Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in the middle of the tank of fuel I got in the car from the dealer. I assume it is 87 octane. I did a little late night testing and tested out the max stall of the torque converter. Based on what I am seeing on the tach, I can't get much more then 2300 rpm stall when I foot brake. I assume it will only get better with better fuel and a tune. For those of you who already have a tune, or have been feeding your EcoBeast 93 octane fuel, what are you seeing as max foot brake stall? I know the engine is rated at 380 ft-lbs of torque, but at what RPM?

It is really hard to not want to start tinkering with the car, but I want to get some baseline passes to ensure it is representative of what the car is capable of from the dealer. I am sure I will go down a familiar path of "drop in filter" => "tune" but then what? I see people going down the exhaust route, but in my experience, with an automatic car the torque converter has the most dramatic impact. Torque converter design has come a long way in the last 20 years.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
177 Posts
We're pretty sure that, stock, the torque is limited from a start and isn't really available until somewhere in 2nd or 3rd gear (although I haven't seen positive documentation of that). 93 vs 87 octane isn't really a big change from a stop, but it seems to make a difference in, for example, highway passing, where the car will jump out almost as fast as my GTO (450/450).

·
Registered
320 Posts
The tune I got removed a lot of the torque management, though I still feel that first gear on launch might still have a bit of some restriction on it. The vehicle is positively fast reacting in highway passing operations post tune.

·
Registered
481 Posts
We're pretty sure that, stock, the torque is limited from a start and isn't really available until somewhere in 2nd or 3rd gear (although I haven't seen positive documentation of that). 93 vs 87 octane isn't really a big change from a stop, but it seems to make a difference in, for example, highway passing, where the car will jump out almost as fast as my GTO (450/450).

Ive done prob 2 tanks of 93 in my car after the 3/4 tank of what i assume was 87 from the dealer and def feels faster from a roll then before

1 - 4 of 4 Posts