Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either this feature doesn't do all that much to begin with, or mine isn't working. I'm assuming the former since otherwise my suspension is working perfectly. I can't detect any mitigation at all. I've yet to hit a pothole and think "hey, that wasn't as bad as I thought." The other day I hit a nasty pothole at night that I didn't see coming; it felt like it took the front wheel off. I checked it out the next morning and the pothole is a bad one, but not all that big, and something I'd expect this system to be able to help out with. I didn't buy this car to get better pothole hitting performance, but after watching Ford's demo video of this feature I expected more.

Of course, this reminds me of those cold remedies that claim to "reduce the severity of the cold" rather than get rid of it. If you don't know how severe your cold was going to be in the first place, how can you tell if it's working? Same deal with potholes. Without driving over the same pothole with and without this feature, it's impossible to really know.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In the May/June/July Ford marketing material it said the wheel would remain at the same position as before the pothole. Now the same material says it won't drop ALL the way into the hole. I can't tell any difference either. I took it to the dealer and they said it was working as designed. cockerdogs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not sure what any of you expected, but I can't imagine how it could actually work as advertised. It would have to completely limit the suspension travel, and I'm not sure that's possible while in motion.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My dealer said the system uses only the shocks and no electronics. However, the Corvette uses electronics (sense and respond) to magnetic material suspended in the shock absorber fluid, slowing the movement of the shock piston. YMMV cockerdogs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is this standard?

I just rebuilt mine on the site and couldn't find that as an option.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Corvette system, like the Audi/Porsche and a bunch of others uses magnetism to change the fluidity of the shock fluid. The Ford system uses electronic valving-apparently a bit slower but similar in effect. On the frost heaves of southern WI, the suspension is MUCH better than the coil overs in the GTO and not much harder than the Grand Caravan RT (1" shorter springs than the other versions) with better body control. I'm OK with the system although the ads DID sound like it was going to be more impressive!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should be clear as well that I think this is a great suspension overall; the balance of smooth ride and sporty handling is the best I've ever experienced. I just think this particular feature was overhyped.

I think overhyped and under-advertized seem to be themes with this vehicle. That is not to say that I think it's a disappointment; quite the opposite. I just think Ford initially went overboard comparing the FS to the likes of the BMW 340i, then they went silent on the existence of this vehicle in their advertising. The irony is, Ford seems to like to use the Fusion Sport in their general Fusion advertising, without specifically mentioning the Sport.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I agree with what most folks have said. I too can not tell if anything is happening in regards to potholes, and potholes are extremely common here in Metro Detroit area. However it is obvious too me that the suspension is adaptive. Would love to have a suspension that eliminates potholes, but I still love the adaptive suspension for what it is. How many $30-40000 sedans have adaptive suspension w/wo pothole detection?
First off it is stiffer just buy switching to sport mode(seriously this is cool, and overlooked IMO, how many other cars can do this). Second I really notice it while cornering. Many have complained, and yes it's true, that it doesn't handle as good as a Mazda 3 etc, etc, etc. Well she's pretty fat comparatively, due to all wheel drive, overall size, and all the other comfort features that everyone loves. But the fact that I can ride in comfort with out a tight sport suspension that rattles my teeth and then hit a corner at high speed and the suspension tightens up keeping the car flat is quite frankly like having your cake and eating it too.
I really feel the car corners better than alot have given it credit for. Maybe this is due to the seats allowing too much of the passengers body to roll than actual body roll?
Love hearing that it's even better with the strut tower brace(trying to justify it for myself).

·
Registered
230 Posts
I drive a 2015 AWD Edge over the same potholes as my Sport almost every day. (SE Michigan) I find the Sport handles these better with a lot less jarring. I have also found that the speed matters a lot. The faster you go over the hole the less you feel of it. The suspension reduces the amount of time it takes for the tire to fall into the hole but does not prevent it from dropping. At 30 mph you really feel the holes, at 45 mpg they are much less noticeable. With the Edge they are noticeable at all speeds.
-Lee

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree on what's been said however I do notice that the shocks take the shock out of the bump. My Frontier and Explorer both kick your ass when going over a decent bump or pothole however with this car it takes the initial shock out of the bump. As what Kevin said, what other mid $30k car will offer this type of technology in the suspension?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I take back everything I said about how this system actually sort of works. This morning I went HAMMERING over a freshly opened pothole on my way to work and my car immediately started flashing and dinging showing 0 on the tire monitor. Completely flat, thankfully still on the rim, and thankfully right around the corner, so I could limp it into the parking lot at work.

I guess I can't really trust this system as well as I thought...

DAMMIT

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take back everything I said about how this system actually sort of works. This morning I went HAMMERING over a freshly opened pothole on my way to work and my car immediately started flashing and dinging showing 0 on the tire monitor. Completely flat, thankfully still on the rim, and thankfully right around the corner, so I could limp it into the parking lot at work.

I guess I can't really trust this system as well as I thought...

DAMMIT
That sucks; hopefully the damage is restricted to the tire alone. I feared the same when I hit the pothole I mentioned in my initial post, but all seems to be well. I agree with your assessment. Regardless of whether or not the system is helping as compared to cars without such a system, it is definitely not capable of saving you if you take a nasty pothole dead on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is something that I noticed, but I don't know if it's the system or what. You know how sometimes when you drive through a curve at high speeds and you feel that bump, bump, bump, bump of the road ridges and you feel like it might brake lose? I felt one little bump, then it went away. Car seemed glued to the road. Don't know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Totally possible... look up BOSE suspension on the 90'side Lexus that never went into production... it did just that... granted and never went into production but it proves that it is possible to lift a wheel via the suspension while in motion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts