Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I inquired about this product and am ready to buy (just waiting on the discount code) for this little fella.

Flowmaster Delta Boost Module

Now before you all elaborate on how much of a dumba$$ I am, let me tell you my reasons behind why I decided to go this this route, (for now anyway.)
I want to hold off on a tune until more bolt on breather mods are available as well as a custom tune/dyno tune is available.
Since I foolishly opted for 5 years of "free" maintenance, I figured I will avoid "bricking" my ecu by having to upload the factory tune every time it goes to the dealer for whatever reason over the next few years. I also don't want to stress about tuning and having something big break then having the part not being covered under warranty due to the tune. It seems like the worst case with this module is something bad happens, I unplug it, plug back in the factory harness and the dealer won't have any issues since the ecu is factory and they won't be able to see anything was installed.
Is it worth $215 (with the military discount) to have a few extra ponies and not worry so much?
What haven't I considered here?
Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Its a rebranded JMS Boostmax which another user tried and had problems with.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its a rebranded JMS Boostmax which another user tried and had problems with.
What problems did they have ??
I'm not sure how they're saying that you cannot detect it at Ford...
I'm pretty sure that the computers they hook up can tell you all different types of information including how much boost your engine has been pushing and what the max boost it's been hitting is 10 other parameters which will let them know that you have over boosted or something and it might Void a warranty...:crying:

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
What problems did they have ??
I'm not sure how they're saying that you cannot detect it at Ford...
I'm pretty sure that the computers they hook up can tell you all different types of information including how much boost your engine has been pushing and what the max boost it's been hitting is 10 other parameters which will let them know that you have over boosted or something and it might Void a warranty...:crying:
I think it spit codes at them IIRC.

This is pure conjecture since I don't care to research the inner workings of something I will never buy, but I believe the idea is that it alters the boost signal so the car thinks it's getting the stock amount of boost, then when the added boost makes the fuel go lean, the ecu automatically adds fuel to compensate. That way the ecu never sees that there is added boost, but you get the gains nonetheless. That's how the Pedalmax works as well. It just alters the throttle signal so the car thinks you are pushing the pedal more than you are.

The JMS claims "up to 5 psi" which might push the 2.7L beyond what the ecu can compensate for, causing the problems they had. Maybe 4 PSI is low enough that the 2.7L can deal with it. OTOH the 2.7L might use a different signal that the JMS isn't designed for and this one is... ??

I'm not saying this one WONT work, but it sounds to me like it does the same thing. In the vid he says it's made by this mysterious secret sister company, which I suspect is JMS.

Reactions: Cobra427

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think it spit codes at them IIRC.

This is pure conjecture since I don't care to research the inner workings of something I will never buy, but I believe the idea is that it alters the boost signal so the car thinks it's getting the stock amount of boost, then when the added boost makes the fuel go lean, the ecu automatically adds fuel to compensate. That way the ecu never sees that there is added boost, but you get the gains nonetheless. That's how the Pedalmax works as well. It just alters the throttle signal so the car thinks you are pushing the pedal more than you are.

The JMS claims "up to 5 psi" which might push the 2.7L beyond what the ecu can compensate for, causing the problems they had. Maybe 4 PSI is low enough that the 2.7L can deal with it. OTOH the 2.7L might use a different signal that the JMS isn't designed for and this one is... ??

I'm not saying this one WONT work, but it sounds to me like it does the same thing. In the vid he says it's made by this mysterious secret sister company, which I suspect is JMS.
Don't think I'll take the chance of voiding the warranty for a maybe and an if... only if I could be told definitively that there was NO way to tell at all period 100%

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Don't think I'll take the chance of voiding the warranty for a maybe and an if... only if I could be told definitively that there was NO way to tell at all period 100%
The warranty isn't the main reason I wouldn't get it. I don't like the idea of tricking the computer into doing something its not supposed to be doing. I'll take my tune from a respected tuner and roll the dice with the warranty over rolling the dice with a sketchy mod that might grenade my engine, even if the dealer is more likely to fix it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The warranty isn't the main reason I wouldn't get it. I don't like the idea of tricking the computer into doing something its not supposed to be doing. I'll take my tune from a respected tuner and roll the dice with the warranty over rolling the dice with a sketchy mod that might grenade my engine, even if the dealer is more likely to fix it.
I would hate to think that that would happen... A reputable company like Flowmaster and their first venture into tuning with their name on it destroying engines... that would be bad for everyone... don't think they would bother putting a product out that would destroy their name in tuning before it even got started... I think the company is too big and smart for that... I could always be wrong

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I would hate to think that that would happen... A reputable company like Flowmaster and their first venture into tuning with their name on it destroying engines... that would be bad for everyone... don't think they would bother putting a product out that would destroy their name in tuning before it even got started... I think the company is too big and smart for that... I could always be wrong
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it has a high chance of blowing anything up. I just don't like the thought of making added boost by fooling the computer. Also, as I said before, I don't even know for a fact that is how it works. I WOULD, however, like to get some sort of guarantee from Flowmaster before I put that on my car.

I understand what you mean with Flowmaster being a big name that wouldn't sell those gimmicky ebay "super ultra power chips", but if one of those "chips" happened to work and show actual gains, I wouldn't put it past any company to sell it. As long as your computer can reliably compensate for the trickery, it *should* be fine. I'd still feel a lot more comfortable with a full tune with no tricks. If this were in fact just a pre-programmed piggyback chip like the old ones you used to get, that might be a different story, but I would imagine they would call it a tuning chip or something like that. I believe this is just something that intercepts a signal and alters it so the wastegate will spin the turbos faster.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's an expensive old school "Map Clamp"
Good catch... I didn't even know what a map clamp was until you mentioned it and I looked it up... now seems kind of gimmicky... think I'll wait for a warranty tune, or wait until warranty is up instead... but prob not this unless people can post that it's a great improvement with zero drawbacks...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Back in the day there was a guy at the track running high 12's in a stock SRT-4 and a map clamp and drag radials.
He was a tuning genius.
Gotta run a wideband though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is my view on it as well.

I knew a guy a few years back that was using a similar method on his Mazda 6 to trick the ecu into going lean to make more power(IIRC it was messing with the MAF signals or something). The night he showed me it, I told him it was a bad idea for exactly the same reason you described above. Not even an hour later he threw a rod and put a nice hole in the side of his relatively low mileage engine.

I'm sure the boostmax is probably safer than the goofy DIY stuff he did, but the same concept applies IMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar setup on my MINI. It added 3psi and never caused any issues. The biggest difference I can see is that the EcoBoost turbo puts out alot less boost stock than the MINI turbo did. I think it would be 15-18 psi at the racetrack, so bumping to 21 was a lower percentage increase. It would come down to how well the ECU can handle the extra boost without getting lean.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the recommendations and info fellas. I also noticed that since it is controllable (different modes via the bluetooth app) it could be set to run in "sport" mode (only 3psi) rather than the possibly riskier "max" mode of 4psi. Just food for thought.
On another note (I'll make a separate post once I hear back from him. Ive been talking to the lead tuner Chris at 5 Star Tuning about a custom tune... more to come.

Reactions: 1153 and Cobra427

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is the boost psi in stock form on the Sport?

Reactions: Cobra427

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Reactions: mantra1

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
remember, you're still going to suffer off the line because you wont be able to brake boost. it will help, but one of the biggest problems with the stock tune is the torque management and how hard it falls (intentionally) at high rpm. Those can only be remedied with a tune and better air flow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts