Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone, I am a old school car guy and haven't really done much electronic tuning. For me HP/TQ came from a wrench, sore back and busted knuckles. With that being said I am not completely lost on tuning for power, I realize I'm not actually tuning I'm uploading a "calibration" but just trying to get the details sorted out. So there are a lot of questions. I have been reading all the threads I can find on tuning in an effort to answer many of my questions without posting. But I have a few questions that I can't find answers to. So if you will bear with me here we go.

Livernois and Unleashed both do tuning but sell different tuning devices. If I purchase a SCT4 am I limited to only programing Unleashed tunes? aka are Livernois SCT4 compatible? Or vice versa

I am running a Flip Chip on my 02 7.3L Powerstroke. I have on hand 5 different tunes that I can switch between on the fly via a simple knob (stays on OMG Mode). With our cars we can only load a single tune and if we want to change over we have to reprogram correct?

In factory mode normal the car runs, hit "S" and she gets. I understand this is all done through throttle, fuel, timing mapping etc, Once you load a tune is there NO performance difference going into sport mode? Referencing engine/trans as I realize "S" also changes steering and suspension.

I have read this thread Tune Programmers and was wondering what your opinions are of the programmers you have 5 months later.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Livernois uses MyCal, so you can't use the different devices for each. Any tuner that uses the SCT X4, you can use their tunes with it.

There is no on the fly swapping, you need to upload new tune.

Once tuned, S does still change shift points.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
206 Posts
Livernois used to tune (maybe 6 years ago?) using SCT devices for at least some platforms, but they switched to their own MyCalibrator products, a proprietary system.

Unleashed is the most common source for SCT based tunes for our platforms, although others can and do use the same devices to produce gains.

AFAIK, there aren't any options that allow us to switch tunes on the fly.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
624 Posts
As it was explained to me from Torrie (owner of Unleashed Tuning), sport mode adds modifiers to various stock settings. What settings exactly I don't know, but for example it may add a specific amount to boost maximum or rpms to shift points, what have you. He said any modifier it added to stock settings, it would still add to the tune. So sport mode isn't a separate tune.I figure it makes it a little more complicated for the tuner, but when done right still allows us to experience two different levels of performance even when tuned, which is cool.
I will also add that the nGuage is also an option that can be used instead of SCT for Unleashed tunes(several of us here have it since it was available first). NGuage is also used on other platforms as well, Mustang for example.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the one thing to remember with any device that I am aware of - Once you provide that strategy codes and serial number to the tuner and load the tune on your car - that device is married to your car i.e. locked - the only way you can unlock it is to return the car to stock before loading the next tune - However once a custom tune is loaded at least with SCT - if you want to tweak it on a dyno - i.e. adjust parameters etc that can be done without returning to stock, depending on the device multiple tunes can be stored - On my mustang I would often change tunes at the track in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I used SCT on my 2 mustangs, but I hated datalogging with it plus my laptop was cumbersome to me. I also ran 3 gauges to monitor boost, oil pressure, kr, IATs and so forth. Yesterday I just tuned my sport and installed the Ngauge and its an all in one tool. It tunes, datalogs and displays various gauges to monitor your motor.
No matter what you go with, you'll enjoy the extra power and someone on here will be able to answer your questions if you get hung up.

·
Super Moderator
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came across this video from 2013...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Morning everyone, I am a old school car guy and haven't really done much electronic tuning. For me HP/TQ came from a wrench, sore back and busted knuckles. With that being said I am not completely lost on tuning for power, I realize I'm not actually tuning I'm uploading a "calibration" but just trying to get the details sorted out. So there are a lot of questions. I have been reading all the threads I can find on tuning in an effort to answer many of my questions without posting. But I have a few questions that I can't find answers to. So if you will bear with me here we go.

Livernois and Unleashed both do tuning but sell different tuning devices. If I purchase a SCT4 am I limited to only programing Unleashed tunes? aka are Livernois SCT4 compatible? Or vice versa

I am running a Flip Chip on my 02 7.3L Powerstroke. I have on hand 5 different tunes that I can switch between on the fly via a simple knob (stays on OMG Mode). With our cars we can only load a single tune and if we want to change over we have to reprogram correct?

In factory mode normal the car runs, hit "S" and she gets. I understand this is all done through throttle, fuel, timing mapping etc, Once you load a tune is there NO performance difference going into sport mode? Referencing engine/trans as I realize "S" also changes steering and suspension.

I have read this thread Tune Programmers and was wondering what your opinions are of the programmers you have 5 months later.
Old cars remind me of the good old days.
When we lived at the ranch, the house we lived in was built by my Great-great-grandfather in 1903. They built houses in those days to take advantage of the prevailing winds and climate conditions. He did not put in air-conditioning when he built the house…

There were some window units put in once aircon servicing had been invented. They even tried one of those hydrator thingys for a while. In the summertime, at night, if the wind was blowing we could sleep through the night if we got up every now and then and wiped ourselves down with a wet towel.

In the winter, the back side of the house would scoop in all the cold north wind in some kind of weird venturi effect to give us all the air-conditioning we could stand. I did have a wood stove on the back porch that would damn near heat the whole house, but we would have to sit on the front porch once it got going good. Really, though I would have to open the doors to let heat out of the house. That didn't work in the 11 month of summer though.

As soon as we could manage it, we got central air and heat, in a different house, in a different town, and city water and electricity, and cell phones, and microwaves ovens, and nice cars/trucks, and new clothes and all the other things that modern humans enjoy thanks to modern science and the petrochemical industry. I understand John Kerry and his boss want to change all that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts