Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of the widespread oil pan issues but where do those typically leak from? My leak appears to be right from the plug - yes, of course I checked to make sure it was screwed in all the way.

I changed my oil just under two weeks ago and noticed a small puddle under the car this morning. Time to call Ford.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you confirm leakage is from plug, it's possible O-Ring is damaged or contaminated. If this is the issue, you either need to purchase a new plug from Ford (was under $4 if I remember correctly) with a new O-ring. I have one sitting on the shelf just in case. Ford does not service O-Ring separately. With some work on your part you could also find an O-Ring on the aftermarket.

I was under the impression that people with pan leaks experienced gasket sealing issues. Our 2018 has been good so far.

Good luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm aware of the widespread oil pan issues but where do those typically leak from? My leak appears to be right from the plug - yes, of course I checked to make sure it was screwed in all the way.

I changed my oil just under two weeks ago and noticed a small puddle under the car this morning. Time to call Ford.
Hi LeVeL. As jhundertmaek stated, the oil leaks being experienced by others and discussed here are caused by bad pan gasket seals. Yours sounds like a damaged or missing O-ring/crush washer on your drain plug (not sure which it uses).

Unfortunately, since you say the oil fill plug is tight, the only way to verify and/or fix will be to remove the plug and see what the story is with the O-ring/crush washer. So that will entail losing most/all of the oil you just put in the car.

Also, if you changed the oil yourself and bring your Fusion to the Dealer for this...just so you are ready: Do not be surprised if your Ford Dealer asks where you had the oil change performed, and possibly charges you for any work they do, especially if they discover a missing O-ring/crush washer. The reason would be because the leak would be due to "somebody" re-installing the plug without the O-ring/crush washer, or installing it incorrectly, as opposed to a factory defect or error on their part, if they had performed the oil change.

I am not wishing this on you, just want you to be aware the Dealer would be within their rights to charge you, if they want. Hopefully they will not ask.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
313 Posts
@LeVeL I believe the service procedure for changing the oil calls for replacing the drain plug every time, with a new one. So unless you did that, there's no expectation that the plug would be any good after you put it back in.

I wish it wasn't like that, but I'm almost certain that's what I read.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should be able to swap out the plug without loosing too much oil. Pull out the old one and put your finger over the hole then get the new one in as quick as you can. I did this with a regular metal plug on my truck and only lost maybe half a cup. Have someone to help in case you need something while your finger is holding in the oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
@LeVeL I believe the service procedure for changing the oil calls for replacing the drain plug every time, with a new one. So unless you did that, there's no expectation that the plug would be any good after you put it back in.

I wish it wasn't like that, but I'm almost certain that's what I read.
You are correct they recommend replacing every oil change but I have reused the plug up to as many as 5 oil changes. Now I change it every couple changes as they are less than $10.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
You should be able to swap out the plug without loosing too much oil. Pull out the old one and put your finger over the hole then get the new one in as quick as you can. I did this with a regular metal plug on my truck and only lost maybe half a cup. Have someone to help in case you need something while your finger is holding in the oil.
LOL ummm I assume you haven't changed the oil in the sport? This works on older cars but the tsunami of oil that blows out of the pan when the plug is removed will cover LeVeL and his driveway/garage floor before he can figure out WTH just happened...

·
Registered
276 Posts
LOL ummm I assume you haven't changed the oil in the sport? This works on older cars but the tsunami of oil that blows out of the pan when the plug is removed will cover LeVeL and his driveway/garage floor before he can figure out WTH just happened...
😆 I wondered when AI from Iowa suggested plugging the drain with a finger... I reminded me of how Bot Rocket described the first time he drained his oil. I lost it the first time I read it.

WARNING THE OIL GUSHES OUT WITH ALL THE FURY OF H3LL!!! Imagine a garden hose being uncorked, letting loose pure hate and AIDS.”

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I learned that lesson the hard way by covering my garage floor with oil when I first got my car at the beginning of the year. Second oil change though - not a drop spilled. It's just annoying that I have to pour out two week old oil (can't think of a good way to reuse it without contaminating it).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, riddle me this.

Two weeks ago I changed the oil.

Two days ago I found several ounces of fresh oil under the car.

Yesterday I found just a few drops of oil under the car.

This morning I went into the garage planning on changing the drain plug... And there isn't a single drop of oil on the floor. Dipstick still shows a healthy level so it hasn't just all leaked out.

So do I change the plug or not?? Did it magically stop leaking??

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Sounds like with the engine cycles that the O-ring may have swollen to stop the drip.

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like with the engine cycles that the O-ring may have swollen to stop the drip.
Certainly a possibility. Not terribly surprising that it took two weeks either - I work from home so I've barely been driving.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Certainly a possibility. Not terribly surprising that it took two weeks either - I work from home so I've barely been driving.
Hi LeVeL. As you said, certainly a possibility. Wipe it down very carefully, check it over very well and keep a close eye on it for awhile as far as leaks and oil level.

My opinion: If you are worried about wasting the oil, and it does not leak anymore, or the leak is not enough to worry you, replace the plug/O-ring/crush washer next oil change (if that is the correct procedure as others have mentioned).
If it were my car and it still leaked or dripped, I would replace it now, only because I would not want the oil stains on my driveway or garage floor. But that is just me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi LeVeL. As you said, certainly a possibility. Wipe it down very carefully, check it over very well and keep a close eye on it for awhile as far as leaks and oil level.

My opinion: If you are worried about wasting the oil, and it does not leak anymore, or the leak is not enough to worry you, replace the plug/O-ring/crush washer next oil change (if that is the correct procedure as others have mentioned).
If it were my car and it still leaked or dripped, I would replace it now, only because I would not want the oil stains on my driveway or garage floor. But that is just me.

I learned that lesson the hard way by covering my garage floor with oil when I first got my car at the beginning of the year. Second oil change though - not a drop spilled. It's just annoying that I have to pour out two week old oil (can't think of a good way to reuse it without contaminating it).
@bbf2530 Yeah I think that ship has sailed for @LeVeL unfortunately ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always put cardboard down to catch fluids and have kitty litter on standby - the floor itself is fine ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts