Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just over 6K miles on my sport, took it in to get its 2nd oil change today and the place i took it informed me that oil was leaking from the drain plug. They didnt have a replacement so they didnt change the oil, but said they have seen this a lot lately and are ordering better/after market drain plugs. Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this before? I am thinking of taking it into the dealer to have it covered under warranty, which i hope they do but I also think they might say it was over tightened and thats what caused the leak. I tried searching for TSBs on the issue or anything else but couldnt find much.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have them make sure its not the PTU seal leaking instead because my PTU seal leak made it appear the oil pan or drain plug was leaking but it was actually the PTU seal.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I am thinking of taking it into the dealer to have it covered under warranty, which i hope they do but I also think they might say it was over tightened and thats what caused the leak.
I'd definitely take it into the dealer if I were you, at least to check if it is the PTU seal as gzsport mentioned, especially since you're under warranty. The drain plug only turns about 120 degrees then the tabs on the side hit two stop points, so if they over tightened it, it would most likely break. It could still be a bad rubber o-ring on the plug or something, easy fix for them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i took it into the dealership today, might be without a car for a few days though. The dealership was skeptical that it was a leaking drain plug as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer, it is the PTU seals leaking.
Yes, they just did mine last week. The front right side PTU seal drips right down to the drain plug. They only changed my seal. I asked about changing the seat and or the shaft too and they said they looked ok. There are bulletins on older model years to change the whole shaft, seat and seal. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Kind of a bummer that this is still an issue. How do they not come up with a better PTU solution after years of TSB's and having to replace parts under warranty?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I've got the leaking PTU seal. I've been noticing some random drops on the garage floor, but wasn't sure what it was from because it was far too black and gritty for motor oil with 2,500 miles on it. I guess I'll schedule it to go into the dealer next week.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I definitely wouldn't say they LET issues like this happen. Something such as a fluid leak would be fixed immediately before leaving the factory. But if the cars aren't driven at all, and these issues occur after a few hundred miles (or 6,000 in this case) of use, how are they going see any leaks? This is just part of mass production, and the reason we have warranties. Yes it sucks and is inconvenient, but its just a defect, not a production or design issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just brought mine to the dealer. I have been smelling a burnt oil smell the past few days once the car is warm (620miles), with no visible spots on the ground. I suspected the PTU seal, as my 2009 Flex had a similar occurrence when new. The undercarriage has a lot of shields in the way and a quick check on the hoist had them suspecting the oil pan. It goes in Wednesday for a true checkout and repair.

I still feel it is the PTU in my gut, but will let them seek out the culprit once they remove all the obscuring undercarriage shields.

·
Registered
156 Posts
FYI,,,,The PTU seal leak will definately look like an oil pan leak as the ptu fluid runs down the oil pan. I'm afraid there will be many miss diagnosed leaks if they don't pay attention of the source. I originally thought it was my oil pan but all I had to do was look at little higher and realized it was the PTU. My PTU bushing was bad as well which is the true source of the problem taking out the seal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts