Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello all. I bought my Sport almost a month ago and have accumulated almost 1300 miles thus far. The car is awesome! My favorite by far thus far!! There are a few little concerns that have been brought to my attention while driving, and I was hoping someone could maybe explain them to me. The first one is with the transmission. I've read that it does shift a little slow and now have experienced it but it almost seems like its slipping sometimes. Has horrible rev hang for say. The gearing also seems very high in the first and second gears. Is this normal? Another issue is the gas gauge. I came from a car that had a digital one, so it might just be me but it seems to fluctuate all over. Last issue is with the parking brake. Im one too set it whenever there is any sort of incline/decline. Can someone explain the exact way to apply and release the brake, while putting the car into reverse. I have had some not so nice noises engaging it into reverse/forward. It might just be me but it seems like there is something off. Any information would be greatly appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Perhaps I can give you some tips to shed some light on the matter:

The whole poor shifting issues can relate to the PCM pulling timing abruptly and causing the transmission and engine to hold back. This is why Ford and Lincoln deem it "normal" even though it is unnerving to many owners. It is not to say the 6F55 transmission hardware sucks, but due to many other potential factors that are making the computer system unhappy. The PCM makes educated guesses, and with that can come irregularities in performance even if in reality, things are still safe. Other factors can be throttle and wheel positioning sensors "anticipating" the driver is trying to apply too much power while turning the vehicle, and prevent them from losing control. If any sensor voltage has a little brain fart, it can affect the hardware response time to the PCM and ultimately, diminish desired performance. Being AWD, the PTU and RDU may also get commanded to hold back as well and affect desired performance.

For the fuel gauge: It estimates based on the computer's fuel economy measurements. One may notice after a long trip, then filling up, the reported miles to E have increased. Whereas with more City and Stop n Go driving, the total mileage to E has dropped after a fill up. It never gives off a true value of how much fuel actually is in the gas tank, as there is about 30 to 50 miles of reserve fuel that is "hidden" even if 0 miles to E is hit.

As for transmission and parking brake noises: Until mechanical parts are well warmed up with use, such parts often get stiff after sitting and cooling down. It is also an option to lightly tap the accelerator pedal while the E-Brake is engaged and it will automatically disengage when in Drive or Reserve gears. Otherwise, just holding the brake in while switching gears, then releasing is fine. It just may make some noise especially after sitting for awhile.

Hope that gives a little insight. Again, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wanted to give some insight tips on the matter, but I guess due to message length it was denied. *Groan*

The whole poor shifting issues can relate to the PCM pulling timing abruptly and causing the transmission and engine to hold back. This is why Ford and Lincoln deem it "normal" even though it is unnerving to many owners. It is not to say the 6F55 transmission hardware sucks, but due to many other potential factors that are making the computer system unhappy. Other factors can be throttle and wheel positioning sensors "anticipating" the driver is trying to apply too much power while turning the vehicle, and prevent them from losing control. If any sensor voltage has a little brain fart, it can affect the hardware response time to the PCM and ultimately, diminish desired performance. Being AWD, the PTU and RDU may also get commanded to hold back as well and affect desired performance. Ultimately this vast array of readings can easily trip up the shifting experience and is expected in hotter, higher powerful vehicles.

For the fuel gauge: It estimates based on the computer's fuel economy measurements. One may notice after a long trip, then filling up, the reported miles to E have increased. Whereas with more City and Stop n Go driving, the total mileage to E has dropped after a fill up. It never gives off a true value of how much fuel actually is in the gas tank, as there is about 30 to 50 miles of reserve fuel that is "hidden" even if 0 miles to E is hit.

As for transmission and parking brake noises: Until mechanical parts are well warmed up with use, such parts often get stiff after sitting and cooling down. It is also an option to lightly tap the accelerator pedal while the E-Brake is engaged and it will automatically disengage when in Drive or Reserve gears. Otherwise, just holding the brake in while switching gears, then releasing is fine. It just may make some noise especially after sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can someone explain the exact way to apply and release the brake, while putting the car into reverse.
Stop the car, while foot is on the brake set the parking break. Rotate the gear selector to N. Release brake pedal. Now all of the weight of the car is on the parking brake and not the parking tab in the transmission. Rotate gear selector to P. To go, press brake pedal, then release parking brake, then select gear and go. There should be no noise at all. This is what I do every time and I have never heard any mechanical noise from my transmission in and out of Park. If there is weight on the parking tab in the transmission it will make mechanical noise when it is moved from the park position. I know a lot of people just put it in Park and get out, but I have read the best practice is what I stated above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I should have stated the Neutral stop on the way to park is really for parking on an incline. On relatively flat ground, I just go straight to Park while setting the parking brake with my foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your guys responses. This has helped solved the issues I was concerned with. Well at least helped me understand my vehicle more clearly. Appreciate it! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts