Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered my springs, I have no garage, and not worked on modern cars so I want to only pay for this to go to the mechanic once.

My questions are:

1) Should I buy the adjustable ride height links? I read some bent the mounting bracket, and others just skipped it all together. I want everything to work just like stock from the factory, but lower/stiffer. For $140 it seems worth it to me.

2) Clanging/banging over bumps and dips. Read a number of complaints about this, and the solution was to install some isolators, which just sounded like they are still bunching up, but deadening the sound some. I did not receive any in the box, but I also read they revised the product. Is this no longer an issue?

3) Since I will be paying either Ford or another mechanic to do this, how many hours should it take, so I have a good idea of what is a fair price?

4) Problems with installs, or special steps to take note of? As I said I have no garage, so I have no way to tinker with it after installing them, so I want it perfect on the first go around.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Adjustable links are not required.
Make sure the springs are clocked correctly in cradles and the spring isolators/top hats are in correctly. Also a couple people have installed coil spring silencer sleeves.
Installs ave 4-6 hours from what I have seen. This x hr rate = cost.
See #2

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjustable links are not required.
Make sure the springs are clocked correctly in cradles and the spring isolators/top hats are in correctly. Also a couple people have installed coil spring silencer sleeves.
Installs ave 4-6 hours from what I have seen. This x hr rate = cost.
See #2
Why are the adjustable ride height links not needed? I've read about people bending brackets, or modifying them?

I've also read that some springs shipped with isolators (mine did not), some had to ask Steeda to send them, as well as some had said they resigned the springs at some point.

As far as clocking the springs, does that just mean they all have to be turned the same direction, or each side is 180° different, or matched exactly how they were from the factory? Don't they rest in a cradle, so as long as orientation on top hat is correct, it will be right?

Sorry, I'm an idiot at this stuff, just want to make sure I know everything I can.

Thanks Oreo/everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
You can get them if you like but not necessary.
Steeda used to also sell relocation brackets for the sensors but no longer do as they are not needed. The sensors and brackets do not need to be adjusted or moved at all. No need to bend them.
Clocking refers to making sure each spring is installed in the correct orientation. Download the install manual and all will be revealed...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clocking refers to making sure each spring is installed in the correct orientation. Download the install manual and all will be revealed...
I have downloaded it, and googled it. I'm not understanding are we just talking about aligning it like this picture shows?

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I ordered my springs, I have no garage, and not worked on modern cars so I want to only pay for this to go to the mechanic once.

My questions are:

1) Should I buy the adjustable ride height links? I read some bent the mounting bracket, and others just skipped it all together. I want everything to work just like stock from the factory, but lower/stiffer. For $140 it seems worth it to me.

2) Clanging/banging over bumps and dips. Read a number of complaints about this, and the solution was to install some isolators, which just sounded like they are still bunching up, but deadening the sound some. I did not receive any in the box, but I also read they revised the product. Is this no longer an issue?

3) Since I will be paying either Ford or another mechanic to do this, how many hours should it take, so I have a good idea of what is a fair price?

4) Problems with installs, or special steps to take note of? As I said I have no garage, so I have no way to tinker with it after installing them, so I want it perfect on the first go around.

Thanks!
I did not bend the brackets and everything seems to work as it should. Mine does make noise only over big bumps. Not really an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have downloaded it, and googled it. I'm not understanding are we just talking about aligning it like this picture shows?

It's just turning them properly in their perches. It's kind of self explanatory

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
The strut mount, strut bearing, spring and strut have to be aligned. If they are not then things sit at funky angles. I would take a paint pen and mark the alignment of the strut mount, bearing and strut. Then the spring parent should be obvious due to the pockets/indents in the rubber.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts