Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Your welcome BlueDust.

Removing the intelligent access handles on the rear does seem like a cost saving measure, though from what I've read not many if any other Fords have that on the rear doors. For the 120v power, you can buy an inexpensive 12VDC to 120VAC adapter to plug into the 12VDC plug that is still there and get the same power output. I agree that the USB port in the console would be nicer as you stated but they must have had a reason to move it (probably some "research" group). If you look at the front right corner of the console storage compartment there a little passageway for a cord to pass under the lid when closed, so you can plug a cord into one of the front USB ports and run the cable into the storage compartment to hide electronic devices from view.

Not sure if the 2018 is better per se. Small changes are always made from year to year. The only functional differences are the rear access handles, 110VAC outlet, and no summer tire option (which very few people probably bought anyway). I've driven both years and they are essentially same, and I actually prefer the rear styling of the 2019. As I said in a previous post, I think the Soundscreen acoustic glass in the front doors makes very little if any difference in quietness of the cabin. I think they should have put it in all four doors instead of just the front two anyway, plus the sunroof. The Soundscreen windshield I'm sure does the most good of any of the glass for noise absorption, which it still has for 2019. And the 2019 is actually a better value as the price is almost $2100 less than the 2018 when equipped the same (fully loaded). Unfortunately for people who want the more affordable sports sedan without all the bells and whistles, for 2019 they are out of luck.
I expect the rear door handles not being touch activated to bother me... I say that as I have driven two Fusions over the past 6 years and use it. As you were saying other Ford cars don't have it in the back doors.... The Explorer I got 10 months ago for my family doesn't have it and it drives me nuts. I am just so used to just opening the doors, no questions asked. I may have to ask my local dealer about it and see if I can buy them. Be funny if the wires were still there, just not the handles. I will wait a few months to try to see if I can get used to it first. This is a very dumb problem to have. Lol. I will still buy the car. It's about a 250 mile drive each way and taking Friday off of work to pick it up. If I remember to take a picture of my current Fusion and 2019 FFS next to each other at the dealership, I will post it in the new users channel to introduce myself.

Oh and thanks again for the differences between FFS model years. I have spent hours Google it and asking dealers who couldn't tell me anything. Seriously, thank you.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Any idea if the 2019 LED puddle lights can be retrofitted? Nothing shows up indicating the 2019 got LED puddle lights... They cross reference to the same incandescent bulbs used on a lot of Fords.

Again if you can afford it, the 2020 MKZ 3.0 AWD is probably the more ultimate sleeper and is still somewhat available now.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Any idea if the 2019 LED puddle lights can be retrofitted? Nothing shows up indicating the 2019 got LED puddle lights... They cross reference to the same incandescent bulbs used on a lot of Fords.

Again if you can afford it, the 2020 MKZ 3.0 AWD is probably the more ultimate sleeper and is still somewhat available now.
MKZ is a nice car, but I actually prefer the Fusion. The engine doesn't have anything to do with my preference. It's been a few years since I was in one, but I felt cramped. The high arm rest/center made the car feel small and I kept hitting my left leg on it (I was in the passenger seat). Also, I really do not like the big gear buttons on the dash. Reminds me of the huge joke tv remotes and calculaters people used to receive as gifts when they retired (along with the cane/horn combo).
This FFS will be my 3rd Fusion. Only downside I can think of is that's it's not a manual...

·
Registered
308 Posts
MKZ is a nice car, but I actually prefer the Fusion. The engine doesn't have anything to do with my preference. It's been a few years since I was in one, but I felt cramped. The high arm rest/center made the car feel small and I kept hitting my left leg on it (I was in the passenger seat). Also, I really do not like the big gear buttons on the dash. Reminds me of the huge joke tv remotes and calculaters people used to receive as gifts when they retired (along with the cane/horn combo).
This FFS will be my 3rd Fusion. Only downside I can think of is that's it's not a manual...
And if you haven't owned a 2017 or newer Fusion getting used to the rotary dial shifter I hate it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Hahah you are right about the shifter buttons on the MKZ.

And if you haven't owned a 2017 or newer Fusion getting used to the rotary dial shifter I hate it.
They're using that style of Gearshift Module on almost all of the newer Fords.The Ford GT, the GT500, Explorer ST, etc... It was cumbersome at first but it takes up less real estate. I no longer get lanyards or objects snagged on the shifter. The Explorer ST uses the terrain management rotary dial to get into Sport mode, so that will take some getting used to versus the center button on the Fusion Sport shifter.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah. My 4000 lb pig is already 500 lbs more than I'd like. Another 2-300lbs would be too much.............

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My current Fusion is a 2017. I have had it for 3 years and still look for the stick. I still miss driving a 5 speed... But I would take a 6 speed if it was available.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It's gotten to the point if I am driving a stick (my 09 Cobalt SS Turbo) I know to use the stick and clutch. When I get in the Fusion Sport or Explorer, I don't look for the stick or clutch. My Mustang GT (07 GT) stock shifter was garbage, I went with a Hurst (ignored the advice to go MGW) and the bushing/bearing failed and would rattle. Finally went with a MGW and it was beautiful... But the stock clutch pedal feel was garbage. 09 Cobalt SS Turbo's Saab F35 manual feels OK - better than the rubbery WRX stock shifter but the cable system is meh... known to snap the rollpins holding the cables to the gearbox. But the Cobalt's stock clutch pedal feel is amazing light and easy to modulate with great feel.

4120 lb on the Fusion Sport is the same as my 00 Crown Vic (98-02 before they went to the hydroformed steel frame and gained about 200 lb), and the 4300 lb SHO wasn't a big deal to muster, felt more planted than the Fusion Sport. My 4800 lb. Explorer feels like a bigger Crown Vic with a higher center of gravity, lol. The Cobalt SS Turbo is 3000 lb and feels like a go-kart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been eyeing the Fusion Sport since 2016 Detroit Auto show but have been stuck in a lease or two... Current lease ends in 4 weeks and Sport has been discontinued. This maybe my last chance. I found a new 2019 Sport with <100 miles on it. It was built 10 months ago, and just sitting....
The question is, Should I be concerned about this car sitting or should I buy it?
I literally just bought a 2019 with 250 miles fully fully loaded for 15k under MSRP because the dealer has to make room for new models so pull the trigger, you won't regret it

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I literally just bought a 2019 with 250 miles fully fully loaded for 15k under MSRP because the dealer has to make room for new models so pull the trigger, you won't regret it
Your getting a better deal then I am. The closet Sport to me is 5 hrs away. Next one is 11 hrs away. The dealer isn't going to make any money on mine either, most likely loosing a good amount (I saw the invoice).
I am taking the day off of work tomorrow to go pick it up. 😁

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I picked up my FFS today. The drive alone was 9 hours there and back, not including the time with the dealer.

Thanks for answering my questions! I will share a picture in the new user section.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I hated it at first, now I forget to put all my other cars in park, when I park, LOL!!
Lol now you can only buy Ford models after 2017! I have had that problem once or twice when getting back into my FF after driving my Explorer. Luckily it puts it self in park when you open the door!

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Oh and thanks again for the differences between FFS model years. I have spent hours Google it and asking dealers who couldn't tell me anything. Seriously, thank you.
You're very welcome. Helps to have both model years sitting in the garage next to each other to make the comparison. Congrats on buying a Sport. You won't regret it. I was looking into the MKZ too, but liked the Fusion styling much better (looked sportier to me). And when you look at how much higher priced a V6 MKZ was than the Fusion due to all the gizmos that are added that would be nice to have but not a necessity, the Fusion was the better buy.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Did some searching on Ford.Parts.com. They do show two different lights with a change date of 09/03/2018. That was likely the start of the 2019 production when the LED lights were implemented. Can't tell you if you can directly interchange the incandescent with the LED.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You're very welcome. Helps to have both model years sitting in the garage next to each other to make the comparison. Congrats on buying a Sport. You won't regret it. I was looking into the MKZ too, but liked the Fusion styling much better (looked sportier to me). And when you look at how much higher priced a V6 MKZ was than the Fusion due to all the gizmos that are added that would be nice to have but not a necessity, the Fusion was the better buy.
[/QUOTE
Did some searching on Ford.Parts.com. They do show two different lights with a change date of 09/03/2018. That was likely the start of the 2019 production when the LED lights were implemented. Can't tell you if you can directly interchange the incandescent with the LED.
Do you have the part number for the LED? I only see 2 part numbers,none from 2013 and one from 2015.

The MKZ with 3.0 is going to be much faster when tuned just FWIW

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Found out about a couple more changes from my last post and added to the end of the list:

Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:

• All 2018 options are standard, only thing to choose is the paint color
  • Interior color changed from gray seats with dark gray trim and gray door inserts to all black (ebony)
  • Rear styling (inner taillights, bumper, trunklid attachment trim)
  • Whip antenna changed to a "shark" fin
  • Sound absorbing glass removed from front doors (windshield still sound absorbing)
  • USB port moved from center console storage to front of console next to 12V power point and existing USB port
  • Intelligent Access door handles discontinued for rear doors (front doors still have them)
  • 110VAC outlet discontinued in the rear of the center console
  • Summer tire option discontinued
  • Puddle lights changed from incandescent to LED
  • 42,000 FordPass points given with vehicle purchase
  • FordPass shows actual tire pressure instead of "Monitoring" or "Low"
  • MSRP is lower (approximately $2100 with the 2018 equipped like a 2019)
  • Radio antenna moved to the rear window glass from roof antenna (per another forum member), glass is a different part number for 2019
  • Bead of chrome accent around circumference of instrument cluster removed only from the lower trim panel above steering column (part of upper steering column shroud), no part number change

Except for the above changes, the 2018 and 2019 Fusion Sports are the same.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Additional changes added to the end of the list:

Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:

• Interior color changed from gray seats with dark gray trim and gray door inserts to all black (ebony)
  • Rear styling (inner taillights, bumper, trunk lid attachment trim)
  • Sound absorbing glass removed from front doors (windshield still sound absorbing)
  • USB port moved from center console storage to front of console next to 12V power point and existing USB port
  • Intelligent Access door handles discontinued for rear doors (front doors still have them)
  • Radio antenna moved to the rear window glass from roof antenna (per another forum member), glass is a different part number for 2019
  • Bead of chrome accent around circumference of instrument cluster removed only from the lower trim panel above steering column (part of upper steering column shroud), no part number change
  • Rubber seals and inner fender cover between hood and fenders no longer installed
  • Horn changed from a high and low tone (two horns) to a single tone
  • Upgrade to Sync 3.3
  • Climate control touchscreen menu buttons rearranged (Sync 3.3 change)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Additional changes added to the end of the list:

• Rear styling (inner taillights, bumper, trunk lid attachment trim)
  • Rubber seals and inner fender cover between hood and fenders no longer installed
  • Horn changed from a high and low tone (two horns) to a single tone
  • Upgrade to Sync 3.3
  • Climate control touchscreen menu buttons rearranged (Sync 3.3 change)

If I remember right, as part of that antenna change, they eliminated the dual-receiver capability on the ACM as well. I think that only affects AM and FM reception, though; I don't think the Sirius XM is impacted by that, although I could be wrong.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts