Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, yesterday was track day in Buffalo! I made 4 hard passes and after my 4th pass I immediately noticed a loud Humming/wine/rubbing/spinning noise. (I wish I could describe the sound better but I’ll attach a video I took earlier). This morning I drove the car to work to attempt to diagnose. I noticed the noise is triggered by fully letting off the gas while moving, then persists until I give it gas. When I get back on the petal there is a slight click sound and the noise immediately stops until I have to let off the gas again. The sound is the same in every gear and doesn’t change at different speeds or while turning. This happens while just coasting and while braking (basically anytime the car isn’t accelerating). The steering wheel is not shaking although there is a very slight vibration though out the whole car for the duration of the noise.
Can’t seem to get the video to attach so I’m going to link it here. (Sorry if that is frowned upon here)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
878 Posts
Check your transmission fluid level. Dip stick under the air filter box. Next, I would check for your PTU fluid. That is more involved. But, this is something I would not wait around to get checked out at the dealership.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
316 Posts
Can you tell if its coming from the drivers side or passenger side? Might be a wheel bearing or maybe you damaged an axel with a hard launch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you tell if its coming from the drivers side or passenger side? Might be a wheel bearing or maybe you damaged an axel with a hard launch.
I the hum sounds like it’s coming from everywhere, there is a slight click when I get back on the gas and that sounds like it comes from the front driver side, and a slight whistle that sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side or somewhere closer to the middle of the engine bay. I was thinking the same thing but the sound doesn’t change at all through corners or turns. I will get under the car today after work and examine the axel. Thanks for the advice, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your transmission fluid level. Dip stick under the air filter box. Next, I would check for your PTU fluid. That is more involved. But, this is something I would not wait around to get checked out at the dealership.
I will do that, it’s about time for a full trans fluid flush anyways.. I plan to get under the Air box today. I want to check on the turbo tech racing Trans mount I installed a while back, as well because the noise seems like a very amplified version of the NVH that the trans mount added.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
PTU ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got home I checked the trans dip stick while the car was warm. Trans oil level actually seems high. That lead me to get under the car to check out the PTU and axel (both look fine) While under the car I gave the trans a once around for the hell of it, noticed a bit of fluid built up around the seal where it seems to be missing a bolt? (Not a transmission wizard by any means so I may have no idea what I’m talking about) The felt cover is also stained right under where the fluid was building up leading me to believe I actually have lost a significant amount of fluid over time. But I don’t understand why the dipstick still read full. I don’t really know where to go from here, I am still under extended warranty but I’m assuming the dealer isn’t going to want to cover anything and will most likely blame the trans mount or other mods. (They have said something about my mods in the past)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When I got home I checked the trans dip stick while the car was warm. Trans oil level actually seems high. That lead me to get under the car to check out the PTU and axel (both look fine) While under the car I gave the trans a once around for the hell of it, noticed a bit of fluid built up around the seal where it seems to be missing a bolt? (Not a transmission wizard by any means so I may have no idea what I’m talking about) The felt cover is also stained right under where the fluid was building up leading me to believe I actually have lost a significant amount of fluid over time. But I don’t understand why the dipstick still read full. I don’t really know where to go from here, I am still under extended warranty but I’m assuming the dealer isn’t going to want to cover anything and will most likely blame the trans mount or other mods. (They have said something about my mods in the past)
My car has been leaking from between the transmission casing halves for a very long time. Soaked and basically ruined my under engine tray. At 2-3 ounces low I would get odd shifting behavior at the track but not on the road. At 3-5 ounces I’d feel it on the road. Lowest it ever got was -8 ounces. Leaks enough to leave a wet spot under the car when the tray is removed. Never made any kind of strange noises though. Did you say you have a solid trans mount? After I installed the TurboTech mount I could hear and feel the transmission like through a stethoscope. I heard your video and my noise is nothing like yours though. I would check the trans mount for a sheared bolt. Also take a hard look at those crossmember bolts with the weird star heads that had to be removed to install the mount.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car has been leaking from between the transmission casing halves for a very long time. Soaked and basically ruined my under engine tray. At 2-3 ounces low I would get odd shifting behavior at the track but not on the road. At 3-5 ounces I’d feel it on the road. Lowest it ever got was -8 ounces. Leaks enough to leave a wet spot under the car when the tray is removed. Never made any kind of strange noises though. Did you say you have a solid trans mount? After I installed the TurboTech mount I could hear and feel the transmission like through a stethoscope. I heard your video and my noise is nothing like yours though. I would check the trans mount for a sheared bolt. Also take a hard look at those crossmember bolts with the weird star heads that had to be removed to install the mount.
I do have the TurboTech mount. Visually the trans mount bolts look ok as well as the weird star head bolts.. Would you go as far as to remove the mount to examine? As soon as it was installed there was a very faint version of this, barely audible. It seemed to stay the same for months so I wrote it off as NVH. The fact that the noise changed instantly and not gradually leads me to believe i broke something rather than this being related to a slow leak that imo would have caused a more gradual increse in sound or atleast other symptoms. That and the fact that my dipstick read fine tells me it may have nothing to do with the fluid leak.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I do have the TurboTech mount. Visually the trans mount bolts look ok as well as the weird star head bolts.. Would you go as far as to remove the mount to examine? As soon as it was installed there was a very faint version of this, barely audible. It seemed to stay the same for months so I wrote it off as NVH. The fact that the noise changed instantly and not gradually leads me to believe i broke something rather than this being related to a slow leak that imo would have caused a more gradual increse in sound or atleast other symptoms. That and the fact that my dipstick read fine tells me it may have nothing to do with the fluid leak.
Yes, I think I’d pull it off and check it. I’ve seen bolts shear radially and you could not see the break at all. Also possible (not probable, but…) the actual “ear” of the transmission casting could have cracked/broken and the trans could be moving around and binding something enough to generate that noise. Another possibility is the bushing could have fractured.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I think I’d pull it off and check it. I’ve seen bolts shear radially and you could not see the break at all. Also possible (not probable, but…) the actual “ear” of the transmission casting could have cracked/broken and the trans could be moving around and binding something enough to generate that noise. Another possibility is the bushing could have fractured.
Tried to remove the trans mount today and epically failed to get around that trans line in the way.. A while back I had a buddy help me with the install so I don’t remember how I got it in originally. Got the bolt halfway out with the head putting more pressure than I felt comfortable with on that trans line. I did notice prior to getting that far the bolt next to the trans line wasn’t torqued very tight at all. I put basically no effort into breaking it free. Any advice on getting around the trans line to remove the mount? I would like to get the mount back to OEM before I try and get this trans leak covered while I’m still under extended warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check your rotors, I had a never ending chirping sound while coasting/accelerating and skimming the rotors didn’t help. Changing the rotors fixed the problem because I was on original rotors for almost 60k miles

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Tried to remove the trans mount today and epically failed to get around that trans line in the way.. A while back I had a buddy help me with the install so I don’t remember how I got it in originally. Got the bolt halfway out with the head putting more pressure than I felt comfortable with on that trans line. I did notice prior to getting that far the bolt next to the trans line wasn’t torqued very tight at all. I put basically no effort into breaking it free. Any advice on getting around the trans line to remove the mount? I would like to get the mount back to OEM before I try and get this trans leak covered while I’m still under extended warranty.
I’m sorry, while I remember it being very tight, I don’t remember doing anything more than forcing the trans line aside during my install. It was a long while ago when I did it.

Reactions: TylerSchafer97

·
Registered
143 Posts
You need to have a jack under the transmission and drop it down a little and the line will drop out of the way, that was how I installed mine a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You need to have a jack under the transmission and drop it down a little and the line will drop out of the way, that was how I installed mine a couple weeks ago
So to be clear you’re jacking up the trans thus moving the line out of the way? Or are you lowing the trans onto the jack? If so can you walk me through the steps to do so?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used the jack to support the transmission when you remove the support bolts, then slowly lower it just until the bolt clears the line

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update: Took the car into the dealer today and requested to drive the tech around to re-create the sound for him. He immediately identified it as a bad PTU. Got a call today to confirm the suspected the noise is coming from the PTU. They said it should be covered under my extended warranty. He also added they were only able to locate 4 available PTU’s in the whole country!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts