Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple weeks, I've been having an odd, and slightly worrying problem. After starting the car, when I go to shift into reverse, it puts itself back into park, like it does when you open the door while in gear. I've also had it take reverse, but then shift back into park when I select drive. Now, this isn't too much of a problem since I turn around in my own driveway after backing out of the garage, and I'm not in harms way, but if this were to happen when trying to back into the street from work or a friend's house, then I'm a sitting duck... Or worse, it might decide not to let me shift out of park at all, and then I'd be stranded, dead battery problems or not.

Anyone experience this weirdness? repeatedly? If it was a one and done fluke I wouldn't really think anything of it, but its been happening pretty consistently, worryingly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That sounds disturbing Vin. I know that little rotary shifter saves space and all, but I have to admit, the thought of leaving it up to electronics rather than actually changing gears doesn't thrill me in the least. I hope you don't have any further issues, or if you do, they have a quick fix for it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Could be that its maybe getting intermittent signal that the door is not closed all the way. Not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had that happen to me once. Shifted into Reverse and then it made an almost grinding sound and went back into park. I think I might not have had my foot on the brake with enough pressure for the car to think I actually wanted to shift into reverse. I haven't had it happen anymore though, it could be a safety feature if I didn't have enough pressure on the brake. Not really sure though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it happened to me this morning ... I just blew it off as my head not being awake and thinking I had put it in reverse when I hadn't.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had that happen to me once. Shifted into Reverse and then it made an almost grinding sound and went back into park. I think I might not have had my foot on the brake with enough pressure for the car to think I actually wanted to shift into reverse. I haven't had it happen anymore though, it could be a safety feature if I didn't have enough pressure on the brake. Not really sure though.
This could be my problem. Although it is still odd that its just popping up now. I tend to touch the brake just enough to get it to let me turn the shift dial and then let back off again and let the car roll as it takes the gear (which I know is bad, but its a hard habit to break). Maybe the electronic actuator that puts the car into gear won't let it change without sufficient and consistent brake pressure... I'll have to experiment with it now, just to see how it likes to work best.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be that its maybe getting intermittent signal that the door is not closed all the way. Not sure what else it could be.
I know there have been weird door module problems popping up, and I wonder if this might be related to those, or not. I haven't had any window or memory seat problems though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds disturbing Vin. I know that little rotary shifter saves space and all, but I have to admit, the thought of leaving it up to electronics rather than actually changing gears doesn't thrill me in the least. I hope you don't have any further issues, or if you do, they have a quick fix for it.
I like the way it looks and feels, and I've even gotten used to it pretty quickly, but the whole "saving space" thing is bull-******. My Five Hundred had a similarly sized center console with a regular gear stick, and cupholders next to it just like the fusion. its just about all the bezels and crap they wrap around it that takes up space. The dial does make it easier to reach into the big cubby up front though, so I'll give them that as an ease of use improvement.

Sidenote, the Five Hundred's gear selector was electronic just like the dial and those weird joystick things that chrysler kills people with. It just felt natural since it operated like any other automatic gear stick; foot on the brake and squeeze the button...

·
Registered
140 Posts
This has happened to me a small handful of times. Not entirely sure what the circumstances were, to be honest, as it happens so quick. It definitely startled me

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've not ever noticed behaviour like this with my car, but I've always got my foot firmly planted on the brake when I shift.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been more firmly depressing the brake for the past few days when shifting and it hasn't happened since. I'm guessing its a safeguard for the transmission against people like me... At least this will get me out of the habit!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't even realize the little knob actually moves on its own until it happened to me. I had my hand on the dial and foot on brake in reverse in my garage and opened the door, then suddenly it just motored into park. This was very startling and I thought I had done it by accident lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts