Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any talk of these on the other threads in this forum. When buying new wheels, this must be an issue. I'm trying to order snow tires and wheels online, but been putting it off till someone on here posts what fits. I think lower offset and less backspacing will give more room for the brakes and rubbing if a larger tire is used but what are the stock wheels offset and backspacing?
Also is 5-108 = 5-4.25?
The websites that have Fusion sport as a choice all say 16's will fit. I have a set of 16's and they hit the caliper by over an inch.They obviously have not actually tried to fit 16's on a Sport, so their offsets for the wheels they offer may be wrong too.
I was going to try 18x7.5 wheels with 225/50/18 tires for a touch narrower and a touch more ground clearance. I'm sure some of you up North have to or have already been through this!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Ford dealer just told me to ask American Racing what would fit. I just emailed them and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
there have been discussion about snow tires. there is a thread about it. Right now i think everyone is waiting to see if 18's will actually fit. I know I am. I want to order them and save some money by going with a smaller rim, but can't get any positive answers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I emailed Tire Rack yesterday and they insist that 16- and 17-inch wheels will fit. Even a casual inspection of my Sport says they're wrong. A 17-inch tire (with no wheel at all) won't fit over the front brake caliper. Apparently we'll have to wait for someone to order smaller wheels and return them before they realize that the Sport is different. 18-inchers might fit, depending on the profile of the wheel, but it would be very tight. As long as they insist that 16-17 inch wheels will fit, they obviously won't really know which 18-inch wheels will fit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed Tire Rack yesterday and they insist that 16- and 17-inch wheels will fit. Even a casual inspection of my Sport says they're wrong. A 17-inch tire (with no wheel at all) won't fit over the front brake caliper. Apparently we'll have to wait for someone to order smaller wheels and return them before they realize that the Sport is different. 18-inchers might fit, depending on the profile of the wheel, but it would be very tight. As long as they insist that 16-17 inch wheels will fit, they obviously won't really know which 18-inch wheels will fit.
I will know very soon, Ford don't know, American Racing don't know, so my local Nokian dealer is going to start with 16's and move up from there. I told him even the rubber won't fit on 16's and 17's but he thinks i'm crazy. He is going to try the 16's Thursday the 22nd. He gets them from Tire Rack. When he tells me they don't fit, I'll order from Discount Tire Direct, because they are the only ones who admit they don't know yet.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yeah, I will probably order the 18's see how they fit when the car comes in and go from there. Delivery should be early October, so as long as I have a set that fits by end of October I will be fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
... He is going to try the 16's Thursday the 22nd. He gets them from Tire Rack. When he tells me they don't fit, I'll order from Discount Tire Direct, because they are the only ones who admit they don't know yet.
Make sure he starts with the front. There's plenty of space in the rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I will probably order the 18's see how they fit when the car comes in and go from there. Delivery should be early October, so as long as I have a set that fits by end of October I will be fine.
Unless you went with the summer only tire option, you'll likely be fine even longer. I agree winter tires are better, but there's a ton of FWD all season tires on the road. Even in Sconi winters.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Unless you went with the summer only tire option, you'll likely be fine even longer. I agree winter tires are better, but there's a ton of FWD all season tires on the road. Even in Sconi winters.
I realize that but the ratings these tires got for snow and ice are really bad. Like barely better than a summer tire kind of bad. And with me driving 40 miles one way to and from work generally before the plows do their thing, or just as they start to do their thing, I would feel a lot better having snow tires.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Anyone near central NJ who wants to see if the stock 2015 fusion 18's will fit, I have
an extra set I bought as take-offs, for a set of high perf all seasons and I only use the stockers
in winter.

I'd be interested myself as if I get a sport, I would get the summer tires and
use these extra 18's for winter if they fit.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well if knobody has any answers by the time I get my car, many ST buddy has 17" snows I will try out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isn't the spare an 18"? So shouldn't an 18 work if it is sized similar?

235/40 19R is 26.4" diameter, 9.3" width, 3.7" sidewall

235/45 18R is 26.3" diameter, 9.3" width, and 4.2" sidewall

I think that is as close as you are going to get

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just curious: Is there a reason outside of cost to go with a smaller wheel for the winter tires? I know some of you are trying to make use of existing smaller wheels, but I didn't know if there was some other reasoning behind using smaller diameter tires for winter.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just curious: Is there a reason outside of cost to go with a smaller wheel for the winter tires? I know some of you are trying to make use of existing smaller wheels, but I didn't know if there was some other reasoning behind using smaller diameter tires for winter.
Diameter is mostly around cost for me. But also having less space in the rim for ice build up and more of a sidewall on the tire will help protect against unseen potholes and chunks of ice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. This link has a good explanation. Wide, low profile tires are not your friend on snow and ice. Going to a narrower tire is a good thing, and if you can go with a smaller wheel with taller tires, the tires will be considerably less expensive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes. This link has a good explanation. Wide, low profile tires are not your friend on snow and ice. Going to a narrower tire is a good thing, and if you can go with a smaller wheel with taller tires, the tires will be considerably less expensive.
Thanks for the link. I knew a narrower footprint was an advantage in snow, but I hadn't considered some of these other points.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Not just the tire cost, but a rim like the stock 18's are pretty cheap, while still being a factory rim
that is not out of round, like many of the cheap china rims are.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts