Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

PARK ASSIST STORYS: The good, the bad, and the ugly

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  lskarha 
#1 ·
My car is ordered with park assist I've never used before in my life and I'm wondering if any of you guys have good or bad stories using yours. Can't find anything online in the way of videos or good stories they give me any inkling of how it will react and handle day-to-day basis does anybody use it day today do you like it do you not like it?
Can't find anything online in the way of videos or good stories they give me any inkling of how it will react and handle day-to-day basis does anybody use it day today do you like it do you not like it? Thanks guys

#2 ·
It's a little confusing at first-it's looking ahead for a parking space so don't engage it when you're already in place for a parallel park. Aside from that it works as advertised and it can park a car in a smaller spot than I can-it cuts it closer to the car ahead!

#4 ·
Mine got ordered with park assist by accident and of course I still have not used it. I can't even get used to using the rear camera when backing up. Do like the distance sensors on all sides though, they beep at me a lot when parking, and cross-traffic alert has done its job for me a couple times.

#5 ·
Haven't used it yet, as the winter roads and snow piles make me nervous trying it out and smoking a hidden curb. Once everything is dry I will see how it works, though I am competent at parallel parking basically any vehicle anyways.

#6 ·
I had the previous generation of it on my 2014 Titanium.

In general, it was pretty good at parallel parking. There were a handful of instances where I stepped in - was the system mistaken or was it willing to cut things REALLY close? I don't know for sure, although I suspect culpability varied in those cases.

Then there was one time where I wasn't watching as closely as I should have, and was moving a little faster than usual where it curbed my rear tire. Partially my fault, partially the system's fault.

I did like having the front proximity sensors - I didn't realize they were only included with the active park assist. However, they do get annoying with snow or ice!

It's amazing how far technology has come!

Reactions: Cobra427
#7 ·
I don't have it on my car (although I wouldn't mind having the forward sensors), but I've tried the park assist feature on numerous vehicles at the dealership I work at. It works very well on every vehicle - from Focus to F150, but it certainly requires a certain measure of...trust in the car. In my opinion, stuff like park assist and power fold third row seats on the expensive SUVs are superfluous items meant to wow customers.

The one negative about using the park assist in my area is it takes a little longer than just doing it the old fashioned way, and drivers here are notoriously impatient if they're made to wait whilst I park. Not that I care, but still... :)

#8 ·
It works but it’s slow. When parallel parking you have to pull further than normal past the spot before it will begin the parking procedure. Ie Searching for spot, right turn signal on, spot found, oh that idiot behind me does not realize I want that spot 15’ back and has block it. Oh well next spot, repeat. Most drivers don’t know how to parallel park or what do to when other are trying to park.
As far as perpendicular parking goes it works but has the same issues. Other just get your way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.