Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of 2017 Fusion sport. 66K miles. I've been trying to read up on things but wanted some opinions on what I've observed thus far: Have put about 700 miles on it since I bought it.

Sloshing water sound: Sounds like water sloshing behind the dash or above. I've read that it could be coolant, but I don't really understand why a system under some pressure would do that. Fluid level is fine. I took one posts advice and filled it up to max. Made no difference. I was wondering, could there be water in the body? 'A' pillar or roof or cowl? I guess when it freezes, if the sloshing stops thats a good guess.

Oil smell and stain: Have noticed very small oil stains where I have been parking. Been reading this is possibly an issue with oil pan? Additionally, since it has gotten cold, I've been using remote start and when I approach the car after a few minutes of warming up, i get a reek of oil smell? I wouldn't think the oil pan would drip to where it would burn oil, so what could that be? Its not an onion smell that I've read about.

Rear vibration between 45-55 mph: When reaching this speed, I get a annoying vibration out of the rear right wheel, like it's constantly hitting a small bump. I don't experience this above or below that speed. There is some faint noise at all speeds and I can't for sure tell if it's tire noise or wheel bearing noise. I'm aware of wheel bearing noise, but would they thunk or vibrate only at certain speeds? Any other ideas?

Guy I bought it from said its always been dealer serviced, and at least the last oil change backs that up. I don't have a garage to do quick tests, but have access to one to check on a bunch of stuff at once, so hoping for some advice to check for everything at one go.

Otherwise I like the car so far, I hope these are not issues that cause me regret. I left a 2013 Fusion 1.6 that I really liked but plagued with overheating problems and coolant loss I just couldn't deal with anymore. Having to check the coolant daily just to hope you make it to work and back is no fun.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Kevin, Welcome to the family!!

Yes the water sound is the heater coil behind the dash. As Johtin says overfill the coolant reservoir by a few ounces. Start the engine and get the car up to normal temp. Raise your temp on the environmental controls up until the heat comes on and either drive around for about 30 minutes are sit and let the car run. While the engine is running and at temp, pop the hood and see if the coolant level has dropped. You should see some drop. It may take a few cycles of this to get all the air out. I know it took me a half a jug of coolant to finally get it done.

Right Vibration the way you describe it, could be a couple of things. Bad Strut, flat spotted tire, worse case, bad bearing.
Check you lug nuts and make sure torqued to 150 ft lbs.

Oil smell, you are correct in about the location of the oil pan and issues with them. Might want to check and see that the oil filter cap (passenger side, top rear of engine compartment) is on snug and not leaking onto the engine. Those caps often get cross threaded. Maybe could be that the last oil change, they spilled oil down the front of the engine. The only way you are going to be sure is to remove that belly cover and have a good look-see.

Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy the care as much as most of us do.

Reactions: VelocityBrew

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yup. I have a 2019 and since day 1 it has had the "waterfall" sound. Overfill coolant, never hear it again.
Regarding the coolant issue try over filling it above the max that fixed the water sound for me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Overfill the coolant tank to the weld line between the upper and lower halfs. The max fill line is at the same height as the heater core, the water level needs to be higher to push out the bubble.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yup. I have a 2019 and since day 1 it has had the "waterfall" sound. Overfill coolant, never hear it again.
Same here. 2019 bought in March. Had to over fill the coolant. Mine also was very low on transmission fluid too. Nothing on the trans dipstick at all. AND this is after two dealership provided oil changes where they "claimed" to have checked it. I gave them a very loud and stern warning about that. If they state on the work order they checked something they had better damn well have checked it.

Reactions: VelocityBrew

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oh also! Since we mentioned coolant, make sure if you care to make the switch to motorcraft yellow coolant!

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
58 Posts
Oh also! Since we mentioned coolant, make sure if you care to make the switch to motorcraft yellow coolant!
Why switch to the yellow coolant? Sorry to revive this thread also. 😂

·
Registered
307 Posts

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for the advice on the coolant, what a weird engineering flaw. Haven't had a chance to solve my rear wheel issue nor oil smell however, still leaning towards bearing on rear right side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts