Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
OX1, thanks for the informative links.
I just picked up a Mach-E GT. I have to admit, OX1's first article / link is accurate...at least IMO after driving it for 500 miles so far: plenty of low-end torque but not so much top end punch.

As far as the battery link goes, the jury is still out for me. I don't plan on keeping the car but i couldn't resist trying one for a while. So, hopefully, I can unload it before they battery ish gets too much legs in social media...

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
OX1, thanks for the informative links.
I just picked up a Mach-E GT. I have to admit, OX1's first article / link is accurate...at least IMO after driving it for 500 miles so far: plenty of low-end torque but not so much top end punch.

As far as the battery link goes, the jury is still out for me. I don't plan on keeping the car but i couldn't resist trying one for a while. So, hopefully, I can unload it before they battery ish gets too much legs in social media...
I have seen a lot of car mags seemingly sandbagging this car. I wonder if it stems from incompetence or a general dislike of the vehicle leading to biased reviews.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have seen a lot of car mags seemingly sandbagging this car. I wonder if it stems from incompetence or a general dislike of the vehicle leading to biased reviews.
I think Ford annoyed a lot of their traditional performance car fans when they put the Mustang badge on an electric SUV. It is what it is.

The thing is, for a lot of regular folks it's probably not a bad vehicle all things considered. I mean if you have a house or something so you have a place to plug it in, and you don't commute a long way or take long trips, and you just want an SUV to get around town, it probably does that really well. It also gets up and moves pretty quickly, and for anyone just getting groceries or whatever, they don't care if it runs out of steam at highway speeds. It just doesn't matter.

And honestly, if I take the argument even further, most average folks might be better off with an SUV. Just for regular driving, running errands, commuting, things like that, an SUV wouldn't really give up anything to a car because if that's all you do then you're not really driving anyway. Not really. By that I mean you're not pushing the vehicle, really connecting with it. So again, it just doesn't matter.

So the truth is, even though I don't really think of it as a performance vehicle, and certainly not a car at all, the Mach-E probably is as good a choice as any for a lot of typical folks who consider driving to be a chore and they just want an appliance. That's not a bad thing. The part I find distasteful is the abuse of the Mustang badge, the suggestion this electric SUV is a performance car. But if you just look at it on its own, it's a pretty good vehicle if what you want is an electric SUV. And hell I'd rather drive a Mach-E any day over something like a Prius. So I have to give it some amount of credit, whether it's my type of vehicle or not.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think Ford annoyed a lot of their traditional performance car fans when they put the Mustang badge on an electric SUV. It is what it is.

The thing is, for a lot of regular folks it's probably not a bad vehicle all things considered. I mean if you have a house or something so you have a place to plug it in, and you don't commute a long way or take long trips, and you just want an SUV to get around town, it probably does that really well. It also gets up and moves pretty quickly, and for anyone just getting groceries or whatever, they don't care if it runs out of steam at highway speeds. It just doesn't matter.

And honestly, if I take the argument even further, most average folks might be better off with an SUV. Just for regular driving, running errands, commuting, things like that, an SUV wouldn't really give up anything to a car because if that's all you do then you're not really driving anyway. Not really. By that I mean you're not pushing the vehicle, really connecting with it. So again, it just doesn't matter.

So the truth is, even though I don't really think of it as a performance vehicle, and certainly not a car at all, the Mach-E probably is as good a choice as any for a lot of typical folks who consider driving to be a chore and they just want an appliance. That's not a bad thing. The part I find distasteful is the abuse of the Mustang badge, the suggestion this electric SUV is a performance car. But if you just look at it on its own, it's a pretty good vehicle if what you want is an electric SUV. And hell I'd rather drive a Mach-E any day over something like a Prius. So I have to give it some amount of credit, whether it's my type of vehicle or not.
I went and took a look at the Mach-E forum. It‘s just a flat line, kind of like an oscilloscope. It wiggles around bit. I think it is powered wirelessly, directly from the Mach-E’s…. Wait, only jokin! Seeing someone on this forum bought one did encourge me to take a look at Fords website, and availability. 2 units within 60 miles, both high $50’s. If I were going electric it’d have to be Tesla right now, just because I like their experience and learning on these cars. But I’m sticking to my FS. Long live the combustion engine!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi gang. Ignoring the politicization of the subject, this is simply an opinion here (mine of course): As the previous owner of 5 Mustang GT's (all black, all factory ordered new), Ford using the Mustang name to create an electric vehicle line did not bother me in the least. I have more important things to worry about in life (my opinion, of course).

Also, the Mustang Mach-E does not run out of steam at highway speeds, unless the highway in discussion is the Autobahn. In the American stop light/highway races of 0-60. 0-80 etc, a Mustang Mach-E GT will smoke our cars and many other higher performance ICE vehicles. And this is simply the initial electric offering from Ford. They will only get better, and faster. I also wonder just how fast do we really need to go? Most cars/vehicles already outstrip their owners driving skills and ability to control them properly. And more importantly for some, their common sense.

Do they cost more than most of us would like to pay? Yes, of course they do. Just like all new technology, it costs more until it hits the mainstream. Like Flatscreen TV's and a hundred other new products and technologies that can be named. But heck, we are all going to complain about the costs of everything anyway, even the cars we actually own. So many Fusion Sport owners still complain about the cost of a Fusion Sport? Of course, that is until someone points out that another competing car may be faster, then we brag about the other car costing more. Ironic, don'tcha think? ;)
And some of the same people who sometimes complain about low fuel economy in our cars are some of the same people who complain about the government requiring higher fuel economy in cars. Ironic again, don'tcha think? ;)

Do I love my ICE vehicles? Yes. Will I miss them eventually? To be honest, despite all "the sky is falling" worries, they will still be around for my lifetime and the lifetime of most of us here.

Are electric vehicles currently inconvenient for many owners? Yes, of course. For example...Those who do not own their own homes and would have charging issues. And for those who travel long distances in one drive regularly (let's say over 250~300 miles). Those issues will need to be addressed and will be with newer technologies. But most of us will never need to worry about these issues in our lifetimes.

Will I purchase a Mustang Mach-E soon? Nope, I have no plans to, because I am not a CUV/SUV fan. I prefer cars. Traditional coupes and sedans, as my previous and current car ownership attests to. In fact, I am more aggravated about Ford eliminating traditional cars/sedans than I am about a vehicle being called the Mustang Mach-E. So I need to wonder what I will purchase when I need to replace my older MKZ. That is something worth worrying about for me.

Again, just my own opinion. Good luck to all.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
Hi gang. Ignoring the politicization of the subject, this is simply an opinion here (mine of course): As the previous owner of 5 Mustang GT's (all black, all factory ordered new), Ford using the Mustang name to create an electric vehicle line did not bother me in the least. I have more important things to worry about in life (my opinion, of course).

Also, the Mustang Mach-E does not run out of steam at highway speeds, unless the highway in discussion is the Autobahn. In the American stop light/highway races of 0-60. 0-80 etc, a Mustang Mach-E GT will smoke our cars and many other higher performance ICE vehicles. And this is simply the initial electric offering from Ford. They will only get better, and faster. I also wonder just how fast do we really need to go? Most cars/vehicles already outstrip their owners driving skills and ability to control them properly. And more importantly for some, their common sense.

Do they cost more than most of us would like to pay? Yes, of course they do. Just like all new technology, it costs more until it hits the mainstream. Like Flatscreen TV's and a hundred other new products and technologies that can be named. But heck, we are all going to complain about the costs of everything anyway, even the cars we actually own. So many Fusion Sport owners still complain about the cost of a Fusion Sport? Of source, that is until someone points out that another competing car may be faster, then we brag about the other car costing more. Ironic, don'tcha think? ;)
And some of the same people who sometimes complain about low fuel economy in our cars are some of the same people who complain about the government requiring higher fuel economy in cars. Ironic again, don'tcha think? ;)

Do I love my ICE vehicles? Yes. Will I miss them eventually? To be honest, despite all "the sky is falling" worries, they will still be around for my lifetime and the lifetime of most of us here.

Are electric vehicles currently inconvenient for many owners? Yes, of course. For example...Those who do not own their own homes and would have charging issues. And for those who travel long distances in one drive regularly (let's say over 250~300 miles). Those issues will need to be addressed and will be with newer technologies. But most of us will never need to worry about these issues in our lifetimes.

Will I purchase a Mustang Mach-E soon? Nope, I have no plans to, because I am not a CUV/SUV fan. I prefer cars. Traditional coupes and sedans, as my previous and current car ownership attests to. In fact, I am more aggravated about Ford eliminating traditional cars/sedans than I am about a vehicle being called the Mustang Mach-E. So I need to wonder what I will purchase when I need to replace my older MKZ. That is something worth worrying about for me.

Again, just my own opinion. Good luck to all.
Congrats BBF, another smart and even mannered take. I am glad you are able to look at the naming situation objectively, and not be a grown man angry at a car company for naming something wrong.

I also agree that similar to climate change, guns, and whatever polarizing issue, the total removal of fossil-fueled vehicles from society is alarmism at its best, stoked by those on both sides to continue selling ads to our increasingly distracted eyes. Despite what many regulators might say, I doubt any of them are dumb enough to remove fossil fuels totally from society with EVs at the state they are in, and the only reason they may try is to appeal to their voter bases. However, I strongly suspect that even they will relent once they understand how unfeasible the total removal of fossil fuels is from society.

Ultimately I don't think ICE cars will ever fully go away, at worst they'll be relegated to collector's items which you may need a special license to operate, and fuel stations will be more sparse than today. But I am not too worried about it, as the majority of people moving to EVs will undoubtedly help the environment and air quality, not to mention helping increase funding to greener alternatives like nuclear, hydro, solar, etc.

My advice to the forum members here would be to realize that none of us are immune to propaganda on either side and that we must always be sure we are not getting stoked to anger by unrealistic claims.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could be. However, I prefer to liken the negativity to a movie critic. The move critic may think the new Spiderman movie is mundane while the average comic book fan may think it's an epic adventure.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Well stated. After reading your post, I feel a tiny bit like a hypocrite because I used to make lots of lewd comments in the midst of my family members directed toward Prius (aka Pry-ass) drivers. So when I decided to try the Mach-E GT, my family castigated me to no end. Also, I swore I'd never drive a SUV....I'm catching it for that as well...Although, truth be told, I'm surprised how much my ego can endure just to experience those pretty decent performance #s of the Mach-E.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well stated. After reading your post, I feel a tiny bit like a hypocrite because I used to make lots of lewd comments in the midst of my family members directed toward Prius (aka Pry-ass) drivers. So when I decided to try the Mach-E GT, my family castigated me to no end. Also, I swore I'd never drive a SUV....I'm catching it for that as well...Although, truth be told, I'm surprised how much my ego can endure just to experience those pretty decent performance #s of the Mach-E.
Well the only people who need to be happy with it are the owners. It's your SUV, so if you're down with it, that's all that matters, right? Like I said, even though I may not sound like it, I really do think that for a lot of folks a Mach-E would be a really good SUV. But it just all depends on whether you wanted an electric SUV.

I consider them to be in no way a replacement for a luxury sport or performance sedan, or really any car, for that matter. But for a lot of people, if you're okay with the limitations, it has a lot going for it. It doesn't have to be my thing for me to understand that and respect it.

For me though, the limitations are way too much, and cost way too high, to be worth it. For me, I mean. But again, I'd certainly take one over a Prius.
Ford>Toyota every time.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a nightmare that due to a series of unforeseen events, Ford found themselves facing a sudden public rejection of SUVs and demand for midsized sedans without anything at all in development. So for the 2023 model year they made a deal with KIA to rebadge Stingers as Fusions just like they did in the Eighties with the KIA-built Ford Festiva! I woke up screaming!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had a nightmare that due to a series of unforeseen events, Ford found themselves facing a sudden public rejection of SUVs and demand for midsized sedans without anything at all in development. So for the 2023 model year they made a deal with KIA to rebadge Stingers as Fusions just like they did in the Eighties with the KIA-built Ford Festiva! I woke up screaming!
Brings back memories of my old Ford Aspire, which I think was actually a Kia Rio or something. I read recently those Kia Rios made a list of Worst Cars Ever or some such. Mine was okay for me at the time, probably because it was brand new, but it took forever and a year to get up to 60 MPH, and had nothing left once you got there. Really, really basic car, but it got me back and forth to work. Well, until the day it snowed and I had to drive in to work. Then after that, it never worked right again, and any time it rained on the car, the car would stall and not start for hours. It had to dry out first. My guess is something electrical, but I took it to multiple mechanics, the dealership, my friends who were mechanics, nobody could figure it out. I ended up trading it in because I couldn't have my car stopping on the road because it rained.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Brings back memories of my old Ford Aspire, which I think was actually a Kia Rio or something. I read recently those Kia Rios made a list of Worst Cars Ever or some such. Mine was okay for me at the time, probably because it was brand new, but it took forever and a year to get up to 60 MPH, and had nothing left once you got there. Really, really basic car, but it got me back and forth to work. Well, until the day it snowed and I had to drive in to work. Then after that, it never worked right again, and any time it rained on the car, the car would stall and not start for hours. It had to dry out first. My guess is something electrical, but I took it to multiple mechanics, the dealership, my friends who were mechanics, nobody could figure it out. I ended up trading it in because I couldn't have my car stopping on the road because it rained.
Hi Engineer. Perhaps it was an advanced safety feature designed to keep you from driving in adverse/dangerous conditions? You may be alive today due to that feature. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
Ha! I owned a GEO Metro hatch-back, back in the 90's, brand new. 3 Cylinder. You had to turn the AC off when getting on an on-ramp, just so you wouldn't get run over.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Ha! I owned a GEO Metro hatch-back, back in the 90's, brand new. 3 Cylinder. You had to turn the AC off when getting on an on-ramp, just so you wouldn't get run over.:rolleyes:
My girlfriend really wants one of those cars because she thinks they are cute. I bet a test drive in one would quickly dispel that particular wish. XD

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
Drove it across Kansas headed to Denver, CO. Driving into a headwind blowing so hard, i rarely could get above 60 MPH. Let not talk about climbing into Denver. Let's just say, NO!!! Don't Do it!!

• Haha
Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My girlfriend really wants one of those cars because she thinks they are cute. I bet a test drive in one would quickly dispel that particular wish. XD
I'd have her test drive a Focus ST, then after that have her drive an old Geo Metro if you can find one. You'll have an easy time selling her on the Ford. 😉

I should also add, if you actually do have her do this, I'd go for one with an automatic (I think only some of the later ones have that option), not the manual. Their manual dual clutch has had some problems, so you'd want either the manual, or at least to make sure that DCT was fixed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had a kid want to race me in his ST, that was until I told him what I was driving. He then said after looking at me for a moment. Oh, never mind. LOL :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd have her test drive a Focus ST, then after that have her drive an old Geo Metro if you can find one. You'll have an easy time selling her on the Ford. 😉

I should also add, if you actually do have her do this, I'd go for one with an automatic (I think only some of the later ones have that option), not the manual. Their manual dual clutch has had some problems, so you'd want either the manual, or at least to make sure that DCT was fixed.
I have to agree on the ST. I had one. Not to be critical but a little too much power for a FWD car. Although, I very much enjoyed smoking the front tires! The RS version of the Focus is AWD....much more manageable & powerful...and expensive!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have to agree on the ST. I had one. Not to be critical but a little too much power for a FWD car. Although, I very much enjoyed smoking the front tires! The RS version of the Focus is AWD....much more manageable & powerful...and expensive!
My modded & tuned 2010 Fusion Sport FWD could and did regularly beat Focus STs in street racing scenarios mostly because the ST couldn’t hook up or shift gears as fast. I drove a couple STs and they were an absolute hoot, but as far as my needs at the time, that 2010 Fusion was a near-perfect compromise. The only thing that could have been better was AWD and a wagon body…
My dream car now: a 3.0L Ecoboost AWD wagon like if the Lincoln Aviator was a wagon and not an SUV. I love the styling and size of the Aviator. If only it could be slammed to a normal sedan height without riding like it had concrete blocks for suspension.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts