Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everything, throttle response, how hard it pulls. All misfires are eliminated, top of 3rd, top of 4th, doesn't matter. Pulls like a freight train without hiccups or misfires. This is my long term fuel trims after about 45 minutes of driving. I don't think it gets much sweeter than this.

Output device Rectangle Font Gadget Computer

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had a few people ask me about tunes, if there's enough interest, I'm considering pulling a website and offering actual custom, personalized tunes/remote tuning for our platform only. I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours now learning this platform, after trying and not being satisfied with any of the current options for tunes. I really believe, there is just a very real lack of information and knowledge available for the ecoboost. I'm mainly considering doing personalized tunes because I don't think there are any available. There are tunes, canned, then you can complain about different things, and get sent different revisions, that may, or may not fix the issue, or cause other issues, receive explanations blaming your hardware, etc. etc. What I would like to consider doing, is a real remote tune, getting a baseline, having specific parameters logged and sent after specific circumstances, cruising, idle, WOT, etc. and then making changes as needed, to the tune itself if there are any issues, and then the speed density tables, to really wake the car up. Really like I said, this would be more because I don't think there's anyone selling personalized tunes/remote tuning for our cars, that is producing good results imo. (I had limp mode with every revision...) I really enjoy this platform and this car, and would mostly be doing it to share the knowledge and insane amount of research and reading I've tortured myself with trying to truly understand this platform. I'm still learning and researching about it, but am definitely at a point where I'm positive a true personalized, dialed in tune is what's missing most from this platform.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds like a plan. For me SD is still my weak spot, still getting a better handle on it, but it's still quite in depth far as how it all works.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would be interested in this

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
'17 Magnetic; Unleashed Tune, FMIC
168 Posts
I've had a few people ask me about tunes, if there's enough interest, I'm considering pulling a website and offering actual custom, personalized tunes/remote tuning for our platform only. I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours now learning this platform, after trying and not being satisfied with any of the current options for tunes. I really believe, there is just a very real lack of information and knowledge available for the ecoboost. I'm mainly considering doing personalized tunes because I don't think there are any available. There are tunes, canned, then you can complain about different things, and get sent different revisions, that may, or may not fix the issue, or cause other issues, receive explanations blaming your hardware, etc. etc. What I would like to consider doing, is a real remote tune, getting a baseline, having specific parameters logged and sent after specific circumstances, cruising, idle, WOT, etc. and then making changes as needed, to the tune itself if there are any issues, and then the speed density tables, to really wake the car up. Really like I said, this would be more because I don't think there's anyone selling personalized tunes/remote tuning for our cars, that is producing good results imo. (I had limp mode with every revision...) I really enjoy this platform and this car, and would mostly be doing it to share the knowledge and insane amount of research and reading I've tortured myself with trying to truly understand this platform. I'm still learning and researching about it, but am definitely at a point where I'm positive a true personalized, dialed in tune is what's missing most from this platform.
So you're not happy with a tune you've gotten from the popular choices? Or you just thought you could dial something in better? Curious how much this would differ from what I've got already.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I’m interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours now learning this platform, after trying and not being satisfied with any of the current options for tunes.
can you explain what you mean here? why are the current tuners not satisfactory for you (ie unleashed, torie, etc), and how is yours different?

·
Registered
847 Posts
One thing any of the reputable tuners will tell you is, give the customer something that feels better, but wont be over the top, and cause damage due to a heavy right foot. In other words, they're not gonna give you all it's got, at least not in a general can tune. Now you might get a custom on the edge tune, but they're also gonna have a better handle on your car and how you drive it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
One thing any of the reputable tuners will tell you is, give the customer something that feels better, but wont be over the top, and cause damage due to a heavy right foot. In other words, they're not gonna give you all it's got, at least not in a general can tune. Now you might get a custom on the edge tune, but they're also gonna have a better handle on your car and how you drive it.
There's a few thoughts I have about all this though:

1. If someone doesn't have spare money to blow on replacing their whole powertrain/drivetrain, they shouldn't be tuning. Period.
2. Some of the "reputable" tuners can be over-aggressive and cause damage. I know of one very well-known tuner company that had an over-aggressive 93 tune that ran worse than their 91 and may have caused engine damage. So I've heard, I mean. I'm not legally committing to anything. I'm just saying, I know of one that did that. Supposedly. Not naming them here though, but you've heard of them.
3. I agree though, a company's going to generally try to keep their reputation good so they won't want to overdo it. I agree there.
4. Nonetheless, I still think HP Tuners is the best way to go if anyone really wants to dig into it. You know what you've got, you can adjust it, you can go exactly as far as you want and no more. It's more "dangerous" in the sense you have to use your head, but it's actually a lot safer I think because you have so much control. As long as you're careful.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm all for HP, but having a good idea on how Ford's system works is very important. Like I tell people, make small changes and don't go crazy thinking bigger is better. Need to know the limitations of the engine, and have a good idea of what you want from your tuning. Years ago we had a very respected tuner in the diesel industry that main stay was the 7.3 Power Stroke, everyone wanted his tuning. Then we had a rash of 7.3 windowing blocks for no real reason, people were just motoring along and bam. There goes a rod through the side. Later on it was found that his 80E tune was the reason for the failures after someone broke into his tune and got a good look at what he was doing. It was found that he had the timing jacked way up in an effort to gain more millage out of the engine. Issue was it caused high cylinder pressures which lead to the failures. Not even sure he's still tuning these days, I know about the time I sold mine he was a has been in the tuning world, but with the advent of the Hydra chip he really couldn't compete. So yeah, not marketing tunes that make motors go boom is a good thing for business.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Has anyone gotten the "canned" tunes as a basis to start tuning using HP? (is it even offered if you ask?)
I suppose you can't read an SCT tune, using HP?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Has anyone gotten the "canned" tunes as a basis to start tuning using HP? (is it even offered if you ask?)
I suppose you can't read an SCT tune, using HP?
I don't know of any of them that will do that. All the tunes are locked. Honestly, if a tune is locked it's a lot less useful, in my opinion, because my main goal in buying the tuner was understanding how the systems worked. I know that's probably not why most folks buy it, but that's why I wanted it. Anyhow who wants it for the same reasons I did won't find much use for a normal tune from most tuners.

·
Registered
847 Posts
No your not gonna read a SCT tune with it, what your doing is starting out with a stock tune from your car and going from there making changes. Far as though go, there's a lot to look at. A lot of limiters, and other tables that need raised. All of which just depends on how much more power you want to add. What we can do is share tunes with each other, long as the OS is the same between them. If not you can copy n paste tables from files and then use those. Example would be me right now with a file I wrote, but then I used the transient fueling table from a 2020 Explorer ST. Transient fueling table is more or less your accelerator pump for fuel injection, direct injection if you want to be more precise versus port injection. So to answer your question, no there really isn't a " can tune " .

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
No your not gonna read a SCT tune with it, what your doing is starting out with a stock tune from your car and going from there making changes. Far as though go, there's a lot to look at. A lot of limiters, and other tables that need raised. All of which just depends on how much more power you want to add. What we can do is share tunes with each other, long as the OS is the same between them. If not you can copy n paste tables from files and then use those. Example would be me right now with a file I wrote, but then I used the transient fueling table from a 2020 Explorer ST. Transient fueling table is more or less your accelerator pump for fuel injection, direct injection if you want to be more precise versus port injection. So to answer your question, no there really isn't a " can tune " .
I don't know of any of them that will do that. All the tunes are locked. Honestly, if a tune is locked it's a lot less useful, in my opinion, because my main goal in buying the tuner was understanding how the systems worked. I know that's probably not why most folks buy it, but that's why I wanted it. Anyhow who wants it for the same reasons I did won't find much use for a normal tune from most tuners.
As I suspected. I am pretty happy with the engine tuning and power from unleashed. I want to possibly change limiters that have to do with lag/launch and I know I want to change/modify shift points and overall trans strategy at a minimum. Asking a tuner to do a minor change, upwards of 100 times possibly until you get it perfect, would be a royal PIA. As good as the tuners are, they will not spend that kind of time.

I've tuned blown and/or stroked fox bodies, so I understand how it could be 100's of hours until you get what you want (and those parameters were dirt simple, compared to today's ecoboost/trans /AWD combo's). But in the grand scheme of things, having 11 vehicles, boat, old bobcat, 2 trailers, and a large property to eat up my days, I will not be able to put in the time to start from scratch, on a tune only car (that is also my DD), just to get back to even whatever Unleashed does.

As much as I would love to learn the new tuning, If I can't start with the tune I have already, and make minor changes from there, I will most likely just not do it at all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can you explain what you mean here? why are the current tuners not satisfactory for you (ie unleashed, torie, etc), and how is yours different?
I won't say specific tuners, but to my knowledge none of them do speed density adjustments. And every one I've used has either had limp mode when it should not be. And like many many others, when adding methanol, or upping power, they got misfires, and were told it's their hardware. Another user had overboost codes and was told he had faulty hardware, but you can read in the thread, it most certainly was not, it was a parameter that was missed during tuning, but the fact they didn't know, is concerning.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also yes, everyone that tunes for this platform locks their tunes. A lot of in-person only tuners will tell you, that is because there is either VERY few parameters even changed, or they don't want you to see how they achieved some results (i.e. turning off all protection limiters)

·
Registered
847 Posts
You don't want limiters turned off that's for sure, I raise mine, but with in reason. All your tuners that are doing it professionally will lock them, mainly for what you said, and also so other pros can't see what their formula is. I,ve been doing this for over five years now, and I still find things that I didn't look at. Ford's trans strategy is pretty in depth, but once you have an idea on how it works, it's not to bad.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. I am looking for advice or help. Was referred here because I have a 2016 Ford edge sport with several mods. My main issue for the past year is constant misfires at high rpm. I have tried many tuners and they say they see nothing wrong in the datalogs. Zfg racing, unleashed, and I was dyno tuned by national speed in Virginia a month ago. Said car performed fine on the dyno and numbers were ok. They test drove it and no cel. Drove it home fine but a few days later misfires like usual.

In September 2020 it all began after installing upgraded turbos rebuilt by comp turbo technology in Ca. Upgraded a pair of stock ones purchased online. They installed bigger compressor wheels but didn't touch the wastegates at all, which I wonder is my problem now. I am not mechanically skilled so I didn't inspect the turbos after buying. All installing work done by local mechanics.

Anyhow zfg tuned me last year Sept 2020. 1st revision felt good. Second revision felt a bit slower. Third felt insanely fast like too many steps over the previous. Drove an hour and no problems. Parked for the day and started driving home. Engine light and misfires started on the way home and the power was way down from the drive to work. I even replaced the engine after was told cylinder six was scored badly after a scope. After changing plugs 5-6 times and different gaps still misfires at high rpm. Flashing cel and usually stays lit. Code is always misfire. Cylinders 2,3,6 normally.

Car has been looked over at least 10 times in the last year. Replaced my original engine with a used 2017 fusion sport engine, new injectors, new coils, smoke tested for leaks, and many plugs gapped at .026, .028. honestly I pretty much give up at this point. Any advice? Appreciate your time.

Mods are 57 mm comp technology turbos, up intercooler, upgraded cold side pipe, turbo smart bov, catch can, motor mount. Have ran 93 octane tunes for the past year. Do I have an overlooked mechanical problem in your opinion? No misfires on the stock tune but when running the stock tune I sometimes get the wrench light and code is under boost or overboost. But I am running larger turbos so not sure if that is the reason. Sorry for the long story. Is it mechanical or tune?

Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are they tuning for those turbos ?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts