Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Fell into a massive Oakland pothole yesterday. No way anything short of being a hovercraft was going to save me, much less pothole detection. I have no idea how I visually missed it, but I must've fallen into the edge of it.

Was very loud, and look at the damage (see attached).

I have a tire warranty that covers damage from road hazards and potholes are included, but "cosmetic rim damage" is not covered. I'm probably going to seek out a rim repair shop for an estimate (there is a specialty shop near me that has great yelp reviews from porsche owners and the like).

I'd like to get the community's opinion on the tire damage though... should I be worried about a potential blow out from sidewall damage or nah? I haven't taken the car over 50 mph since it happened, but so far alignment and suspension seem unaffected. Tire tread also seems unaffected. Haven't even cracked 1000 miles yet...

Thanks in advance all

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
OUCH!

My personal opinion is that anytime there is damage to the sidewall of a tire, even if it still holds air, I would replace as soon as possible. It could only take on small bump and it could be enough to rupture the tire.

But anyway I wish you the best in getting the wheel fixed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OUCH!

My personal opinion is that anytime there is damage to the sidewall of a tire, even if it still holds air, I would replace as soon as possible. It could only take on small bump and it could be enough to rupture the tire.

But anyway I wish you the best in getting the wheel fixed.
+1 to this. I hit a pretty nasty one not too long ago, and had a blowout. luckily for me the tire took the impact and saved the wheel. The sidewall on mine didn't even look that bad, so your's is probably already on borrowed time...

Reactions: Cobra427

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your tire is toast, not safe anymore. Wheel looks pretty bad also but if its not bent you could put a tire on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 to this. I hit a pretty nasty one not too long ago, and had a blowout. luckily for me the tire took the impact and saved the wheel. The sidewall on mine didn't even look that bad, so your's is probably already on borrowed time...
This was pretty much my gut.

Really no reason to f*ck around with it. Top priority to get the tire replaced, especially since I have the warranty that at least covers that.

Getting a quote from a rim repair guy tomorrow. Doesn't appear bent and the car did not misbehave WRT steering/alignment/suspension feel--although I'm tempted to have it inspected anyway. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to get the oil changed early (first change) and get a "the works" inspection from my dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts