Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was checking out car at the SEMA show and Ford had 2 Sports custom made. The one from Webasto had a PedalMax Throttle controller installed, not knowing what that was I found it on Amazon and the reviews all seem positive about it improving the throttle response on any Ford electronically controlled throttle system. Have any of you guys heard about this or have any experience with this product? I tend to treat Amazon review with a bit of skepticism due to all of the fake reviewso on there nowadays.
Here is the link to the PedalMax controller:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K36MSV0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I got me Sport tuned by Unleashed Tuning. The guy there did say that PedalMax does make a positive difference. However, even though you will pay less for PedalMax it is only affecting essentially one parameter that contributes to the performance of your car. I feel you are getting more for your money with a tune from a reputable tuner. The most important thing to me with my tune has been it's affect on the transmission, but the extra hp and torque didn't hurt either. PedalMax will not affect any of that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Seems to me that all it does is increase pedal sensitivity. A tune that tells the ECU to open the throttle all the way when it is getting 50% of the signal would accomplish the same thing. I can't justify having both and as Kevin said, a tune is more bang for your buck.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Pmax, nor have I seen blueprints or dyno sheets, so I'm not stating facts when I talk about it. That said, my understanding is that the Pmax (and other pedal related "upgrades") alters the pedal signal to the ecm so the ecm thinks you are pressing the pedal harder than you are. The max throttle signal is not changed, however, so when you stomp the pedal to the floor, it is the same with or without the Pmax. The mid throttle area is where you will notice the difference. It will jump off the line harder during normal driving, but only because it thinks you just push the pedal harder more often.

This is from stangtv.com
“PedalMAX installs in series between the accelerator pedal position sensor and the vehicle’s ECM. The accelerator pedal position sensor signal voltage is modified as it passes through the PedalMAX module. The ECM then interprets the modified signal and controls the throttle actuator based from this input. This results in increased response time and acceleration that is still proportionate to throttle input, while staying within the OEM signal range.”

Some people might like it because they like the more progressive pedal, knowing full well that it's not changing the actual performance, and some people might be fooled into thinking that it makes more power because it feels faster all the time.

To me, I'd rather just push the pedal harder myself and use the money for something else.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
868 Posts
Pedalmax is almost half the cost of a tune and you don't get more power. You get the same power faster. I see no point in the pedalmax or anything like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responses, normally I would also have immediately disregarded this upgrade except this time a professional company submitting a car for Ford to SEMA had installed it. But after reading your responses I think I will continue to wait for the tuner to perfect their tunes and either go with LMS or Unleashed.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Thank you for the responses, normally I would also have immediately disregarded this upgrade except this time a professional company submitting a car for Ford to SEMA had installed it. But after reading your responses I think I will continue to wait for the tuner to perfect their tunes and either go with LMS or Unleashed.
Good choice. I believe some Ford dealers even offer it (the pmax) as a dealer option. I suppose they do that because it makes the car seem faster without jeopardizing the warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts