Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new to the Fusion Sport but not to the EB. Previously had a 2015 SHO with PP however, it met an unfortunate demise at about 95K miles as documented in my post on the SHO forum:

So I was suddenly in the market for a replacement. My primary factors were that it be an “unusual” sport sedan with AWD that an adult would drive as I live in WI and it would be a DD, even in winter. I’m 72 so no ricer cars either. Nothing German as I didn’t want to “total out” the car for an oil change (slight exaggeration). I considered:

1). Another SHO, but no CPO (gold) with PP anywhere in the US. Found a 2018 with gold CPO but no PP in MI with 24K miles for $36K. Blue color which I like. But wife didn[t want to go that far to buy a car.

2. Kia Stinger GT2 AWD. Could not get myself up to purchasing a $40K+ used Kia. Probably would have had to debadge it so I could look at it each day. Also would be a “ricer” but large enough to be more adult. They have a CPO warranty that is similar to Ford’s.

3. Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport AWD. I’m an Alfisti (Alfa fan), so was really interested in this. Yes, parts probably match German prices, but Alfa has the best CPO warranty. Its 5 years or 100K miles that covers over 5000 parts AFTER the original warranty expires, which is 4 years or 50K miles with no deductible. Also very few available in the entire US and all were far away (east coast, south, west coast). So like the SHO, wife vetoed. Prices ranged from about 35 to 45K depending upon year and miles. I did scratch my Alfa itch by purchasing a 1994 Spider with 72K miles that spent it’s entire life in Hawaii and CA, so should be pretty rust free on eBay for $7200 (about half the normal going price).

4. Ford Fusion Sport. Was looking at these along with the SHO, but was really wanting an Alfa. After purchasing the Spider, I began looking at these more seriously. Found a 2018 in Magnetic metallic with 36K miles for just under $30K. Thought it was a gold CPO, but when we visited the dealer, it as the blue CPO (only 3 months, 3K warranty). Told our sales person I through it was gold and told him that is what I really wanted to protect against PTU and other failures associated with the EB. He called his manager and they gave me the gold package for no extra cost. So we purchased it.

Picked it up last Tuesday and really enjoying it. Similar performance as the SHO based upon my butt dyno, but smaller with only slightly less rear seat legroom. Checking, it appears that the winter tires I had for the SHO will also fit, which is a plus. This was originally a Canadian car, and we had to sign a form indicating that we was aware of that. The original window sticker was a bit strange, as it listed the 401A (V6 Sport Upgrade Package and Driver Assist Package), 50 state emissions, lane keeping system, blind sport detection and sync connect as options, however, the only option charge was $100 for federal excise tax. Stickered at $45,138, which I assume was Canadian, not US dollars. After spending some time with it, however, it seems to be fully optioned, including parking assist, Sony radio, and adaptive cruise with lane keeping, etc. (Lane keeping is currently turned off).

Looking forward to getting to know our new (to us) FFS and I’m sure this board will be a big help

Tom

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome, Tom! In my opinion, you made the right choice. Alot of good people here and willing to answer questions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This was originally a Canadian car, and we had to sign a form indicating that we was aware of that. The original window sticker was a bit strange, as it listed the 401A (V6 Sport Upgrade Package and Driver Assist Package), 50 state emissions, lane keeping system, blind sport detection and sync connect as options, however, the only option charge was $100 for federal excise tax. Stickered at $45,138, which I assume was Canadian, not US dollars.
yeah that sounds right. In Canada the FFS was only sold as "fully loaded", so there are no functional options to add to the sticker (other than paint color)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome from up North. Bluedot is correct, the Canadian 401A was fully loaded. When I bought mine, the only extra was the 3M clear protector for the front. The 45k would be CAD.

Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you all really need another photo of a magnetic (dark gray) metallic completely stock 2018?:):rolleyes: Only had it less than a week or so.

BTW, I forgot to mention that prior to the Gen 4/5 SHO with EB, I had two Gen 3's with the transverse FWD V8 made by a combination of Ford and Yamaha (a 97 and 99, last year). Got too hard to find the SHO specific parts, so purchased the Gen 4/5.

If a CPO Alfa Giulia Ti Sport was available within reasonable driving distance, I probably would have purchased that as 4 cars from one make is pretty much for us (except for Jeeps). I'm sure we'll enjoy the FFS, as well as my Alfa Spider when the nice weather returns.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
213 Posts
"Do you all really need another photo of a magnetic (dark gray) metallic completely stock 2018?:):rolleyes: Only had it less than a week or so. "

Yes , because it does not exist unless we see proof. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For everyone that wants to see photos of another bone stock magnetic FFS, here they are.

Slowly learning about the car. Really enjoying Sport mode. The ride seems similar to my SHO with the PP. Much smoother in Normal and more like a normal SHO. Could do without "increased engine noise" that probably is just a soundtrack played through the radio speakers. Would also be nice to pick and choose what "enhancements" are on in the sport setting (stiffer suspension and steering only for me in normal driving).

I am hoping to use the winter tires, Blizzack DM-V2 on Tire Rack Sport Edition rims, I had from my deceased 2015 SHO (235/55R18, minus 2 sizes from the OEM 20's to get more sidewall to better handle potholes, etc) in comparison to the 235/40R19 Firestone Firehawk AS currently on the car, which according to reviews on Tire Rack are worthless in snow. Both have similar revs/mile and overall diameter. Will try to mount one to see if wheels need to be drilled for 14 mm vs. 12 mm studs). Some places say yes, they need to be drilled, others say the tolerance is enough that no drilling is needed. Backspacing/offset and hub bore are the same for both wheels. Also, Tire Rack says that TPMS's are different between the two cars. This may be true because SHO only turned on a low tire warning light but did not show individual tire pressures, which is available on the FFS. Also, Tire Rack says that TPMS's are different between the two cars. This may be true because SHO only turned on a low tire warning light but did not show individual tire pressures, which is available on the FFS. I know I'll also need new lug nuts, because the SHO wheels need 19 mm hex, which are available from Dorman and Tire Rack.

Also, does anyone know if you can get the Ford nav map to show on the display home screen when my phone is plugged in and CarPlay is active. Press the Ford Sync app on the CarPlay screen, which gets back to the home screen, but the map doesn't display and the smaller right screen in the instrument cluster just says "see touchscreen" with compass.

All for now

Tom

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: Fozzy and Gregg1LE

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
On the piece about having sport suspension and steering in normal mode, you could just enable the CCD control in the IPC and get that. That's totally doable. My car has that ability now, as do many others on here. It's not how I run mine currently, but I can go into the menu and set that any time I want (even while I'm driving).

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
213 Posts
For everyone that wants to see photos of another bone stock magnetic FFS, here they are.

Slowly learning about the car. Really enjoying Sport mode. The ride seems similar to my SHO with the PP. Much smoother in Normal and more like a normal SHO. Could do without "increased engine noise" that probably is just a soundtrack played through the radio speakers. Would also be nice to pick and choose what "enhancements" are on in the sport setting (stiffer suspension and steering only for me in normal driving).

I am hoping to use the winter tires, Blizzack DM-V2 on Tire Rack Sport Edition rims, I had from my deceased 2015 SHO (235/55R18, minus 2 sizes from the OEM 20's to get more sidewall to better handle potholes, etc) in comparison to the 235/40R19 Firestone Firehawk AS currently on the car, which according to reviews on Tire Rack are worthless in snow. Both have similar revs/mile and overall diameter. Will try to mount one to see if wheels need to be drilled for 14 mm vs. 12 mm studs). Some places say yes, they need to be drilled, others say the tolerance is enough that no drilling is needed. Backspacing/offset and hub bore are the same for both wheels. Also, Tire Rack says that TPMS's are different between the two cars. This may be true because SHO only turned on a low tire warning light but did not show individual tire pressures, which is available on the FFS. Also, Tire Rack says that TPMS's are different between the two cars. This may be true because SHO only turned on a low tire warning light but did not show individual tire pressures, which is available on the FFS. I know I'll also need new lug nuts, because the SHO wheels need 19 mm hex, which are available from Dorman and Tire Rack.

Also, does anyone know if you can get the Ford nav map to show on the display home screen when my phone is plugged in and CarPlay is active. Press the Ford Sync app on the CarPlay screen, which gets back to the home screen, but the map doesn't display and the smaller right screen in the instrument cluster just says "see touchscreen" with compass.

All for now

Tom

View attachment 28879
View attachment 28878
Looks like you are heading in the right direction with your FFS. Very sharp car !

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome. Glad you're enjoying it.
With Forscan you can set the firmer steering and suspension in normal. I havent done it but there are threads in the forum you can search for.
If you have Apple play/ car play then you have run navigation off of the phone and it won't display on the dash.
Engine noise i the cabin is allegedly from microphones in the engine compartment that filters through certain frequencies. Not sure how true this is. Possible to switch off using Forscan also.
All the best

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Welcome. Glad you're enjoying it.
With Forscan you can set the firmer steering and suspension in normal. I havent done it but there are threads in the forum you can search for.
If you have Apple play/ car play then you have run navigation off of the phone and it won't display on the dash.
Engine noise i the cabin is allegedly from microphones in the engine compartment that filters through certain frequencies. Not sure how true this is. Possible to switch off using Forscan also.
All the best
I agree with what @Fozzy said about the engine noise, as far as being able to turn it off with Forscan if you want. There are whole threads on the subject of the engine noise, many on this forum. There are various opinions on what the sounds actually are. Some say it's totally fake, some say it's piped in directly from the engine. I don't know. I think, personally, after reading a lot about it, that the truth is somewhere in the middle. I leave it on though because I think it actually sounds pretty good. If I could make it just a little louder than it is in Sport I probably would, but that's just me. Some people hate it and shut it off. Some of the people who have shut it off have since turned it back on because they miss it.

If you do turn it off, just keep in mind that will also shut off the electronic noise cancellation system that makes the cabin quieter and reduces outside noise. By turning that off, you turn off the sound processing, which handles both the nose cancellation and the engine sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts