Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport AWD 2.7L V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had my 17 sport for even 2 weeks yet, but it is to my understanding that the oil drain plug is plastic? Do these ever need to be replaced? If so, when and do you just replace them if they leak? If anyone could inform me that would be awesome lol- as I plan to do my own oil changes sense I’m going to be changing oil often in this thing

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have not had my 17 sport for even 2 weeks yet, but it is to my understanding that the oil drain plug is plastic? Do these ever need to be replaced? If so, when and do you just replace them if they leak? If anyone could inform me that would be awesome lol- as I plan to do my own oil changes sense I’m going to be changing oil often in this thing
Hi @Cpjensen !

Congrats on getting an FFS! Yeah the oil drain plugs on these are plastic, and they're supposed to be single-use. A lot of guys do reuse them, and sometimes for quite a few oil changes, but just be aware they're technically listed as single-use. It's probably because of the composite oil pain. That's all standard for the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Is there any non plastic options?
I'm not aware of any, but remember you probably don't want to use a drain plug that's harder than the composite oil pan. So if your oil pan is plastic, and you use a metal drain plug, I could see that potentially damaging the oil pan. I'd rather have something happen to my drain plug than have to replace the oil pain.

By the way, if you do have to replace the oil pan, it's a couple-days-long process because you have to use RTV sealant on it and let it set up before you can do anything else. So basically it has to sit in the shop for a day or two. Fortunately, most cars don't have a problem, but if you ever do, just be aware of that. Ford has the instructions, but sometimes they need a little help finding them because it's kind of different from a lot of other engines. Although with as many 2.7L V F150s are out there, they probably are getting better at it now. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,317 Posts
FT4Z-6730-A
They are $7/$8 a piece from Ford dealer.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I get my oil changed only at my dealer and my mechanic will reuse it until he thinks it needs replaced. I’ve not yet paid for a replacement so I’m grateful for the customer care I get from them.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I get my oil changed only at my dealer and my mechanic will reuse it until he thinks it needs replaced. I’ve not yet paid for a replacement so I’m grateful for the customer care I get from them.
Hi @Shawnski ,

It's funny, I read that comment and my first thought was "Wait, they reuse the oil??? In whose car???? Yours or someone else's??????? And why do you even get it changed then????????" Then I realized you meant the drain plug. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm a little slow sometimes but I catch on eventually. 😉

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Black LMS 93V6, GFB Diverter, K&N panel, 165* thermo Ultimate Perf FMI
33 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, yes they are plastic and IMHO they are fine as long as the rubber oring seal stays in good condition. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi @Shawnski ,

It's funny, I read that comment and my first thought was "Wait, they reuse the oil??? In whose car???? Yours or someone else's??????? And why do you even get it changed then????????" Then I realized you meant the drain plug. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm a little slow sometimes but I catch on eventually. 😉
Yeah, my sixth grade English teacher would have rapped my knuckles with a ruler for that sentence structure! Ha!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Last oil change I did on mine I added a O ring to it, makes it fit a lot tighter, but still didn't help with the slight leak I have. Plan on ordering a new plug see if that fixes it, Paul had the oil pan replaced on one of the Lincolns we built not to long after building it. Nice thing about it being a clear title, still under warranty.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm still using the original oil drain plug, now over 70k miles. I do the oil changes myself, I've changed it eight times so far. I have a couple spare plugs, just in case. It doesn't leak a single drop.

The oil plugs look so nice, it seems a shame that they're disposable.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
858 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not really, you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more for something like that considering where it goes and a failure could cost you a lot of money. What I want to see is a aluminum replacement for the plastic oil pan, but with the end of both the Fusion and MKZ, we may never see that happen. Though with the Edge and others we might see something, never know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not really, youx get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more for something like that considering where it goes and a failure could cost you a lot of money. What I want to see is a aluminum replacement for the plastic oil pan, but with the end of both the Fusion and MKZ, we may never see that happen. Though with the Edge and others we might see something, never know.
Yes that would be nice but I think many other car manufactures are also using plastic oil pans. I think there may be a significant savings by doing so. I am sure I have mentioned this before but dies are made to punch out these oil pans and wear out. You can punch out many more plastic oil pans with a die than you can aluminum pans. But if the pans do not adhere to the cast iron block I would think that can also get expensive to repair. So I agree the aluminum pans would be the best option but Ford had thier own ideas.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not really, you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more for something like that considering where it goes and a failure could cost you a lot of money. What I want to see is a aluminum replacement for the plastic oil pan, but with the end of both the Fusion and MKZ, we may never see that happen. Though with the Edge and others we might see something, never know.
At that price ($49.99) plus tax and shipping it will be slightly south of $60 . That is 7.6 times more than the plastic plug.

I searched the web and found no failures under "Ford 2.7 Ecoboost oil drain plug failure " and no problems reported. The composite oil pan was undoubtably the main complaint the oil pan assembly. I think the main key to the plastic plug is to thoroughly inspect the o-ring before putting it in.

I would be the first to buy the billet plug if there were problems with the plastic one ,but there aren't any.. I put 60,000 miles on a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 EB and however many miles on my FFS and never had a problem with the plug. The billet one is very nice but it is an expensive solution (verses the stock plug) to a problem that does not exist.
Packing materials Automotive tire Rectangle Shelving Gas

1 - 20 of 28 Posts