Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New owner of a 2017 fusion sport and may have an issue.
Ive noticed the last few days when shifting my car out of park and into reverse
I get this loud Pop/Click. when I back out and shift to drive it doesn't make the noise.
I haven't noticed after I'm done driving and put it in park again if it makes the noise but when
testing it in the driveway from park to reverse it will pop/click and then if I put it right back into
park it will pop/click. also when shifting into gear I've notice I can really feel the car shifting into
reverse or drive. The car only has around 200 miles and I'm pretty concerned. Just wondering if
anyone else has experienced this issue.

Heres a video that I got of the noise. You can hear it right after you hear me put the knob to reverse then theres the noise.
and yes I realize I accidently had the car in accessory mode when I put it in reverse but its the same when the car is fully started.
I appricate any feedback.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
There's no video posted. Do you use the parking brake when you park?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the forum doesn't let you post links until you hit a certain post limit which i haven't hit.
No the parking brake is off and foot it firmly on the brake when shifting into gears. i wish i could get this video up.
i think it would make it much easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I always use the parking brake before letting off the brake when parking, as well as shift to reverse/drive before disengaging the parking brake so I don't let the car rest on the transmission. Never heard it clunk. I can, however, hear it shifting gear quietly. But that's it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always use the parking brake before letting off the brake when parking, as well as shift to reverse/drive before disengaging the parking brake so I don't let the car rest on the transmission. Never heard it clunk. I can, however, hear it shifting gear quietly. But that's it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
I'll have to give the parking brake a try. i'm pretty sure its not related but i'm no car expert. i was going to wait until the car was broken in and if the noise had not gotten better then bring it in but it's bugging me now so i may bring it sooner than later. i'll see if i can get the video up even though it's probably just my car

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I don't hear anything unusual. That's just the electronics shifting gears. From the video at least, it doesn't sound loud at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rice

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to be clear i'm not talking about the first click of the rotary knob clicking into place but the second clunk.
the video doesn't do it justice as far as how loud it sound but it does sound worse in person. ill probably just have it
checked because it just doesn't seem right to me. ill update everyone once i bring it and find out if there is anything wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine clunks as well when going from Park to Drive or drive to R. It did it before I tunes and After I tuned, Other than the clunk car shifts as it should. I also rented a 2016 Explorer Sport last year and it did the same thing, just not as loud. It also had the rotary shift nob.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine clunks as well when going from Park to Drive or drive to R. It did it before I tunes and After I tuned, Other than the clunk car shifts as it should. I also rented a 2016 Explorer Sport last year and it did the same thing, just not as loud. It also had the rotary shift nob.
mine does this as well, i wouldn't worry about it to the original poster.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Remember, the shifts knob controls electronics to just shift gears for you. That's what you're hearing. Try using your parking brake so the car isn't resting on the transmission, that will make a difference too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Remember, the shifts knob controls electronics to just shift gears for you. That's what you're hearing. Try using your parking brake so the car isn't resting on the transmission, that will make a difference too.

Yep, the noise is not coming from the cabin/rotary shift nob. It happens when the transmission engages in D or R. I assume this is the same as the OP's noise. If anything it sounds like my wife's F150 transfer case engaging.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

i just went out and gave it a try. no difference. still pops/clunks into reverse with the parking brake on.
and i can feel the car kinda go hard into the gear. just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
just to be clear i'm not talking about the first click of the rotary knob clicking into place but the second clunk.
the video doesn't do it justice as far as how loud it sound but it does sound worse in person. ill probably just have it
checked because it just doesn't seem right to me. ill update everyone once i bring it and find out if there is anything wrong.
Is your driveway leaning?? When parked on an incline, you are supposed to engage your parking brake before letting off of the brake. Also move out of park, while the parking brake is still on, or while you are firmly holding the brake.......It's ALWAYS been like that with ALL vehicles. You can get in any car with a gear shifter and notice that it is harder to shift from park when on an incline, and some cars make a loud pop when releasing that weight. I can only imagine what that does to an electronic system trying to shift with the weight of the car resting against it.....
I'm not sure if you're on an incline, but it sure sounds like it. That's why you don't get the pop once you're out of the driveway and shifting into drive....
*that's my 2 cents and a penny...*

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is your driveway leaning?? When parked on an incline, you are supposed to engage your parking brake before letting off of the brake. Also move out of park, while the parking brake is still on, or while you are firmly holding the brake.......It's ALWAYS been like that with ALL vehicles. You can get in any car with a gear shifter and notice that it is harder to shift from park when on an incline, and some cars make a loud pop when releasing that weight. I can only imagine what that does to an electronic system trying to shift with the weight of the car resting against it.....
I'm not sure if you're on an incline, but it sure sounds like it. That's why you don't get the pop once you're out of the driveway and shifting into drive....
*that's my 2 cents and a penny...*
My driveway is completely flat. It doesn't make the sound once the car has been driven. but when the car is left to sit again for a little while it will do it again. Noticed at my job (flat parking lot)
I did test the parking brake out with the same results. Parking brake on, foot firmly on brake, shift to reverse and hear the pop/clunk. I'm just concerned because
my past two cars never did that. my mother and fathers cars also don't do that. As long as its not adversely effecting the car then I can deal with the sound.

I will turn the parking brake on from now on as a precaution because I do understand where you all are coming from.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My driveway is completely flat. It doesn't make the sound once the car has been driven. but when the car is left to sit again for a little while it will do it again. Noticed at my job (flat parking lot)
I did test the parking brake out with the same results. Parking brake on, foot firmly on brake, shift to reverse and hear the pop/clunk. I'm just concerned because
my past two cars never did that. my mother and fathers cars also don't do that. As long as its not adversely effecting the car then I can deal with the sound.

I will turn the parking brake on from now on as a precaution because I do understand where you all are coming from.
Well...........
If my car was making that noise when parked on a flat surface, I would take it right back to the dealership. The longer you have it, the higher the chance of them thinking that you did something.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
The longer you have it, the higher the chance of them thinking that you did something.
It doesn't really matter what they think... It's still under warranty if something happens down the road.

Reactions: domm92
1 - 20 of 28 Posts