Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read in the manual that the transmission will not upshift for you when in Sport paddle shifting mode. However I found this to not be the case for me today. It absolutely shifted from 2nd to 3Rd without my "permission" on two attempts. I was not in dangerous rpms either. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
That, plus Traction control may be deactivated manually but ESC cannot be deactivated...

Headscratcher for sure.

By the way, What IS the redine? I thought it was limited at 6500rpm like all the other ecoboosts. This weird digital tach makes it look like it's shifting at 6000.

·
Registered
142 Posts
These paddles are the one thing I'm REALLY disappointed in. Is there any sort of ECU flash that allows for more precise control of the trans? Cuz holy **** they're brutal. I press +, wait a few seconds, the car asks if I'm sure I want to upshift, then it finally happens. Shortshifting isn't possible at all. They may as well have not put these things in if they're not going to act as they should.

·
Registered
529 Posts
These paddles are the one thing I'm REALLY disappointed in. Is there any sort of ECU flash that allows for more precise control of the trans? Cuz holy **** they're brutal. I press +, wait a few seconds, the car asks if I'm sure I want to upshift, then it finally happens. Shortshifting isn't possible at all. They may as well have not put these things in if they're not going to act as they should.
They are brutal... my last Fusion was pretty bad as well. I didn't have high hopes for these unfortunately. As for a ECU flash/tune, I am trying to get into LMS in the coming weeks to get a tune, I will ask.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They are brutal... my last Fusion was pretty bad as well. I didn't have high hopes for these unfortunately. As for a ECU flash/tune, I am trying to get into LMS in the coming weeks to get a tune, I will ask.
Please do. I'd give anything to have those things act even remotely close to how they should. It's super frustrating.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is disappointing to hear. My current car is a stick shift. If I were to cave in and get an automatic next time around, it would have to have decently working paddle shifters to at least partially make up for the loss of manual trans.

I'm hoping to finally test drive the Sport this weekend, and maybe a few other cars. I suppose I'll have to pay more for a car with well programmed paddle shifters. Supposedly the new Jag XE has it sorted out, but I'd be looking at an extra $15K at least... Ugh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My VW is manual, but over in that world TCU flashes are very real things that can be had with or without an ECU tune. Here's hoping we can get something going for the Sport.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My VW is also a manual, as well as all but one of my previous cars before it... Honestly I haven't even used the paddles so far, just tap the S button and put a foot into it. For being used to a manual, it's kinda surprising that I haven't had the urge to manually change gears in this car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is disappointing to hear. My current car is a stick shift. If I were to cave in and get an automatic next time around, it would have to have decently working paddle shifters to at least partially make up for the loss of manual trans.

I'm hoping to finally test drive the Sport this weekend, and maybe a few other cars. I suppose I'll have to pay more for a car with well programmed paddle shifters. Supposedly the new Jag XE has it sorted out, but I'd be looking at an extra $15K at least... Ugh.
I came from a stick, too, and was really excited to have the paddles. I really enjoy using them but they're so disappointing when I do use them. I can say the XE is light years ahead of the FuSpo in terms of the paddles. The XE paddles were crisp and fast. (Of course, the XE also has what is pretty much universally considered to be the best auto 'box in the world right now in the ZF...why couldn't you go there, Ford, and make this thing dynamite!?) But FWIW, the XE lease I was considering, not even a fully loaded model but the 25t Prestige level, was 75% more expensive than what I'm paying for the FuSpo.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yeah, the paddles are disappointing. Especially if you have driven anything with a DSG transmission before. My MK5 Gti just snapped through gears like a chest pounding techno beat. It's just not the same in a "normal" automatic, but hey at least there is the option to shift it at will.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Only thing I've ever used them for is to force 6th gear before it would normally shift, as MPG jumps way
up once in 6th or downshift when I didn't feel like hitting brakes. Zero performance advantage I've found.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Only thing I've ever used them for is to force 6th gear before it would normally shift, as MPG jumps way
up once in 6th or downshift when I didn't feel like hitting brakes. Zero performance advantage I've found.
Yea really the only reason I want them to be better is to force an early upshift to improve MPG. As it is, the engine revs way up there under even normal light driving. But the car just doesn't like it. Annoying.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely hoping for a transmission tune that makes regular drive more fuel economy oriented, and sport more aggressive... And smoother all around.
I couldn't agree more. I'm in the 700's now with the miles ( a lot of spirited driving) to if this thing will start to open up better. The shifts seem fine when your in regular drive mode, good power but could deff see better mpg's. (but who really needs them anyway) but sport mode I've noticed a few times I will go to let off of the car and its still sticking at high rpms before it will shift, like its ready for me to smash those last 1500 rpms so it can shift up to the next gear. More annoying than worrisome I think. But a complete flash of the transmission would deff be a plus for the fusion sport and I think you make the perfect point in such a short statement!

·
Registered
13 Posts
6f55

Looks like there are several companies out there that offer shift kits for tranny(previous years), just a question of time till they become available and if you desire to douche your warranty(if by that time you are not out of warranty)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts