Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
For those that modified the MRT, is there enough room between the MRT and the gas tank to fit a resonator without changing the original path of the exhaust. Thinking about getting the MRT and having a shop weld in the resonators off of the car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone else end up getting the Borla Axle Back I'm thinking about getting it for myself for Christmas. I know it's expensive as ****, but I don't want to experiment with a bunch of different stuff and they claim to have their special 1-4-1 things to cut down drone. I want a better sound, zero or near zero drone and don't want four trips to muffler shop to get it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone else end up getting the Borla Axle Back I'm thinking about getting it for myself for Christmas. I know it's expensive as ****, but I don't want to experiment with a bunch of different stuff and they claim to have their special 1-4-1 things to cut down drone. I want a better sound, zero or near zero drone and don't want four trips to muffler shop to get it.
I just made my own using vibrant ultra quiet resonators. Super high quality materials and under $400 all in

·
Registered
252 Posts
Another “no drone” option are Flomaster DBX #12514310. They rumble at idle and are loud enough for me under acceleration. I kept the stock resonater.
Why did you go with 2.5" over 2.25" inlets? 12414310 is 2.25 and wouldn't require changing pipe sizes. I can't see in your pics where they changed the size.

I think I am going to go this route. Guy at Mieneke (no rear muffler shops around me) suggested HP2 Foowmasters, but your setup is a few less bends/welds, and would be much cheaper. Serious about no drone? Did you have any vids?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why did you go with 2.5" over 2.25" inlets? 12414310 is 2.25 and wouldn't require changing pipe sizes. I can't see in your pics where they changed the size.

I think I am going to go this route. Guy at Mieneke (no rear muffler shops around me) suggested HP2 Foowmasters, but your setup is a few less bends/welds, and would be much cheaper. Serious about no drone? Did you have any vids?
The tips are 2.5 stock, so either way, somewhere you will have to increase to 2.5

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yup, what Focus112 said. And I wanted low noise balanced with least flow restriction so stepping up to the larger muffler before the stock tips seemed to make sense.

I don’t have an audio recording right now but can try to get some. But yeah, I’m on the highway 60min/day (usually without the radio on)and never notice drone. In fact I’m a shade OCD about noise in my car. If something is rattling/vibrating it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, after reviewing all the videos and sound clips, I think I have decided to go with the resonator & muffler delete. Go back with a Magnaflow 11385 in place of the resonator. Where the stock muffler is chopped off, convert from 2.25 to 2.50 inch pipe and attach to stock tips.

I saw on one of the videos, someone did the same thing with a Magnaflow 11379 (2.5 in and out). It was my intention to drop to the 11378 (2.25 in and out). This muffler is a straight through. Got to thinking about those videos with all the "snapping and popping" and decided to go with the 11385 (2.25 in and out). It is a X-pipe design. I don't want those "snaps and pops" when I let off the gas. The 11385 is also longer (20 inch) than the 11378 (17 inch), but still not as long as the stock resonator (24 inch). The layout of the inlet and outlets on the 11385 are narrower than the 11378 and more closely match up to the stock pipe layout.

Went by my muffler shop today an got a quote. $460.00. Will have to get this on the "To Do" List.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Two ultra quiet resonators used as mufflers? Kept stock res?
Exactly. Everything done in stainless, tig welded. Looks sick

Ok I'm trying to decide between your setup @Focus112 and @Hootushead setup, essentially same thing, one with Ultra Quiet res and his with the Flowmasters. You guys were kind enough to post videos, but I can't tell side by side because of difference in video.

I really like Focus112's sound under acceleration, and really liked drone free sound of Hootushead's setup.

Hootushead does yours sound similar to Focus112 under acceleration? Focus112, does yours have any drone?

Hootushead's vids post #13 in thread.

I need help deciding between the two this was supposed to my my Xmas present to myself, but I've been too afraid to pull the trigger on one. Help me decide guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok I'm trying to decide between your setup @Focus112 and @Hootushead setup, essentially same thing, one with Ultra Quiet res and his with the Flowmasters. You guys were kind enough to post videos, but I can't tell side by side because of difference in video.

I really like Focus112's sound under acceleration, and really liked drone free sound of Hootushead's setup.

Hootushead does yours sound similar to Focus112 under acceleration? Focus112, does yours have any drone?

Hootushead's vids post #13 in thread.

I need help deciding between the two this was supposed to my my Xmas present to myself, but I've been too afraid to pull the trigger on one. Help me decide guys.
There is no highway drone. It does get loud at times under light load in city driving. It sounds incredible accelerating as shown in the video.

If it was just me the noise would be a non issue and it's alot quieter then exhausts of my past. I have a young child and my wife thinks it's too loud for him.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Went with the Vibrant Ultra Quiets. Will post multiple vids once I get them installed. They arrive Wednesday, but I got to get it out to the shop, hopefully I have an early day soon, if not. I'll have to schedule a half day at work or do night drop. I don't like the idea of leaving my baby overnight (s).

·
Registered
717 Posts
I guess I'll add to this thread on top of my build thread. Magna X muffler (which made no difference from stock for me in sound or performance), pair of 2.5" Flowmaster 71226. Eventually went back to stock tips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To make sure I understand - our FFS stock exhaust looks like this: cat > 2.25" pipe > 2.25" in - stock resonator - 2.25" out > 2.25" pipe > 2.25" in - trashcan muffler - 2.5" out > 2.5" pipe > 2.5" tips?

Is there really any reason to go 2.5" vs 2.25" in our case?

I'm thinking of either option 1 or 2 below:

Option 1: 2.25" setup

cat > 2.25" pipe > 2.25" in - Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler 11385 - 2.25" out > 2.25" pipe > 2.25" tips (thinking single oval design)

I figure this will be slightly cheaper option as some of the original tubing can be reused. This would also likely be the sweet spot for less restriction while also improving sound / tone.

Option 2: 2.5" setup

cat > 2.5" pipe > 2.5" in - Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler 11386 - 2.5" out > 2.5" pipe > 2.5" tips (thinking single oval design)

I figure this will be a slightly more expensive option as it will require all new piping / parts after the cats. This would probably lessen restriction even more but might be more overbearing / drone.

Can anyone please confirm if they think either would be better overall for sound / restriction reduction / performance / tradeoffs?

Also, would using 2.5" tips on a 2.25" piping setup have any ill affects?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You are correct on the stock set up.

Thing to remember about sound, the smaller you make the pipe, the higher the pitch in sound will be. Bigger = lower tones.

The larger the pipe, the quicker the flow gets out. Always better better for the engine, as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: jmkennedyj

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the input. Cool - so the stock basically switches from 2.25" to 2.5" at end of the flow probably for tone (even though there's basically little sound).

I wonder how much of a difference 0.25" would make regardless if there's anyone that has experienced both. Especially as I'm having more luck finding oval tips that will fit in our crop out areas that are 2.25".

I'm basically going for a similar exhaust build / tone as TheAngryGoat916 (youtube) or VanWilder. I know VanWilder used 2.5" tubing but can anyone confirm if AngryGoat used 2.25" or 2.5"? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts