Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll post this here.

I asked Livernois if they were planning on "tuning" the suspension.
This is what I got.

Ethan (Support) <[email protected]>
Sep 26, 08:37 COT

Hello Jim

That function is controlled by a separate body module, we do not yet offer any adjustments for that.

Thanks,
Ethan

jim
Sep 25, 12:42 COT

Any chance you will be eventually tuning the electronic damping. Just curious, is the suspension controlled by eng/trans ECM or a separate body module?

----------------------------------------------

I would think with more and more cars coming with some form of adj suspension,
someone would want to get on the ground floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tuning the suspension is not a simple task. I work for a suspension company currently developing the same active damper system on other manufacturers. The control logic is extremely complicated with many pages of Matlab scripts and dozens of nested Simulink models that gather data from all of the sensors and outputs a voltage to the dampers. And that is just to communicate to the dampers not including any actual tuning work. The only way to change the damper tune is to either somehow get access to the exact models used or to create your own (Extremely difficult) and flash to the damper control unit. It's not impossible, but I would be surprised if any company will take the time to do this unless ford releases some sort of tuning module on their own.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Fusion Sport suspension is all Voodoo...no witchcraft parts available yet haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scoobykvn,

Would there be a way to electronically up the stiffness uniformly without affecting the other aspects of the shock tune? Like perhaps using a chip or other electronic device to adjust the voltage to the shocks?

Also, do you know what happens if the shocks are disconnected completely from electronic input?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scoobykvn,

Would there be a way to electronically up the stiffness uniformly without affecting the other aspects of the shock tune? Like perhaps using a chip or other electronic device to adjust the voltage to the shocks?

Also, do you know what happens if the shocks are disconnected completely from electronic input?

Thanks.
I would have to investigate it more, but I don't really think it would be possible to do this, at least not with the control logic I have seen.

When the dampers lose power they go into a fail safe mode which is basically a twin tube damper with some mid range damping force.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. With the 13-14 Shelby GT500 I had heard that having the shocks/struts disconnected caused them to go to the stiffest setting, but I understand that is a different system than we are discussing here. Further, I am not even sure that is actually true. I appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tuning the suspension is not a simple task. I work for a suspension company currently developing the same active damper system on other manufacturers. The control logic is extremely complicated with many pages of Matlab scripts and dozens of nested Simulink models that gather data from all of the sensors and outputs a voltage to the dampers. And that is just to communicate to the dampers not including any actual tuning work. The only way to change the damper tune is to either somehow get access to the exact models used or to create your own (Extremely difficult) and flash to the damper control unit. It's not impossible, but I would be surprised if any company will take the time to do this unless ford releases some sort of tuning module on their own.

Is this from the pothole detection? I'd give that up in a heartbeat to get a suspension that firms HARD
@ the detection of a certain level increase in lateral accel and steering wheel rate of change.
With an override to keep it there for extended spirited driving. Maybe the sport struts just
can't do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts