Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
This past Friday morning I took the first step in preparing for performance mods on my Fusion Sport. Finding a AWD Dyno down here in Louisiana is almost as hard as spotting another Fusion Sport on the road. After researching I found the only one in Louisiana is in Kenner, LA about 70 miles south of Baton Rouge. I contacted them through Facebook to check if they could fit me in. I told him I had a 17 Ford Fusion Sport AWD ok that's fine. He said he would be at the shop working on another project but come on down and he would put the car on the dyno. The business is Corr Performance Tuning locally owned and operated by Alberto Correa who has 16 years experience. We showed up early and Alberto was already there working on a Subaru. As I walked up he said your the guy with the Fusion? Yes sir I replied as he looked around me to see what I had brought. He shuffled a cars around and I backed her into the shop. As I was getting out he said that's a sharp looking car now what is it a gain? 17 Fusion Sport. He did a walk around checked a couple things and asked what engine? 2.7 Ecoboost. 4 Cylinder? V6 Twin-Turbo. Really? I smiled at his first exposure to the Sport. In browsing his website and FB page I saw lots of Subarus, an Audi's, Miata so I figured he was curious and I knew he hadn't seen a Sport.

So at this point he backed her on the dyno and started hunting for good places to strap her down. As he was searching i made a comment about changing my oil and finding all the under body shielding. He stated it's just like on the European cars. Once she was secured we popped the hood and he started looking for connections ports etc... I have to say with all the reading and research I do I hadn't bothered to dig into the Ecoboost cylinder numbering, or vacuum routing. Basically we agreed on the inboard passenger side cylinder as the #1 cylinder. But for this baseline we didn't pull any boost numbers. I took notes and have a small list of things to know next trip. I made a point to discuss with him the coasting, neutral and the Auto Return to Park feature of the transmission. His eye's lit up really, it will put itself in park from neutral? Every pull was run "S" sport mode and he used the paddle shifters in an effort to control the transmission. This actually proved more of a challenge than expected as I was under the impression that if you entered sport mode and actuated the pedal shifters the transmission would hold that gear and not shift unless you slowed to a rpm that could cause a stall and in that case the transmission would down shift only. This is apparently NOT the case. No matter what method we employed when you reach top end RPM's the transmission will up shift. IF you guys know how to LOCK it into MANUAL please let me know I thought I had read this somewhere but can't find it. So with a better understanding of the pedal shifters he made several pulls. Initially he made the pull in 3rd but the car ate through 3rd so quick he decided to use 4th. I told him it was a 6 speed and even pulling manually in 4th at the top of the run she would up to 5th. These shifts are reflected in the videos by a loop affect in the graph. All pulls were done with traction control OFF, all accessories OFF.

After the final pull I could tell he was both impressed and surprised with the Fusion Sport in general. We talked a little about options, colors etc but in the end I think he is looking forward to my next trip back. I have to say Alberto couldn't have been nicer and if you are in the South Louisiana area and are looking for a dyno this is the place.

OK, so now that all that mono logging out of the way. Now for the details and disclaimers...

The use of a dyno it to measure performance. No two dyno's are the same and the numbers measured and shown today are for my build and testing purposes. Every dyno reads differently and as you know there are many variable that can effect results.

I am waiting for Alberto to email me the results. What I a posting is images of the car on Dyno and 3 unedited phone videos. You will notice "BrandX" on screen. This indicated the system is running numbers to simulate the DynoJet brand numbers. These numbers will be approx 10% above actual.

My car is bone stock 2017 Fusion Sport 401A package with 9700 miles on it. She is in the original configuration as I received it from the factory with the exception of the Hood Lift kit, Strut Tower Brace, Rear Anti-Sway Bar and Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 synthetic. Non of which I believe effects performance on a dyno. It is running the original Ford air box with the original Ford paper air filter (without the prefilter the newer versions now have).

Company - Corr Performance Tuning
Dyno -
AWD Dyno Dynamics 450DS dynamometer
Simulation - BrandX (DynoJet)
Location - Kenner, LA
Elevation - 0' above sea level
Weather - Clear
Temp 68-72
Fuel - 1/2 and 1/2 blend of 87/93
Gear for Pull - 4th
Max RPM for Pull - 6500 rpm
Date - 05/05/17
Time - 10:15am

So that was our (my wife went along) morning yesterday. Topped it off with a good lunch at Kenner Seafood and a relaxing ride home.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great job!!! Looking forward to the numbers!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If Im remembering right 4th gear is the 1-1 gear and that's the gear you would want to make the pull with.
Curious what the corrected numbers will be.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well like I said I am waiting for his official read out and this is the Dyno Jet Simulator so knock 10% off for actual. But yeah 306hp/350tq was best of day. So posted numbers 306/350 minus the 10% it was 275.5hp/315tq which I don't this is bad at all.

Going in I told my wife I expected 80-85% of the listed specs so 278hp/325tq so it was right in line with what I expected.

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If Im remembering right 4th gear is the 1-1 gear and that's the gear you would want to make the pull with.
Curious what the corrected numbers will be.
That is the gear we used Final run. I haven't had a lot of dyno exposure so it's all a learning curve for me. Also like I said he has never seen a Sport before.

I'm making notes for next round...

Found this info on the 6F55 Trans - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Extra Info pulled form another forum posted by SloRice:

The reason for the dyno in the 1:1 gear ratio is due to the Dynojet. Dynojet mathematically creates a horsepower number based on mass (which is the known weight of the rollers) and accleration (how fast the car is accelerating the known weight).

F=ma

From force (F), we can calculate horsepower.

Dyno the car in 2nd gear, and acceleration (a) goes way up, causing force (F) to go way up.

So by dynoing the car in the gear closest to the 1:1 gear ratio, we eliminate any acceleration advantage or disadvantage caused by the transmission, which gives us unskewed whp numbers (even though Dynojet has a fudge factor in there which makes them skewed anyways and read high).

As for other dynos out there (i.e. Mustang and Dyno Dynamics) - they use a load cell to measure roll force (the amount of force the tire is placing on the roller). Based on roll force and the radius arm going to the load cell, we get roll torque. Based on roll torque and roll speed, we can get vehicle horsepower. Vehicle horsepower and vehicle RPM gives vehicle torque. It doesn't matter what gear you run in on load cell style dynos as they are measuring force, not acceleration. Force does not change from gear to gear.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Since the Sport is AWD. its closer to 20% parasitic lose. Still 275 awhp are good numbers stock.
Whats the plan for a tune?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Extra Info pulled form another forum posted by SloRice:

The reason for the dyno in the 1:1 gear ratio is due to the Dynojet. Dynojet mathematically creates a horsepower number based on mass (which is the known weight of the rollers) and accleration (how fast the car is accelerating the known weight).

F=ma

From force (F), we can calculate horsepower.

Dyno the car in 2nd gear, and acceleration (a) goes way up, causing force (F) to go way up.

So by dynoing the car in the gear closest to the 1:1 gear ratio, we eliminate any acceleration advantage or disadvantage caused by the transmission, which gives us unskewed whp numbers (even though Dynojet has a fudge factor in there which makes them skewed anyways and read high).

As for other dynos out there (i.e. Mustang and Dyno Dynamics) - they use a load cell to measure roll force (the amount of force the tire is placing on the roller). Based on roll force and the radius arm going to the load cell, we get roll torque. Based on roll torque and roll speed, we can get vehicle horsepower. Vehicle horsepower and vehicle RPM gives vehicle torque. It doesn't matter what gear you run in on load cell style dynos as they are measuring force, not acceleration. Force does not change from gear to gear.
So do you have to program the dyno for tire size and rear gear ratio?

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the Sport is AWD. its closer to 20% parasitic lose. Still 275 awhp are good numbers stock.
I would think so. He seemed impressed with the baseline results.

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quick read.... the dyno calculates gear ratio based on engine rpm and mph at the wheels. Then guestimates gear ratio and does magic math to calculate actual torque. Cause wheel torque can be thousands of lbsft.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow I completely missed that thread good detail. JaredC01 running Sport Mode with paddle shifters did you have an issue with the trans wanting to up shift?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow I completely missed that thread good detail. JaredC01 running Sport Mode with paddle shifters did you have an issue with the trans wanting to up shift?
Yes, I did. It also wanted to downshift if too low in the RPMs. Ended up doing 2000RPM to 5800RPM as it wasn't making power after that anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks I'm taking notes for my next run.

I'm thinking about putting a throttle body on so we have a quick easy place to measure vacuum/boost.

I wish I could figure out how to disable traction control until manually reenabled.

Reactions: Vert and Donjohnk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to disable traction control until manually reenabled.
im surprised someone hasn't figured that out yet

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to contact Torrie @ Unleashed and get custom tuned. That's a couple months out...

Reactions: Kevin74
1 - 20 of 81 Posts