/gals
Hi T F. Is the original factory battery still in your car? If yes, it is ~4- 5 years old, so start by replacing it.

Modern cars are very computer/electronic/electrically dependent. 3-4 years is about the viable lifespan of the battery in a modern car. And an old/weak/failing battery can cause a multitude of glitches like you are experiencing.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Battery, they don't put a very big battery from the factory. 580 amp. Mine went this spring four years old, got replaced with a Die Hard 650 amp. Didn't have any weird stuff happen, just a dead battery in the morning when I went to leave for work. Having a jumper box, makes such events a no biggie. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi T F. Is the original factory battery still in your car? If yes, it is ~4- 5 years old, so start by replacing it.

Modern cars are very computer/electronic/electrically dependent. 3-4 years is about the viable lifespan of the battery in a modern car. And an old/weak/failing battery can cause a multitude of glitches like you are experiencing.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Yes, I changed the battery earlier this year, new battery, not a used one

·
Registered
847 Posts
Make sure the ends are tight and clean

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Battery, they don't put a very big battery from the factory. 580 amp. Mine went this spring four years old, got replaced with a Die Hard 650 amp. Didn't have any weird stuff happen, just a dead battery in the morning when I went to leave for work. Having a jumper box, makes such events a no biggie. :)
I'll ask a buddy of mine up the street if he has a bigger battery to test out and let you know what happens

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
Did the issues start around when the battery was replaced? Ford CD4 vehicles are VERY picky with their batteries. Even since the '13 Fusions came out I've seen people complain about all sorts of odd issues and say the battery is new and/or tests fine, but they end up having a single cell on it's way out or something. But, that's just a thought.

Bad grounds will also do funky things in these cars, so as Skipe said check that the ends are properly clamped on. And double check all your grounds in the engine bay.

As for scanning for codes, do you have a scanner than supports Ford MS-CAN? Unless you do, you're going to be scanning for basic OBDII standard codes and only hit some modules, and will not see any of the communication or Ford-specific DTCs that most modules also use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was looking around for some info on this issue too and found this thread. Just had this happen to my 2017 with only about 24,000 miles. Defective battery replaced with another stock battery in Oct 2019. No prior issues with EPS or any of those related systems, but I got all the messages and errors immediately when starting the car one day after already driving multiple trips earlier the same day - Steering Assist Fault, Hill Start Assist Fault, AdvanceTrac Service Required, and the AdvanceTrac & TC Off lights came on. No power steering, no park assist, and it also felt like active suspension also deactivated because the ride felt a little stiffer, like sport mode was on. I don't have driver assist, so no BLIS, radar cruise, etc. About 5 minutes in, the AT and TCO lights went off, and power steering came back on. For the rest of that trip, the power steering stayed active, and I didn't have any problems.

Scheduled an appointment with the dealer, and when starting the car to get to the dealer, the errors immediately came on again and never went away for the entire ~2 mile drive to the dealer. Dealer initially said that there was an open circuit with a harness connecting to the battery junction box but covered under warranty. Then, after 2 weeks of waiting, they called to tell me that they misdiagnosed and that it's actually a different harness that's not covered under warranty, so $600 to repair and $1,400 to replace. Didn't give me much details but said it was part of the battery system. They didn't say that it was the battery itself though. Car is still at the dealer and coming up on 3 weeks stuck there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got the car back. The report says lost connection with the power steering control module, diagnosed as a faulty battery cable harness, part # HG9Z-14300-AM. $350 for the part; $775 for labor.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Yikes it is part of a harness that is why the cost of labor is high

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That's interesting. Especially when you can pull codes on pretty much any of these cars and they'll just about all have dozens (or more) "lost connection" DTCs. I've always just thought that was the nature of modern cars, actually. So much network data that lost connections happen all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's interesting. Especially when you can pull codes on pretty much any of these cars and they'll just about all have dozens (or more) "lost connection" DTCs. I've always just thought that was the nature of modern cars, actually. So much network data that lost connections happen all the time.
Yeah, when I got home I checked for codes in ForScan and still got a bunch, but none were enough to trigger any lights.
The report says the tech initially checked for DTCs but didn't find any that helped, so they had to check pins individually and then found the lost connection that disabled the power steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts