Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never liked the look of chrome trim on dark colored cars. Last weekend I plastidipped the chrome around the driver and passenger windows, the grill trim and the rear trim. Here are some pictures of the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in the same boat, will be doing mine as well. How many coats did you use? Did you pull parts or spray them on the car?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I never liked the look of chrome trim on dark colored cars. Last weekend I plastidipped the chrome around the driver and passenger windows, the grill trim and the rear trim. Here are some pictures of the results.
**** that looks sexy! The chrome-like trim kills it for me as well. I think the car looks more aggressive and sport like without it.

Wondering if FoMoCo would be upset if I did this on a lease..... :|

·
Registered
491 Posts
This looks incredible. Please give details on how you did it...

Every car manufacturer should offer a black out option. No matter which color I go with on my lease, I am doing this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
**** that looks sexy! The chrome-like trim kills it for me as well. I think the car looks more aggressive and sport like without it.

Plasti normally pulls off really easily and doesn't leave much residue. If anything they'd be happy that your chrome was in such good shape from being protected by the coating.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I will be doing the same. Did it with my 2010 as well.

And no, Ford doesn't care. yellingdog is correct.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

You only need to worry about that if you plan on letting them have it back.;)

Also, looks great! I think the chrome is growing on me slightly, but that may change when I get the tint on the windows. I have always liked a good blackout.

·
Registered
140 Posts
blacking out the chrome was the first thing I wanted to do, but it honestly grew on me. At least on magnetic, I think it helps break up all the dark colors a little to be honest. At the very least, I think I would go for gloss. The matte looks strange with the rest of the gloss black accents.

either that or maybe wrapping it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Overall I am very happy with outcome. Here are some notes on the process.

Budget the majority of a day to do the whole car. Most of the time will be spent masking, and allowing the paint to dry. I sprayed 4 coats total.

Shopping list:
Item|Quantity
Plasti Dip 11 oz can, Black|2
3M blue masking tape 2"x60yds.|2
Standard size news paper|2
Utility knife with a fresh blade|1
Bottle of rubbing alcohol|1
Roll of scott shop towels|1

Masking tape
* Using tape that is at least 2" wide will make the job easier and faster.
* Blue masking tape is less adhesive than traditional masking tape, so you don't have to worry about damaging your paint.
* Masking the grille trim is trivial and should not take long. I applied tape surrounding the surface I was going to paint--in this case to the grille plastic and the front bumper. I used a target gift card (flimsier than a credit card) as a squeegee to tuck the tape between the bumper and grille in spots that are tight. When masking the grille itself be sure to not allow any way for paint to pass through the grille onto the radiator...this would be bad.

* I masked the rear trim in the same way. Using long pieces of tape on straight areas and several short pieces of tape where the curvature was high.

* Masking the window trim is a bit more difficult since there are several high curvature areas, and the weather stripping is in tight contact with chrome trim in most places. I used two different methods, one on each side.

** Method One: On the drives side I applied the tape in the same way I did for the grille and rear trim, using the gift card to 'tuck' the tape between the trim and the weather stripping. This process was very tedious and took the majority of the time. It also turned out that this was a bad idea as it resulted in some ragged edges when the masking tape was removed.

** Method Two: One the passenger side I became impatient and applied the tape such that it covered the trim by at least a few millimeters. Once all of the tape was applied I went back around with a sharp utility knife and cut the line between the weather stripping and trim and peeled it off. Not only was this method more time efficient, but it also resulted in a better outcome. To get a clean line it is important to make sure the tape is in very good contact with both the weather stripping and trim. After the tape is applied run your finger over that seam, applying some pressure, to make sure the tape is conforming to the transition from trim to weather stripping. Run the utility knife lightly along that seam. The tape that was applied to the trim should easily pull off.

Masking paper
* After all of the 'fine masking' is done I did coarse masking around the regions that were to be painted.
* I used a news paper to protect the glass and paint from overspray. Each page was torn in half, along the fold and attached to the 'fine masking' with tape applied along the long edge of the paper. This was more than enough protection from over spray. If you are using 2" tape, this process should not take too long.
* Be extra careful when masking the grille. We do not want to get paint on the radiator.

Cleaning
* Once all of the tape is applied clean all of the trim thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth. I used Scott shop towels. The surface needs to be pristine for best adhesion.

Painting
* Follow the directions on the can.
* First coat should be very light. You should still see she shininess of chrome after applying the first coat.
* The surface you are painting is not flat, so when you apply each coat make sure you hit the surface from all angles to get good coverage.
* Allow 20 min to dry after each coat.
* Apply 3-4 coats.

Unmasking
* I started removing the masking as soon as the last coat was applied. If you allow too much time for the paint to dry you may end up removing paint from the trim when you pull off the tape.
* There is a special technique for removing masking tape to get sharp lines. Pull the tape at a sharp angle. Google it and several descriptions will show up that are more complete than mine.
* I had no issues removing the masking tape from the grille and the rear trim
* Removing the masking tape around the window trim requires finesse and patients. It doesn't hurt to run the utility knife around the boundary of the trim and weather stripping before removing the tape. In some cases this was necessary since the paint started pulling off with the tape creating a ragged edge.
* I got the best results on the passenger side where I used the utility knife to apply the masking, and remove the masking. The passenger side has some ragged edges that need to be touched up or redone when I get some time.
* Allow a couple hours for the paint to harden before driving

Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder how this would look on the white. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome so if I "ghosted it out" (new term that I'm copyrighting) I wonder if it would look good or like poo. Maybe I'll test a piece that's non-essential.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One other question. How does Plasti-Dip hold up to car washes? That's about the most wear and tear I would put on this car, but I've always wondered. TIA.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One other question. How does Plasti-Dip hold up to car washes? That's about the most wear and tear I would put on this car, but I've always wondered. TIA.
It holds up pretty well as long as its applied correctly. I would probably avoid going nuts with a pressure washer though lol

I did the wheels on my old car and it held up way longer than I thought it would.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is how it should have come from factory ! That looks positively glorious, good job man. Thanks for the shopping list and directions as well, that's ideal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a touchless car wash (high pressure jets) the day after I applied the plastidip and it didn't seem to have any effect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would like to do a wrap on my chrome trim. I have a buddy that will do it for me for a very good price. But i'm planning on waiting until after I get my wheels to see if the chrome or going with a gloss black will look better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about the emblems

I'm planning on blacking out the emblems on the back and since the Ford logos have a 3d feel I might black them out also. I don't know if I wanna do all the work to do what black out everything you did but maybe one day. But is there a reason why you didn't black out the emblems?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think if you have good coverage with plasti-dip its hard for anything to peel/tear it. I've done it many times on wheels and on the fronts of cars. Only thing I've noticed is the color will fade.

Reactions: ike
1 - 20 of 80 Posts