Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car in today for its first oil change. 1750 miles on the odometer and the technician informed me that the oil was 1 quart low already. Ugh!

Could it be normal for new engine braking to consume a quart of oil in 1700 miles? I'm trying to figure out if I should be very concerned or not.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes it can, but Id keep an eye on the consumption as the break in period nears the end. I would think your rings would have been seated by now, what type of break in did you do with the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it can, but Id keep an eye on the consumption as the break in period nears the end. I would think your rings would have been seated by now, what type of break in did you do with the car.
Nothing special. I took it easy for the first 500 miles and didn't rev it too high, but since then I've driven it as I would normally. I haven't beaten it at all. OK, one time I did but it was around 1300 miles and I was particular hurry. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Running it hard can actually help seat the rings and I highly doubt you running it hard a few times caused it.
Keep an eye on it and if it loses another qtr the next change, I would bring up your concern with Ford.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who performed the oil change? Ford Dealer?

There is a procedure that needs to be follow on changing the oil on these engines.

Loosen the oil filter cap and allow the engine to drainback for approx 15-30 mins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The seal on my oil pan was poorly done and was leaking oil, not a qt though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who performed the oil change? Ford Dealer?

There is a procedure that needs to be follow on changing the oil on these engines.

Loosen the oil filter cap and allow the engine to drainback for approx 15-30 mins.
I had checked the oil myself a a week ago while getting gas and it appeared down 3/4 of a quart. I chalked it up to not being perfectly level but had the technician check it and show it to me in the shop before they did anything else. Down 1 whole quart.

I hope it is just break-in loss......

BTW, I used M1 for the change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Took my car in today for its first oil change. 1750 miles on the odometer and the technician informed me that the oil was 1 quart low already. Ugh!

Could it be normal for new engine braking to consume a quart of oil in 1700 miles? I'm trying to figure out if I should be very concerned or not.
I bought mine with 7 miles on the ODO and I am now at over 8K miles.....and the oil level is STILL full on the dipstick. I experienced the same with my Focus ST. I'll say to you what i said to the other guys in the ST forum........ something must be wrong with your car..... I drive the cars like a bat out of ****, with no issues, or drop in oil. I've owned 9 different vehicles from brand new and never experienced the "Magical Oil Drop" that random people talk about. Only in an old, used car do i ever see that..... That's my experience and opinion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought mine with 7 miles on the ODO and I am now at over 8K miles.....and the oil level is STILL full on the dipstick. I experienced the same with my Focus ST. I'll say to you what i said to the other guys in the ST forum........ something must be wrong with your car..... I drive the cars like a bat out of ****, with no issues, or drop in oil. I've owned 9 different vehicles from brand new and never experienced the "Magical Oil Drop" that random people talk about. Only in an old, used car do i ever see that..... That's my experience and opinion.
Wow. That does make me concerned. I am going to watch it closely.

Do you mean you have yet to change the oil in for FFS?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just had my first oil change today as well and was 1 qt low @ 2,5xx miles and will be keeping a close eye on it from here on out. I noticed my rear bumper near the exhaust pipes had a blackish tint to it from what I assume is burnt oil.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Some things to keep an eye out for is any smoke on start up or during spirited driving and check your exhaust tips for any oil residue. Don't get it confused with carbon build up. If you see bluish smoke then you have an issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Do you guys find it hard to check the oil in our cars? Mine is always very hard to read compared to past & other current vehicles. It seems like the oil gets wiped away a bit or something as you pull out the dipstick, I can never get a clear or exact reading on this car. I know someone has talked about a check valve in the oil pan/dipstick causing oil extractors to not work very well in our engines - wondering if that's hitting the dipstick or something.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had checked the oil myself a a week ago while getting gas and it appeared down 3/4 of a quart. I chalked it up to not being perfectly level but had the technician check it and show it to me in the shop before they did anything else. Down 1 whole quart.

I hope it is just break-in loss......

BTW, I used M1 for the change.
If you checked it at the gas station, I assume you didn't let it set for 15 minutes before checking. The oil drains from the head down through the turbos after shutdown to keep from cooking the oil that would otherwise be trapped there. Page 261 in the manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow. That does make me concerned. I am going to watch it closely.

Do you mean you have yet to change the oil in for FFS?
This morning, i checked my oil level on the dip stick and it was barely lower than the max fill line....I would say on a scale of 1-10 on the dip stick.....it was an 8.5. This is with 9,500 miles. I JUST took it to the dealer to do the 10k scheduled maintenance. The tech at Ford said that every thing is all good. He did not see any fluid leaks or anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar issue, at 3,000 miles i was 2 quarts low. Ford is replacing the cylinder heads on my FFS as a warranty claim. The heads were leaking alot of oil into the combustion chamber

·
Registered
56 Posts
DaMiFo asked if anyone had trouble reading the dipstick when checking the oil level. I noticed the same problem that he had. I can't get a good reading because the oil is being wiped away as you pull the stick out. This is the only car that I have had with this problem. I can't get a good line on the stick to read. Any body have a solution to this??

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I pulled mine in the garage today to put a coat of wax on it. Figured since it was on a level surface I'd wax it while the oil drained from the heads back to the pan. The car has around 2070 miles on it. After I buffed the wax off I checked the dipstick 3 or 4 times just to be sure. Read full every time right at the max fill mark. Smelled the oil too to check for a gas smell (some members on here said their's smelt like gas too) and didn't smell any gas either. I was happy to see the oil was still at max fill mark and the oil surprisingly didn't look all that black. Keep in mind though I will check it on a regular basis to until more miles are put on the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts