Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. So this popped up today. Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Is this a thing w/tuned cars?

Thx…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts

Thx…

Hi neversummer. Yes, it certainly can be caused by a tune.

If you have a tune, which it seems you do, reinstall the factory tune, clear the codes, drive for at least several days and drive cycles to see if it occurs again. If it does not reoccur with the factory tune reinstalled, then it is pretty safe to assume the tune is causing the issue.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi neversummer. Yes, it certainly can be caused by a tune.

If you have a tune, which it seems you do, reinstall the factory tune, clear the codes, drive for at least several days and drive cycles to see if it occurs again. If it does not reoccur with the factory tune reinstalled, then it is pretty safe to assume the tune is causing the issue.

So I shouldn’t assume I’ll need a new cat every 4 years if I keep the tune?

·
Registered
921 Posts
So I shouldn’t assume I’ll need a new cat every 4 years if I keep the tune?

Hi neversummer. We don't know what the underlying cause is, so I certainly can not answer that question.

What you need to do is reinstall the factory tune, clear the codes, drive for at least several days and drive cycles to see if it occurs again.

Then, if it does not reoccur with the factory tune reinstalled, it is pretty safe to assume the tune is causing the issue. Then my personal recommendation would be to either obtain a revised tune, or not use the tune at all.

If the code returns after reinstalling the factory tune and erasing codes, then you will need to follow the troubleshooting tree to try and find the cause of the problem.

I am sure a tune expert will jump in with more advice and recommendations.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I’m with bbf2530. You’ll probably save money and learn a lot about your car in the process by following a methodical exploratory procedure.
If it’s any indication, I’ve got over 132k miles on my car, have been running some kind of tune and 3” DPs with MagnaFlow high flow cats since 17k miles with no catalytic converter issues. Although I have run highest quality 93 octane I can find in the car since day one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m with bbf2530. You’ll probably save money and learn a lot about your car in the process by following a methodical exploratory procedure.
If it’s any indication, I’ve got over 132k miles on my car, have been running some kind of tune and 3” DPs with MagnaFlow high flow cats since 17k miles with no catalytic converter issues. Although I have run highest quality 93 octane I can find in the car since day one.
Same - high octane. Factory cat. 93k kms (57k miles).

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
92 Posts

Thx…

I get this code all the time. It can be cleared using the XCT4 scan tool. I've heard this can happen if you are missing your oxygen sensors on your downpipes, or if they're starting to fail (they also could be dirty.)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get this code all the time. It can be cleared using the XCT4 scan tool. I've heard this can happen if you are missing your oxygen sensors on your downpipes, or if they're starting to fail (they also could be dirty.)
Thx. I’ve been on my factory tune for 500 kms, code hasn’t returned.

Go back to my tune & see if it comes back?

·
Registered
92 Posts

Absolutely, you're 110% fine. Just clear DTC's when it pops up. Happens every 100-500 miles for me, and is random

·
Registered
921 Posts

Hi neversummer. Yes, reinstall the tune and see if the DTC/issues return. If they do, then it is pretty safe to assume the tune is causing the issues. Then the choices are as explained earlier.

If DTC's keep popping up, then there is a problem. Clearing them does not get rid of the underlying problem, it only removes the warning. And according to what the cause is, ignoring the DTC's can possibly/eventually cause damage. Not always, but possibly, according to what the cause is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi neversummer. Yes, reinstall the tune and see if the DTC/issues return. If they do, then it is pretty safe to assume the tune is causing the issues. Then the choices are as explained earlier.

If DTC's keep popping up, then there is a problem. Clearing them does not get rid of the underlying problem, it only removes the warning. And according to what the cause is, ignoring the DTC's can possibly/eventually cause damage. Not always, but possibly, according to what the cause is.

Came back almost immediately - less than 200 kms later!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Came back almost immediately - less than 200 kms later!

Hi neversummer. Just to clarify: You installed the factory tune and had no problems for over 500km's.

Then you reinstalled the aftermarket tune and the problems began to reoccur less than 200km's later?

If yes, then it would seem the tune is the problem.

Contact the seller and see what your options are.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi neversummer. Just to clarify: You installed the factory tune and had no problems for over 500km's.

Then you reinstalled the aftermarket tune and the problems began to reoccur less than 200km's later?

If yes, then it would seem the tune is the problem.

Contact the seller and see what your options are.

Just because it happened 200 km after 700km total does not necessarily mean it is the tunes fault. Literally ignored my message, check your o2 sensors or analyze a datalog....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts