Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new slotted powerstop front and stock motorcraft rear brake rotors now $700 ish.
Looks like I can pick up a used on car brake rotor lathe for $1-2000. I understand not
worth it for most, but the volume of vehicles I have, it will pay for itself eventually.

Any of you guys that have worked at a shop and used one of these, what is the opinion on them?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Big fan of “turning” rotors. That’s what we called it at my shop. We never let customers out the door without new brake pads afterwards though, as if you turn the rotors and throw the old pads back on your friction is greatly reduced and the pad will re-groove the rotor.

I had an F150 customer who had it done twice to the same rotors with good results.

Note this was at a Goodyear from 2001-2005. Things may have changed a lot since then 🤷‍♂️

Your friends will absolutely adore you; you’ll be saving them hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

edit: reread and realized you’re asking about “on car” lathes. My bad no experience there. Ours was a hulking standalone machine and the rotors came off the car.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid $90.02 for these in April of 18. "no inflation though", UGH!!

I did find a machine that looks to be in good shape for $1000 about 3 hours from me.
It's a Hunter OCL400. I have an old hunter balancer and real old hunter alignment system.
At least that brand holds up well, for me, anyway.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I look into it, the more it seems like the on car lathe is just as much work as an off the car.
Have to remove caliper and inside dust shield anyway. At that point, rotor is already off. That
and I'm not sure how these new AWD systems will like only one wheel being externally driven.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts