Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have test driven a 17 and a 19... 19 was in bad traffic :-( and my test drives were not equal.
But the 19 felt like a smoother quieter ride. I don't know if that it was just because of the road conditions and speed or because the 19 was actually better.
Is there an actual noticeable difference between the model years? My guess is if there is, it is only a software update change that occured that the 17 could get and not require different physical parts. I ask as that quite (road noise) and smooth drive was a big selling point I feel I just have to have. It is very similar to my Explorer with intelligent 4 wheel drive I picked up 10 months ago (when I was trying to turn my 17 FF Energi Lease early to get a sport).
My wife loves this 19 Explorer (much better then front wheel drive 17 she had) as the drive always feels solid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on your battery.... I forgot to add that to my list to question. I was thinking too much on old fluids, and flat spots on the tires.
Something to add to that is even if they replace the battery that doesn't mean you won't have battery problems. My battery was replaced just before delivery and within four weeks of driving the car I had the known battery drain issue which is an easy fix at the dealership. Fine ever since.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Something to add to that is even if they replace the battery that doesn't mean you won't have battery problems. My battery was replaced just before delivery and within four weeks of driving the car I had the known battery drain issue which is an easy fix at the dealership. Fine ever since.
What caused the battery drain issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The CCD/Pothole mitigation system is worthless for potholes. ...
I swear this system is working opposite on my front tires. My '15 fusion never hit potholes as hard as this car does, feels like the whole car stops for a split second. Haven't blown any tires yet, but I'm getting good at evading potholes most of the time. Not enough to make me regret the car, just an annoyance.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I swear this system is working opposite on my front tires. My '15 fusion never hit potholes as hard as this car does, feels like the whole car stops for a split second. Haven't blown any tires yet, but I'm getting good at evading potholes most of the time. Not enough to make me regret the car, just an annoyance.
In Comfort/Normal mode, it feels like the compression and rebound rates are "soft", so there's a lot of wheel movement going on (see my comment above about the bouncing effect on a certain road). When I hit Sport mode, it feels like compression is about the same, but rebound is "firmed" up so there's minimized wheel movement. This may or may not explain your experience.

I will say that in both instances of my tire blowing out, I was driving under 30 mph. When that front tire hit the pothole, it was a very loud and noticeable bang, followed by the dreaded low tire pressure chime and icon. I saw my tire pressure go from 35 to 10 to 1 in a matter of moments!

The early 2017s need the ACM to be reflashed as well as the DDM and PDM for the window issue.
I read a lot of the NHTSA comments and many many many complaints were about the window issue (rolls up and then goes back down by itself). I struggled with this for almost 2 years. It was just a software issue/glitch with the PDM and DDM.

As a consume, you can actually use Ford's IDS or FJDS to reflash modules on your car. Ford's IDS and FJDS software are free for download. But the licenses cost money as do the devices. Ford's VCMII module is the same one their techs use at the dealerships and cost over $1000 and IDS license isn't cheap either. FJDS license is $100 for 3 days or something like that, and FJDS can use either VCMII or a SAE J2534 pass-thru device, such as the $100 VCX Nano. I use my VCX Nano with FORSCan as well because it runs significantly faster than ELM327/OBDLinkMX/VCMII and anything else I've tried. When I used VCMII with FORScan it was like watching paint dry. Anyhow, FJDS has the firmware updates for the majority of the modules. What FJDS won't help with is the diagnostics tools that VCMII and IDS include.

There was an update for the PCM on 2017 Fusion Sport that made some changes to the O2 sensor heater tip settings and that's about it.

I was able to flash an update to my GSM (Gearshift module) as my 2017 was built earlier and used the old lighting protocol (gearshift module lights stay on for 60 seconds after CANBus activitiy). The March 2017 and newer 2017s had the updated GSM where the lights stayed on only for a few seconds.I had to use a 2018 VIN to trick FJDS into thinking my GSM was outdated.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Are all 2017, 18, and 19 FFS pretty much "exactly" the same car, minus a few cosmetic changes? I have spent more time playing with a 2017 as it was the first model out, but would be getting a 2019 next Friday if I get it.
The one I am looking at is not local and have a relative going to check it out over the next few days... I wouldn't be able to test drive/buy it until the 13th because of the distance. It will be a day trip, or more depending on how long it takes at the dealership and possible traffic at the time I leave... I was already told I may end up staying the night out there.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Are all 2017, 18, and 19 FFS pretty much "exactly" the same car, minus a few cosmetic changes?
Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:

All 2018 options are standard, only thing to choose is the paint color
Interior color changed from gray seats with dark gray trim and gray door inserts to all black
Rear styling (inner taillights, bumper, trunklid attachment trim)
Whip antenna changed to a "shark" fin
Sound absorbing glass removed from front doors (windshield still sound absorbing)
USB port moved from center console storage to front of console next to 12V power point and existing USB port
Intelligent Access door handles discontinued for rear doors (front doors still have them)
110VAC outlet discontinued in the rear of the center console
Summer tire option discontinued
Puddle lights changed from incandescent to LED
42,000 FordPass points given with vehicle purchase
FordPass shows actual tire pressure instead of okay or low
MSRP is lower (approximately $2100 with the 2018 equipped like a 2019)

Except for the above changes, the 2018 and 2019 Fusion Sports are the same.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not up on the changes from 2017 to 2018, but can tell you the changes from 2018 to 2019. The changes are:

All 2018 options are standard, only thing to choose is the paint color
Interior color changed from gray seats with dark gray trim and gray door inserts to all black
Rear styling (inner taillights, bumper, trunklid attachment trim)
Whip antenna changed to a "shark" fin
Sound absorbing glass removed from front doors (windshield still sound absorbing)
USB port moved from center console storage to front of console next to 12V power point and existing USB port
Intelligent Access door handles discontinued for rear doors (front doors still have them)
110VAC outlet discontinued in the rear of the center console
Summer tire option discontinued
Puddle lights changed from incandescent to LED
42,000 FordPass points given with vehicle purchase
FordPass shows actual tire pressure instead of okay or low
MSRP is lower

Except for the above changes, the 2018 and 2019 Fusion Sports are the same.
Thanks!

It sounds like the 2018 was a "better" overall car. I use the rear intelligent door handles all the time on my current and last fusion. Rear 120v power plug has also been very useful. The center USB port is great to charge phones or USB storage when you don't want the wires around for the clean look/feel.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have test driven a 17 and a 19... 19 was in bad traffic :-( and my test drives were not equal.
But the 19 felt like a smoother quieter ride. I don't know if that it was just because of the road conditions and speed or because the 19 was actually better.
Is there an actual noticeable difference between the model years? My guess is if there is, it is only a software update change that occured that the 17 could get and not require different physical parts. I ask as that quite (road noise) and smooth drive was a big selling point I feel I just have to have. It is very similar to my Explorer with intelligent 4 wheel drive I picked up 10 months ago (when I was trying to turn my 17 FF Energi Lease early to get a sport).
My wife loves this 19 Explorer (much better then front wheel drive 17 she had) as the drive always feels solid.
Actually ford was cheapening things up, even during the 3 year Sport run.
Like they got rid of trunk handle. From what I heard, they reduced thickness of glass in
later Fusions. So if anything, 17's would be quieter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Actually ford was cheapening things up, even during the 3 year Sport run.
Like they got rid of trunk handle. From what I heard, they reduced thickness of glass in
2019+ they removed the Acoustic Soundscreen glass. 17-18 both have it.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Does the 2019 FFS need a catch can? I have been having a hard time understanding if it does or not like the other DI Eco engines aka 2017/18 FFS. I thought I read Ford fixed this problem on the 19, but not able to find where I read it or understand how they may have fixed it.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am taking this with a grain of salt for the 2.7 l in the FFS, but also find it hard to believe Ford would make two of the same engines... Not economical...
This site says starting 2018, the 2.7 was Direct Injection and Port Injection. How much truth is there in this regarding the 2019 Fusion?

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Alright... I can't stop looking into this stuff. I found this article that makes me think the 2018 and 2019 may actually have the new 2.7l engine in it (with DI and PI).... Now that I don't believe everything I read on the internet (almost everything), I would like confirmation on some real world experience and confirmation if this is true or not. Also, do they still make a Chiltons? lol. I must be old. I started to Google it, and after 2 minutes only found last gen FF manuals. I am not counting sites that appear to have been made in the 90s and could be less legit.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I am going to say the Fusion Sport never had the 2nd Gen Nano engine. And as such, I am not able to find anything that legitimately says if Ford did anything to improve the valve deposits on the 2019 FFS. Just read someone saying a while back that on the 2018?, 2019, you no longer needed the catch can, and that Ford did x to improve this issue.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
2019+ they removed the Acoustic Soundscreen glass. 17-18 both have it.
The windshield still has Acoustic Soundscreen glass for 2019. Front doors glass are not for 2019. Rear doors and rear glass never were. I've driven a 2018 and 2019 and don't think the acoustic side glass makes that much of a difference. The 2019 is pretty quite inside.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
2018 does not have the trunk handle. Maybe because I've never had it, but it would seem that the handle where it is was mounted only helps to start closing the lid, and you would still need to grab the outside of the lid to close it completely. Not sure if the acoustic glass is thicker than standard, or is just made different. But I think the acoustic Soundscreen glass is what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Thanks!

It sounds like the 2018 was a "better" overall car. I use the rear intelligent door handles all the time on my current and last fusion. Rear 120v power plug has also been very useful. The center USB port is great to charge phones or USB storage when you don't want the wires around for the clean look/feel.
Your welcome BlueDust.

Removing the intelligent access handles on the rear does seem like a cost saving measure, though from what I've read not many if any other Fords have that on the rear doors. For the 120v power, you can buy an inexpensive 12VDC to 120VAC adapter to plug into the 12VDC plug that is still there and get the same power output. I agree that the USB port in the console would be nicer as you stated but they must have had a reason to move it (probably some "research" group). If you look at the front right corner of the console storage compartment there a little passageway for a cord to pass under the lid when closed, so you can plug a cord into one of the front USB ports and run the cable into the storage compartment to hide electronic devices from view.

Not sure if the 2018 is better per se. Small changes are always made from year to year. The only functional differences are the rear access handles, 110VAC outlet, and no summer tire option (which very few people probably bought anyway). I've driven both years and they are essentially same, and I actually prefer the rear styling of the 2019. As I said in a previous post, I think the Soundscreen acoustic glass in the front doors makes very little if any difference in quietness of the cabin. I think they should have put it in all four doors instead of just the front two anyway, plus the sunroof. The Soundscreen windshield I'm sure does the most good of any of the glass for noise absorption, which it still has for 2019. And the 2019 is actually a better value as the price is almost $2100 less than the 2018 when equipped the same (fully loaded). Unfortunately for people who want the more affordable sports sedan without all the bells and whistles, for 2019 they are out of luck.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts