Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much has been said in this forum about the acceleration performance of the 2017 Fusion Sport. Just for the fun of it, how about some predictions as to where the first fully instrumented tests from major automotive publications will come in?

Haze me if you'd like, but I think we'll end up about halfway between the early optimistic predictions and the first somewhat disappointing 0-60 You Tube video.

I'm going with:

0-60: 4.9 sec.

1/4 mile: 13.8 sec.

They will like the car overall, but in the "Cons" section they will mention that they expected it to be faster.

What say you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
0-60: 5.3
1/4: 13.8

And they'll mention how the transmission is letting down an otherwise great car, but Ford had to balance price, performance and mpg in a family car that needs 93 octane.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

And they'll mention how the transmission is letting down an otherwise great car, but Ford had to balance price, performance and mpg in a family car that needs 93 octane.
I was going to write "third gear spoils the fun" for the cons section. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got a sub-5 second car right now and the FuSport I drove felt WAY slower. From that experience I'd say 5.8 and 14 seconds.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

I was going to write "third gear spoils the fun" for the cons section. :)
This, depending on test conditions.

I'd love to see what the Stig could do in it. Too bad he died.:crying:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you get your hands on one to test drive? To the best of my knowledge there aren't any on the road yet. Besides, the Escape with the same engine and more weight is faster than that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It depends where they test there's alot of factors. So I am going to guess by the weather conditions where I am at and the test drives I did and the feel of the seat factor. 14.5 and 0-60 5.5 hopefully I am wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're assuming we'll get a professional review...

My expectations until recently were 5.0/[email protected], but that's looking optimistic.

Here's a fun toy:
0-60 mph Calculator for Cars
Obviously it's not perfect, but it's seems pretty accurate when messing with it, as long as you accept that the Germans are sandbagging at least. It calculates a [email protected], and [email protected]
Yes, the lack of a professional review remains a mystery. The optimistic view would be that Ford is working on some fix and delaying any reviews until they have it ready. The pessimistic view is that they missed the mark and are delaying as long as they can to milk some sales before the reviews come in. As much as I'd like to remain optimistic, we all know what the odds are on this one. Still, I think a professional driver with more willingness to abuse the vehicle than many of us might crack the 5 second mark to 60.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Based on my test drive I'm guessing a pessimistic 5.6or7 0-60 and 13.9. But It doesn't really matter- based on what I've read in this forum in the past 6 wks I believe we will have a sub 5 Sec / very low 13 car with a tune and maybe CAI by the time the '18s come out (with black interior and performance package hopefully). Time will tell. Where are you Car and Driver? Autoblog??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You're assuming we'll get a professional review...

My expectations until recently were 5.0/[email protected], but that's looking optimistic.

Here's a fun toy:
0-60 mph Calculator for Cars
Obviously it's not perfect, but it's seems pretty accurate when messing with it, as long as you accept that the Germans are sandbagging at least. It calculates a [email protected], and [email protected]
Don't think they are sandbagging that much as their torque peaks seem to start not that far off idle.
Add another two gears and a trans that seems to put down much more power than
american autos (without as many nannies I mean, not necessarily peaks showing on a dyno).

4000 lbs (what I believe the Sport true base curb weight is) on that calc shows 5.6ish, which about what many are getting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't think they are sandbagging that much as their torque peaks seem to start not that far off idle.
Add another two gears and a trans that seems to put down much more power than
american autos (without as many nannies I mean, not necessarily peaks showing on a dyno).

4000 lbs (what I believe the Sport true base curb weight is) on that calc shows 5.6ish, which about what many are getting.
I don't know. Edmunds tested a 340xi auto at [email protected] That basically defies physics for a 320hp 3800lb car. I've found two dynos online, 331hp on 93 octane and 315hp on 91, and the car is rated for 320hp. The 335 was rated for 300hp and dynos averaged around 290. Dynos aren't always accurate though. Maybe BMW engineers are brilliant. Only thing for certain is the Germans do an excellent job of over delivering on performance.

One short coming on the calculator. It was created in 2004. So the creator was using performance data from cars with 4-5 speed transmissions to build the algorithm. Today's cars have 6-10 speeds.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't know. Edmunds tested a 340xi auto at [email protected] That basically defies physics for a 320hp 3800lb car. I've found two dynos online, 331hp on 93 octane and 315hp on 91, and the car is rated for 320hp. The 335 was rated for 300hp and dynos averaged around 290. Dynos aren't always accurate though. Maybe BMW engineers are brilliant. Only thing for certain is the Germans do an excellent job of over delivering on performance.

One short coming on the calculator. It was created in 2004. So the creator was using performance data from cars with 4-5 speed transmissions to build the algorithm. Today's cars have 6-10 speeds.
Not sure those calculators work that well anymore (even the one's that have an AWD selection, as engines come with really different torque curves these days). Typically, 108 @ that weight should dyno 360, so the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Bit of sandbagging, bit of just getting the power down better, and bit of torque curve that goes on forever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm going to say 5.1 and 13.9 but like what has been already stated, a good tune and a few after market bolt ons will hopefully turn this car around in the performance market. I'm not looking for a drag car, just looking to dust some ass in my boat 😆

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ill be going to the track is September. Otherwise my guess is low 14s and low high 4s. The 0-60 will be fast, but these cars seem to fall on their face after 80MPH. AWD is expensive for top speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
APR Tuning dynoed a B8.5 Audi S4 at 333 HP and 327 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. The factory advertised figures were 333 HP and 325 ft/lbs, so the APR dyno was right in there with Audi's dyno numbers. The curb weight is 3869 pounds and the best 0-60 run I have seen reported for a manual transmission was 4.4 seconds. Audi advertises 4.9 seconds for the 0-60 run. Clearly the driver who obtained the 4.4 second run, which is on video, knew better how to launch and shift the car than the factory driver.

Lots of variables in making these runs, let alone the individual vehicles. Hopefully Ford is reading these forums and seeing what is being talked about by owners of the Fusion Sport. If the car is almost there, in terms of being a true high performance sports sedan, then pushing it over the edge to get that little extra shouldn't pose much of a problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Audi and other German companies almost always advertise conservative performance numbers. That said, I do think the professional drivers that the auto publications use can generally (not always) wring more out of a car than companies tend to advertise.

There are indeed a lot of variables in these tests. This page at Edmunds.com details their testing process. Before reading this I had no idea how many adjustments they make to the data to correct for environmental conditions. Given that, a day with poor conditions *shouldn't* effect the results all that much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts