Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post in another thread tonight about a problem someone was having with the shifter motor, and it reminded me that I needed to post about a problem I had with my FFS, since I was curious if anyone else has experienced this, and I also wanted to offer my information regarding the cause.

My FFS had a peeling/flaking parking brake button. The silver chrome on it was peeling off and flaking. In looking online in other forums, I saw posts from a number of other Fusion owners who happened to have chrome trim on various internal pieces, and they had the same sorts of problems.

I looked closely at my parking brake button, and I think I found the problem. If I still had the pictures I'd post them for you all, but I recently had a problem with my phone and I don't have the pictures any more. Anyhow, the chrome trim on the parking brake button is an adhesive strip of chrome that wraps around the leading edge of the parking brake button. There is a layer of adhesive applied underneath to affix it to the plastic. In looking closely, it looks like the adhesive was not applied uniformly underneath the entire area of the chrome, but instead stopped short of the edge.

Te result of this is that the edge of the chrome trim was elevated above the plastic, and not supported by any adhesive. This caused, over time, the chrome to be repeatedly flexed as people pressed the button, then let go. Eventually, it began flaking and peeling. I provided this information to Ford, and also took the car in so they could evaluate the situation. Ford agreed that it was a covered situation, and provided a free replacement button, which they installed under warranty. Interestingly, the replacement button has chrome trim which is properly adhered to the plastic using a full layer of uniform adhesive, so I don't expect this problem to occur again in my car.

In any event, I wanted to let people know to look for this if they have peeling chrome trim on the interior, and also to let people know that, at least in my case, it was a covered warranty item.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for making them aware of the issue! Was this covered under your B2B? I ran out of that 1200m ago :cry:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for making them aware of the issue! Was this covered under your B2B? I ran out of that 1200m ago :cry:
Hi @65dustin Yes it was. They were really interested in hearing about it, as well as the information regarding the probable cause, though. I was a little surprised, to be honest, at how interested they were in collecting that data. They might have just been acting interested, I guess, but it seemed really genuine. And I did note that the new part had the full adhesive (I actually think it's an epoxy layer), instead of just short of the edges like the original.

Do you have some peeling interior chrome?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To help visualize this problem, here is a little drawing:

======---
MMMMMMMMM

Sorry I can't get the top and bottom lines closer together, but if you can imagine the "M"s being the plastic button, and the "="s being the chrome with expoxy underneath, the "-" signs are the chrome which is unsupported by epoxy and just hanging loose over the edge.

So you can see where if someone pushes the button and hits that edge that's not supported, the chrome will flex and deform, and eventually break from the stress.

In any case, I will say I was impressed with Ford's response, and it made me like Ford even more than I already did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fortunately no, however I feel like whoever used this car before me didn’t use any of the features. Just a “put it in D and go” type person, and so none of the buttons or anything have any signs of wear, except the push-to-start which has a scratch in the plastic, which was from me.

I use the e-brake frequently so I’m going to do it with care from now on and make sure my adhesive looks good. Definitely see what you mean with the “drawing” haha.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately no, however I feel like whoever used this car before me didn’t use any of the features. Just a “put it in D and go” type person, and so none of the buttons or anything have any signs of wear, except the push-to-start which has a scratch in the plastic, which was from me.

I use the e-brake frequently so I’m going to do it with care from now on and make sure my adhesive looks good. Definitely see what you mean with the “drawing” haha.
Since you're just over the mileage, I would actually check yours and see whether it's got the full epoxy layer. If you look really closely in at the button from the edge you should be able to see whether or not you have the full layer of adhesive. Then you'll know whether or not your car has this problem. I'm assuming they fixed it at some point, since the new part I have doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
June 3rd, 2017. So mine was about 3.5 months after yours. Not sure when the problem started, but if anything that would make me want to check yours even more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine looks okay; I tried to separate it with my fingernail and it seems fine. Sorry about all the sand; haven’t had a chance to clean it out from it’s recent beach adventure. Maybe just a bad supplier defect?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine looks okay; I tried to separate it with my fingernail and it seems fine. Sorry about all the sand; haven’t had a chance to clean it out from it’s recent beach adventure. Maybe just a bad supplier defect?
Yeah that might be it. But oh man you're scaring me @65dustin please get that sand out of there before it scratches your console area all up. That's stressful just looking at it.

Of course I'm sure the time you had at the beach was a blast. :cool:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha oh absolutely me too. Doing it tonight!

I’m sure you saw the second and third post here? Chrome Trim peeling/bubbling
Ha I completely forgot about that thread but yeah that's exactly the same problem. Sounds like there was a bad batch of those ebrake buttons maybe, that affected a certain number of cars. Anyway it does seem like everyone who catches it has been getting replacements covered under warranty. If they don't catch it before the warranty is up, I'm not so confident in their chances, but at least if it's still under warranty they've been covered.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reminds me of the paper thin auto climate control buttons on the 93 SHO I once owned. They would all crack over time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As long as they replace it under warranty all should be good. You guys with the peeling chrome layer must use your parking brake often for it to peel. I never use mine unless I'm just engaging it to keep everything moving , maybe once a month.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as they replace it under warranty all should be good. You guys with the peeling chrome layer must use your parking brake often for it to peel. I never use mine unless I'm just engaging it to keep everything moving , maybe once a month.
Yeah I use mine every single time I park. There was an incident at my office a few months before the virus hit, where someone's car (not sure what kind) came out of Park and rolled down a hill and hit a few of my coworkers' cars on the way down. So it happens. But I have always used the parking brakes on all of my cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts