Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Ottawa, Ontario! After placing my factory order April 21st, I took delivery of my Magnetic 2017 Fusion Sport June 26th and I've been loving the car so far!

I have almost 1700km's on the car, continuing to break in until 2000km just to be safe. I've also gotten surprisingly good fuel economy thus far, averaging 10.2L per 100km or 23mpg on Petro Canada 94 Octane. I will admit to driving rather conservatively by not going above 4000rpm as recommended but with so much on tap I have not really needed it in real world driving.

I have a number of questions that Ford Canada can't / won't answer and that my dealership has no idea how to answer it seems. So I was hoping you folks could either give me a more definitive answer or at least point me in the right direction and yes I know some of these questions have been briefly covered in other threads but the discussion either died prematurely or were very vague. I apologize for the length in advance.

1: Recommended Fuel Octane

Its indicated that the 2.7L Ecoboost in my vehicle requires a minimum Octane of 87 but its HP / Torque numbers are quoted as using 93 Octane. Unfortunately where I live in Ontario, 93 is not really available anywhere but 94 Octane is. I've read higher octane fuels can also be bad for various powertrains.

Would it be better for me use 94 or 91 Octane in my situation as neither are the recommended 93. Also can variations in fuel octane affect the engine negatively (e.g. switching from 91 to 87 back to 91)?

2: AWD and tire wear

Since my vehicles AWD is not always active, will my tires still wear at the same rate as they would typically do with a 4x4 vehicle? Or should I have them rotated? I'm coming from a FWD Fiesta so a long term owners take would be great.

3: Adaptive Cruise Control, always braking?

When using the Fusions adaptive cruise control feature, when decreasing or increasing the distance from the lead vehicle slowly (e.g. going 100kmph with lead vehicle slowly going down to 90kmph) does the car always apply the brakes with brake lights to slow the car or does it engine brake slightly as to not be constantly on the brakes?

Obviously under rapidly decreasing speed the car would brake but I'm curious as to know if this is also the case with the typical fluctuation of speeds on a highway provided proper distance is given?

4: Factory New Engine Oil, is it special?

I've read that some automotive manufacturers with factory new vehicles have additives to oil to help break the car in properly. They do not recommend changing the oil prior to recommended intervals.

I cannot find anywhere that Ford does this so would it be ok if I were to change the engine oil at lets say 5000km to Fords recommended premium synthetic motor oil to avoid any engine break in residue or should I go the recommended oil interval on the initial factory oil due to a special additive?

5: Fuel Reserve

When fuelling up the first 4 times I noticed I was getting low fuel warnings (80km or less) but when filling up I was only filling up 50-54 L of the 68.5L fuel tank of vehicle. Is it just a misreading or is it programmed to have such a large fuel reserve?

6: Parking Sensors, control?

I love that my vehicle has 360 degree sensors to help me avoid curbing those awesome gun metal rims but I've found the sensors only turn on consistently when in reserve. I read in the manual that when moving slowly (ex, less than 15kmph) the sensors turn on to guide in parking / low speed maneuvers. They don't seem to activate constantly when moving forward at low speeds. Is this a potential defect or do I have the option to turn on manually when I would like to use them?

Thank you for any insights or clarifications!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Welcome and you bought the best and fastest color.
1. For the best performance I would run the 94 octane and it won't cause any issues. I think a few Canadian owners on here run 94.
2. You'll still have to rotate as normal since its FWD bias along with the weight of the motor causing more wear then the rear.
3. No adaptive CC for me.
4. Ford uses a synthetic blend so you can change it out with full synthetic at anytime. They use no additives for the break in period.
5. I thought the when the low fuel light comes on, you have 3 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your insight Vert!

The fuel thing is bugging me honestly, 3 gallons is about 11.5L so maybe its working just fine?

·
Registered
113 Posts
According to ford-dot-com the Fusion Sport AWD has a fuel capacity of 18 gallons.

I drove until the trip meter said I had 11 miles left, and when I filled up it took 16.1 gallons.
So I could probably have driven another 60 or 70 miles.

·
Registered
186 Posts

When using the Fusions adaptive cruise control feature, when decreasing or increasing the distance from the lead vehicle slowly (e.g. going 100kmph with lead vehicle slowly going down to 90kmph) does the car always apply the brakes with brake lights to slow the car or does it engine brake slightly as to not be constantly on the brakes?

Obviously under rapidly decreasing speed the car would brake but I'm curious as to know if this is also the case with the typical fluctuation of speeds on a highway provided proper distance is given?
I've been driving with ACC daily for nearly a year now, and wouldn't be without it. It makes CC useful again. Emergency braking (and pedestrian detection) is a separate function of ACC and is functional whether CC is engaged or not. Normally ACC just controls the throttle. The car applies the brakes if you're closing too quickly on the vehicle ahead-- and you don't brake yourself. If the vehicle ahead slows very quickly, if you approach a stopped or slow vehicle, or if someone cuts you off, it may brake very aggressively. I also have lane keeping,which I find far less useful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been driving with ACC daily for nearly a year now, and wouldn't be without it. It makes CC useful again. Emergency braking (and pedestrian detection) is a separate function of ACC and is functional whether CC is engaged or not. Normally ACC just controls the throttle. The car applies the brakes if you're closing too quickly on the vehicle ahead-- and you don't brake yourself. If the vehicle ahead slows very quickly, if you approach a stopped or slow vehicle, or if someone cuts you off, it may brake very aggressively. I also have lane keeping,which I find far less useful.
I guess to clarify, when approaching traffic thats a bit slower, does the car brake or lift off the throttle as I would? Basically I'm asking, when ACC is on and in traffic is car always on the brakes when making adjustments?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess to clarify, when approaching traffic thats a bit slower, does the car brake or lift off the throttle as I would? Basically I'm asking, when ACC is on and in traffic is car always on the brakes when making adjustments?
It's hard to tell because there is no indication on the display(s) what it is doing. I am pretty sure it uses throttle lift-off when the speed difference is mild, and it definitely brakes when the difference is high.

Maybe get someone to follow you tell you when they see brake lights?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have 1000's of highway miles on mine and the ACC definitely uses throttle lift and engine braking as the primary method of keeping spacing. It will also brake as required if the obstructing traffic crosses over into your lane or slows fast. I find the cruise incredibly effective at holding distances and adjusting with little feel from inside the vehicle in most instances. The first few times allowing it to brake to a stop from highway speeds is somewhat unnerving, but it does the job well.

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
94 is OK, so is 91. At least with other EcoBoost engines people have found, the difference between 91 and 93 is very small compared to using the minimum octane. 94 won't hurt. If you leave the car tuned stock, switching octanes won't hurt the engine, Ford has it tuned very well to account for anything between regular fuel and premium fuel.

My past experience with our AWD Escapes is that the tires wear pretty even, with very very slightly more wear on the front. Nowhere like an FWD only car. Ford has the AWD programmed to kick on every time you start form a stop, so most of the time using power all 4 wheels get power.

I don't have this in mine either, but my buddy had a dealer loaner '17 Fusion with this recently, it would engine brake if someone in front slowed down, or use the actual brakes if say someone cut you off. SOmeone asked before so I was curious, haha.

Factory oil isn't special in Fords (at least not our cars). Most of us have changed oil at 1,000 miles.

Low Fuel Level warning comes on with 50mi to Empty in the US, so it's calculated depending on your average MPG. However, I've found there is still about two gallons left in the tank after reaching "0 miles DTE". Same on our Escape.

6: Our '16 Escape has the 360 degree sensors, and I too have found that the front sensors are always active when parking (when the car is barely moving), however I've slowed down to 10MPH and they haven't always activated. It seems the front ones take a second or two to react.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry for copying the last answer (too lazy to write the questions)

Hi! I'm from the Ottawa region as well and i think i might of seen you yesterday in Orleans???

I only use Shell 91 in my car... I get the occasional 94 at petro once in a while though.

Just do a tire rotation every oil change and you will be extending the life of your tires.

LOLOL -- I had to test this with a friend... The brake lights do come on... But for slowing down, it will often use engine braking. (it basically mimics if you were driving)

Nothing special here

You should see it go on at about 80km remaining in the tank... There's a video on youtube from autovlog that tests how long you can go once it hits "0" km remaining.. (i think he drove like an extra 40 miles or something crazy)

6: This is sporadic behavior. Sometimes in drive thru they get triggered by the car in front and the wall beside me. (sometimes). But every time i back up in my garage, they always work...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for copying the last answer (too lazy to write the questions)

Hi! I'm from the Ottawa region as well and i think i might of seen you yesterday in Orleans???

I only use Shell 91 in my car... I get the occasional 94 at petro once in a while though.

Just do a tire rotation every oil change and you will be extending the life of your tires.

LOLOL -- I had to test this with a friend... The brake lights do come on... But for slowing down, it will often use engine braking. (it basically mimics if you were driving)

Nothing special here

You should see it go on at about 80km remaining in the tank... There's a video on youtube from autovlog that tests how long you can go once it hits "0" km remaining.. (i think he drove like an extra 40 miles or something crazy)

6: This is sporadic behavior. Sometimes in drive thru they get triggered by the car in front and the wall beside me. (sometimes). But every time i back up in my garage, they always work...
If you're the black one I've seen twice around Cumberland / Rockland that would had been me. Gotta take it down Old Montreal Rd a few times and maybe a few speed runs on some of the empty back roads since I'm over 2000km's.

Thank you all for the awesome input, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Agree with all the feedback. Just wanted to add on the last point that cross traffic alert only works in reverse. Front sensors work on proximity when parking and pedestrian sensing as well. I got miffed it wasnt working when crawling out my drive onto traffic. Ended up getting the answer from the manual. Go figure.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ended up getting the answer from the manual. Go figure.
Wow, that is surprising.
Last night I wanted to buy some wiperblades and for the life of me couldn't find it anywhere in the manual. Store that actually didn't even open until 2016 had a find your size book that didn't have anything newer than 2015 cars in it, nice job Meijers. On the online Ford owners area you can find how to videos on how to replace them, but do you think they could actually mention the size anywhere? Nope.
Both are 28in by the way according to Trico.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm, ACC definitely uses engine braking in highway driving but ACC also works in traffic jam, the car would stop itself if the traffic stops and would restart on push of ACC button all fully automatic (if you exclude pressing the button). Now during the slow and full stop in traffic, I am not sure but I would expect that car uses actual brakes or at least I dont know other way of stopping the car fully going from 20-30 mph within 70-80 feet, doubt engine braking itself would do it. Which brings again the question - are the brakes in FuSpo "by wire"???

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hmm, ACC definitely uses engine braking in highway driving but ACC also works in traffic jam, the car would stop itself if the traffic stops and would restart on push of ACC button all fully automatic (if you exclude pressing the button). Now during the slow and full stop in traffic, I am not sure but I would expect that car uses actual brakes or at least I dont know other way of stopping the car fully going from 20-30 mph within 70-80 feet, doubt engine braking itself would do it. Which brings again the question - are the brakes in FuSpo "by wire"???
ACC applies brakes if needed. Same with collision avoidance. To really blow your mind, the car can apply brakes to individual wheels. Part of the torrque vectoring control.
Pretty sure brakes and throttle are by wire. I havent got under the car yet but assuming steering is as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just replaced my wiper blades with the TRICO NeoForm (16-2813). Will see if they work as well as the original factory ones. There are very easy to install, took all of 3 minutes to r/r a pair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agree with all the feedback. Just wanted to add on the last point that cross traffic alert only works in reverse. Front sensors work on proximity when parking and pedestrian sensing as well. I got miffed it wasnt working when crawling out my drive onto traffic. Ended up getting the answer from the manual. Go figure.
I know cross traffic is reverse only and I wasn't even talking about it. There is nothing I could find about activating the 360 degree / front parking sensors manually. The only thing in the manual to my knowledge is that they activate when going below 15kmph but they don't always seem to activate constantly, which can be really annoying when parking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you're the black one I've seen twice around Cumberland / Rockland that would had been me. Gotta take it down Old Montreal Rd a few times and maybe a few speed runs on some of the empty back roads since I'm over 2000km's.

Thank you all for the awesome input, I really appreciate it!
Yeah that would be me! Nice to know someone is that close :)

There's a few back roads that are nice for sure! I park at place d'orleans and live in Rockland, so i take Old Montreal rd down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts