Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have the oem windshield replaced because of a new commute. First day driving into the morning sun I realized how crappy the original was. Pretty sure it was the laminate in between layers since it looked the same since it was new. The replacement is so much clearer!! 425$ installed at my work, seemed expensive to me but in nearly 35 years of driving I’ve never replaced one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A partial explanation may be the following... I think the '17 Sports have OEM acoustic noise-reducing windshields (and side glass, too). At some subsequent model year Ford went to windshield-only noise reducing glass.

Here's a nice article on this noise-reducing glass, which includes how to determine if the installed glass is noise-reducing: How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - Better Soundproofing

Reactions: Sleeper6

·
Registered
498 Posts
A partial explanation may be the following... I think the '17 Sports have OEM acoustic noise-reducing windshields (and side glass, too). At some subsequent model year Ford went to windshield-only noise reducing glass.

Here's a nice article on this noise-reducing glass, which includes how to determine if the installed glass is noise-reducing: How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - Better Soundproofing
2017 Sports do have acoustic noise-reducing windshields. Not sure about he side glass. It makes for a quiet car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why would Ford get rid of the sound proofing in the 2018's or newer ? Either cost savings or something was discovered wrong with them. I know these windshields chip easy. I've got several pitted chips and one big enough that it started cracking and I had to have it sealed. Just got that done last week $140.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Why would Ford get rid of the sound proofing in the 2018's or newer ? Either cost savings or something was discovered wrong with them. I know these windshields chip easy. I've got several pitted chips and one big enough that it started cracking and I had to have it sealed. Just got that done last week $140.
Are you getting chips on the side glass? That's where they supposedly decontented the newer ones.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Funny my wife's 2017 Explorer Sport got hit on the passenger side glass by a rock and it cracked. I'd never seen that happen before on a car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Just for clarity, Ford did not get rid of the soundproofing on the side glass in the 2018s. They removed the soundproofed side glass starting with the 2019s.

In the two years that did have the soundproofed side glass, the soundproof glass was only in the front sides. All 3 years (2017-2019) have the soundproof windshield glass, though.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Got my windshield replaced as it was delaminating

1 - 12 of 12 Posts