Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
When was the Trunk handle removed? 17 -> 18 or 18 -> 19?

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Agreed. Late 2018 models did not have the trunk handle for sure.

Engineer, can you elaborate on the "dual-receiver capability on the ACM"? Not up to speed on what that is.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Agreed. Late 2018 models did not have the trunk handle for sure.

Engineer, can you elaborate on the "dual-receiver capability on the ACM"? Not up to speed on what that is.
The radio module on the 2017 and 2018 cars (well, technically the 2019 too) has two receivers in it, and picks up the strongest signal and uses that, using two completely separate antennas to do that. Whichever one has the best signal at any given time is what's used. There was a nice document Ford released that explained it, I think I have a copy somewhere but I'll have to look for it.

If I remember right, when they moved to the shark fin and changed the antenna setup for 2019, they removed that capability because the new antenna setup can't support that. So if the one antenna you have can't receive the signal it just drops. Granted, it probably doesn't matter most of the time, in most situations. And I think (could be wrong) it is only about AM/FM so unless you use those (like I do) it won't (possibly) affect you anyway.

Someone more familiar with the antenna wiring setup on the 2019s can probably comment better on that though. If I remember right @DaMiFo had said something about it before, so hopefully if I'm wrong (and I might well be!) he, or someone else who knows, can say what the real deal is.

But all these cars, in all years, are way more similar than different. I keep harping on that but it's true, there are really only minor differences between even a 2017 and a 2019.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Thank you for explaining it to me.

One thing I've noticed on new or redesigned car models is there are always changes from the introductory year to the following model year, no matter what brand you talk about. Issues are discovered, maybe something didn't work out as planned, and production changes are made to improve the model during the first model year. Most changes are small but once in a while a big one rears its ugly head and those are the ones you hear in the news. Having the first year of a redesigned car may give you bragging rights, but might also bite you in the butt later on.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thank you for explaining it to me.

One thing I've noticed on new or redesigned car models is there are always changes from the introductory year to the following model year, no matter what brand you talk about. Issues are discovered, maybe something didn't work out as planned, and production changes are made to improve the model during the first model year. Most changes are small but once in a while a big one rears its ugly head and those are the ones you hear in the news. Having the first year of a redesigned car may give you bragging rights, but might also bite you in the butt later on.
Yeah that's what happened with the really early 2017s, although I think most (maybe all) of those that were affected have been fixed by now. But yeah that seems to be fairly common, and it's not even a Ford thing, I think all manufacturers probably have that problem because cars are just so complicated now.

Also, it would be easy to say fully-equipped 2017 is better than fully-equipped 2018, which is better than 2019 if all else is equal. But all else is not equal. The later the year, likely the fewer miles it'll have. It's also likely to have more warranty. And then there are individual differences among cars, personal preferences, etc. So it really does come down to an individual choice of a particular buyer, and the specific car they're looking at.

I would be proud to own any of these cars, from 2017 all the way through the 2020s (in the case of the MKZ 3.0 AWDs). They're all great cars. It's just a matter of finding the particular one that suits any given person best. We all got something really special when we picked these up. Every last one of us.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
332 Posts
Additional changes added to the end of the list:

Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:
  • Bead of chrome accent around circumference of instrument cluster removed only from the lower trim panel above steering column (part of upper steering column shroud), no part number change
Here is why the chrome under the cluster was removed for 2019.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
If I remember right, as part of that antenna change, they eliminated the dual-receiver capability on the ACM as well. I think that only affects AM and FM reception, though; I don't think the Sirius XM is impacted by that, although I could be wrong.
You're correct - the satellite antenna has always only been in the base of the roof antenna. So SXM is un-changed.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
The radio module on the 2017 and 2018 cars (well, technically the 2019 too) has two receivers in it, and picks up the strongest signal and uses that, using two completely separate antennas to do that. Whichever one has the best signal at any given time is what's used. There was a nice document Ford released that explained it, I think I have a copy somewhere but I'll have to look for it.

If I remember right, when they moved to the shark fin and changed the antenna setup for 2019, they removed that capability because the new antenna setup can't support that. So if the one antenna you have can't receive the signal it just drops. Granted, it probably doesn't matter most of the time, in most situations. And I think (could be wrong) it is only about AM/FM so unless you use those (like I do) it won't (possibly) affect you anyway.

Someone more familiar with the antenna wiring setup on the 2019s can probably comment better on that though. If I remember right @DaMiFo had said something about it before, so hopefully if I'm wrong (and I might well be!) he, or someone else who knows, can say what the real deal is.

But all these cars, in all years, are way more similar than different. I keep harping on that but it's true, there are really only minor differences between even a 2017 and a 2019.
I honestly don't know if they removed that feature from the ACM in particular, I believe it's all handled through the diversity antenna on the D-pillar. I remember seeing the PR document from Ford/Lincoln as well tho... I think I may even have it saved somewhere. But yes, its all removed with the new 2019 Fusion fin (as Engineer said) - that's why it's so much smaller than the Edge/Explorer fin.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I honestly don't know if they removed that feature from the ACM in particular, I believe it's all handled through the diversity antenna on the D-pillar. I remember seeing the PR document from Ford/Lincoln as well tho... I think I may even have it saved somewhere. But yes, its all removed with the new 2019 Fusion fin (as Engineer said) - that's why it's so much smaller than the Edge/Explorer fin.
I agree, and I may have not stated that clearly when I initially spoke--what I was trying (poorly) to convey was that I don't think the ACM is actually changed in the sense of the dual receiver; I think that's still present, it's just that the second receiver is deactivated in the 2019s I think, because it's not actually connected to a secondary antenna path.

That said though, I think the 2019s might (maybe, not sure) have receivers capable of XM radio, not just SiriusXM. I say that because my wife's 2020 Fusion has a radio like that. But hers (not a Sport) is a 2020 Fusion, so it's also possible that was a 2020 change.

I do know that my ACM has HD Radio capability though, and hers doesn't, but that's a function of mine being a 401a car, I think (and hers being an SEL).

So there's at least a possibility that, on the satellite side, the 2019s may (I say may, because I'm not sure about 19s) have the XM (as opposed to just SiriusXM) capability. If so, they would have lost antenna diversity on broadcast, but gained XM Radio, so that's a tradeoff everyone (just like with everything else) would need to evaluate for themselves.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
“What’s a radio?” said half the adult population. Haha! Actually, this is all kind of fascinating to me because I never listen to the radio and very rarely play music from my phone through the car stereo. I guess it’s because in my job I talk so much I can get a sunburn on my tongue, but I enjoy just listening to the car and the voices in my head.

Reactions: BlueDust and Vidmo

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Discovered a difference in the horns, which I have added to the end of the list, with a couple other updates (08/03/2022).

Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:

• All 2018 options are standard, only thing to choose is the paint color
  • Interior color changed from gray seats with dark gray trim and gray door inserts to all black (ebony)
  • Rear styling changed
    • Inner taillights have different chrome strip
    • Trunk lid cover panel has different shape, particularly around license plate
    • Bumper cover shape resculptured
    • 2018 gloss black horizontal insert removed
    • Matt black air diffuser added to lower part of bumper
  • Whip antenna changed to a "shark" fin
  • Sound absorbing glass removed from front doors (windshield still sound absorbing)
  • USB port moved from center console storage to front of console next to 12V power point and existing USB port
  • Intelligent Access door handles discontinued for rear doors (front doors still have them)
  • 110VAC outlet discontinued in the rear of the center console
  • Summer tire option discontinued
  • Puddle lights changed from incandescent to LED
  • 42,000 FordPass points given with vehicle purchase
  • FordPass shows actual tire pressure instead of "Monitoring" or "Low"
  • MSRP is lower (approximately $2100 with the 2018 equipped like a 2019)
  • Radio antenna moved to the rear window glass from roof antenna (per another forum member), glass is a different part number for 2019
  • Bead of chrome accent around circumference of instrument cluster removed only from the lower trim panel above steering column (part of upper steering column shroud), no part number change
  • Rubber seals and inner fender cover between hood and fenders no longer installed
  • Upgrade to Sync 3.3
  • Climate control touchscreen menu buttons rearranged (Sync 3.3 change)
  • Horn changed to one high tone mounted on the driver's side (no low tone horn)
    • 2018 models at least from 06/2018 have only one low tone mounted on the driver's side (no high tone)
  • Turbocharger recirculation/bypass valve changed (info contributed by member Vidmo)

Except for the above changes, the 2018 and 2019 Fusion Sports are the same.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
332 Posts
The 2019 also come with a different recirculation/bypass valve. Might be better? as its used on the ecoboost mustang as well.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
2019 has a rear diffuser as well. Could be wrong but don't remember the 17 and 18 having one.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Building Font

Reactions: Vidmo
61 - 75 of 75 Posts