Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has happened. They should be here on or before Monday I was told.
I think I'm also going to bite the bullet and order an LMS tuner because I think they will have the safest tune for the upgraded turbos and other mods.
I was going to get DPs too but I want to wait until the 2.5" come out.

I have a list of a few gaskets I'm going to need or probably need, anyone that's taken the plunge have a list of things needed in addition to the turbos?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless you plan on going to LMS personally for a dyno tune, they are not the choice for MKZ turbos. They will not edit / update your tune without going to their dyno. You will literally run the same tune as stock turbos with ECU making the adjustments it can make.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Extremely jealous... Where did you end up getting your turbos? Are you going to do the install yourself?
And my 2¢ is stick with Unleashed unless you do wanna drive to LMS and dyno. Torrie has experience tuning the 2.7 w/ MKZ turbos. Just tell him you would like to stay on the safe side with the tune. He’s not gonna take it to the ragged edge unless you ask. Plus you’ll know it’s a safer tune if you send him datalogs so he can make sure your particular setup isn’t doing something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm on my 8th revision (Torrie) with the MKZ turbos. It is definitely incremental but knowing I'm not hanging on the ragged edge is comforting.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Have we seen actual before/after dynos on these turbos? Maybe I saw them, just don't recall?

·
Registered
150 Posts
What would be really interesting imho would be:

1. Stock dyno (baseline)
2. Tuned but stock turbos
3. Dyno with the turbos on but no tune
4. Dyno with the turbos on and tuned for them

#1 is just your baseline stock config.

#2 is just to get a baseline on a tune from whoever you're using without the turbo replacement involved.

#3 would mostly just be to answer the question somebody mentioned about how far the car would be able to drive the extra flow of the turbos without a tune.

#4 well that's the number you're really after, but it'd be interesting to have the others to compare it.

Anyway I realize that's probably not practical. But it would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
What would be really interesting imho would be:

1. Stock dyno (baseline)
2. Tuned but stock turbos
3. Dyno with the turbos on but no tune
4. Dyno with the turbos on and tuned for them

#1 is just your baseline stock config.

#2 is just to get a baseline on a tune from whoever you're using without the turbo replacement involved.

#3 would mostly just be to answer the question somebody mentioned about how far the car would be able to drive the extra flow of the turbos without a tune.

#4 well that's the number you're really after, but it'd be interesting to have the others to compare it.

Anyway I realize that's probably not practical. But it would be pretty cool.
Not sure it's worth money to do dyno run with turbos and tune, and no supporting mods.
Like would you really bother with upgraded turbos on stock IC?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure it's worth money to do dyno run with turbos and tune, and no supporting mods.
Like would you really bother with upgraded turbos on stock IC?
No you wouldn't. Absolutely not. But as a research project I think it would be interesting to get those numbers just to see how much was added by which part. Like I said though, I know that's not ever going to happen. It was just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Would be nice to see a dyno and tune that at least matches a stock 2019+ MKZ.
Would also be cool to see back to back datalogs for spool.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turbs just showed up. They look pretty much brand new. They have 10k miles on em from a rear end collision MKZ, They even saved the crush gaskets and put em in heh

Gonna get the car in the air tonight and see what I'm up against

And yeah twinforcefusion did a dyno comparison before and after the mkz turbos he went up 70HP (peak HP @ 6000 RPM)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I put mine up on my lift and then called my buddy and asked how much they would do it for me at the dealer on the side. I didn't have that kind of time to drop the whole cradle out to swap it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just an aside for those wondering about the value of the MKZ turbos:
Best 1/4 mi. Before Turbos (BT) = 12.9821 sec. @ 105.31 mph
Best After Turbos (AT) = 12.4447 sec. @ 111.61 mph
The BT time was at 65F ambient, and the AT time was at 86F ambient for reference. Also AT started having serious traction issues at launch. I’m thinking it’s got a 12.20-something in it easily.
I’m on LMS v6 tune, which btw they have not changed one iota to adjust for numerous mods I have, and planning a switch to Unleashed at some point this year. Ecoboost and Roush Mustang guys at the track are mostly converts from LMS to Unleashed and they are 100% happy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Incidentally - new best time After Turbos just last night...

Attachments

Reactions: Fozzy and Engineer

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I launch anything about 2000 rpm it just breaks both axles loose. Wheel hops bad and while it carves the 60 ft down to maybe 1.8-ish, I’m scared to break something.
It was so crowded at 42 that night, we all only got two time trials. So I started with a 12.4356 @ 112.90 then ran the 12.3851 @ 112.90 so I dialed 12.36 going into first round of elimination figuring if I might have to tap the brakes at the end...
Then I do everything right and this happens...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
above 2000 rpm not “about”!! I hate the stinking auto fill!!

btw: weather permitting I’ll be at Dragway 42 for Thursday Thunder this Aug. 20 & 27
I wish I had a dollar for every Mustang GT and Hellcat/SRT8 that’s filling up the Street Tire lanes! I could afford to get that Unleashed tuner and maybe lay down an 11 second pass! That’s going to make some great big heads in the Hellcats explode! Haha!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Incidentally - new best time After Turbos just last night...
Very nice. That traction issue is crazy. I have yet to do better than 1.91 post MKZ turbos.I cant see a E fuel tune would make this any easier.
Nice numbers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The slowest stick pass on a Hellcat Ive seen is a mid 11. Most autos are consistent 9.55 to 10.40s on a drag tire. The only way Im going to beat one is in the rain. lol

Reactions: Fozzy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts